• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mols

Mols

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:29 PM

I have been taking Cymbalta for almost a year now, I guess, and I noticed that each time I fall asleep at night and forget to take my medication, the next day I feel miserable. I decided to check out what was going on, I figured it was withdrawal symptoms from not taking Cymbalta, and I guess I was right. I haven't taken it for two days. I was taking 120 mg, but started slowly weaning myself off for the past two weeks. I didn't consult my doctor first, but I left a message for him today. My symptoms are awful. I have never done drugs or been any type of addict, but that is what I feel like right now. I have had diarrhea for a few days, headache, I think my feet are swollen, (but I am also on my period, which really sucks), I can't think clearly, I am exhausted (literally nodding off at work), I have weird dreams that seem so real, tossing and turning at night, trouble waking up in the morning, when I stand up from sitting I feel like fainting, I am very dizzy and light-headed, my stomach hurts, heart racing, out of breath, I feel like I might vomit.....this is awful! What can a do to feel better? I don't want to take Cymbalta again. How long will this last?

#2 tired08

tired08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

First of all withdrawing from an anti-depressant should never be done without your physcicans supervision. Now that being said there are several post on here about successes individuals have had withdrawing correctly because your doctor's way might not be correct either. Mine was so far off it has really cost me. There are some that say you should switch to prozac since it has a longer half life and therefore the withdrawals symptoms aren't as bad. Others take less and less of the drug each day. If I were you I would first be persistent with my doctor and tell him everything I was feeling and see what advice he has for you and see if it matches what others on here are saying. Blessings to you.

#3 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

.this is awful! What can a do to feel better? I don't want to take Cymbalta again. How long will this last?

120mg to cold turkey - whoo-whee That is a huge drop down to nothing. I understand not wanting to take it again, but you should talk to your doctor about options. 120 mg cold turkey probably is not the most comfortable way to get off of Cymbalta safely. If you haven't already taken more cymbalta, and/or talked to or seen your doctor, get to the doc as soon as possible.

How long? That is the golden question. Some people a couple of days, week, two or three weeks, it all depends on your brain chemistry and how it bounces back. Each of us is different. Regretfully, there is no magic number of days for anybody. Some don't have any problems at all, we don't hear from those people, because they didn't have a problem to seek out some support! We have no idea how many people get off of this a-ok.

Let us know how you are doing -

#4 Mols

Mols

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:33 PM

I dropped down gradually myself to 90 to 60 and now I am on nothing and my head is swishing weird and I am so dizzy. I have been sick to my stomach for two days. I am waiting for my doctor to call me back, actually.

#5 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:29 PM

Depending on how long you have been at zero, you may want to consider taking 60 again, and then weaning way down. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=55&p=418&hilit=catherine+s#p418
That is a taper schedule that Catherine used, if you can count those stupid little balls, which I could not. As the others have said, you should work with your doctor on this, just don't do the every other day dose of Cymbalta, which some doctors recommend, because you just keep throwing yourself back into withdrawal every other day.

I dropped from 90 to zero in a week, and then started over again, so I can only imagine how you are feeling! :shock:

#6 Mols

Mols

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:06 PM

I am doing much better today, Finally I didn't have diarrhea! My head is a lil swishy still and I am dizzy, but I am doing so much better! My doctor put me on 20 mg Prozac and things are really looking up.....

#7 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:26 PM

Wonderful! Several people have had good luck with that. Keep us posted!

#8 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:45 PM

On mornings like today, I don't think I have gotten any better even tho' I've been off Cymbalta for over a month and a half......

This is the bottom of the pit...... Really
Greybeard

Yep, that about sums up the worst of the worst. Did you try benadryl? It didn't do anything to help me at all, but others it helped.

You mentioned your animals in another post. My dogs were the most comforting mammals in my life during the first six weeks. My oldest dog is very cat-like an aloof, but when I was at the bottom, his personality really changed, and he got really clingy and loving - his Food Lady was in trouble! He still hasn't reverted back to his cat-like ways? My real life people tried to understand, but explaining it to somebody who doesn't know what it is like is like rolling a boulder up a hill by yourself.

Boy, I would love to give my old doctor this crap and tell him to come off cold turkey! :twisted: :twisted:

Hang in there -

#9 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:53 AM

Jeff, Sarah J, you have talked about your dogs and I just cried last night when I read these two posts. For one because it looks like I still have a few more days of misery ahead of me (and my family) and for two, the dogs. I have two dauschunds and a 3 month old chihuahua. I know our loved ones try to understand. They are there for me, but last night, my boyfriend came home, and he is still exhausted and hurt from Friday and Saturday and it seems the more I try to explain, the more it all sounds confusing. I feel like I am becoming a nervous wreck and last night he held my arms down under his heavy arm, so I would not bite my nails while trying to sleep. This morning he has already called to make sure I am ok. He is there for me, but he has feelings too, and he has every right to be upset with the cruel words I can toss at him as easy as breathing. But the dogs. They dont need an explaination. They just know that you are hurting and are there for you. Right now, they are so wound up and playing hard, and Zoe is louder than the other two when they are playing but she keeps looking up at me, and will lower her voice for a few minutes, then get out of hand again.... :P But when I go lie down in my bed in a few minutes, they will follow me, surround me and sleep until I get up. If its 15 minutes or 4 hours, they wont move til I move.

It is very comforting, Sarah J, as you said. Even Jake, the puppy. He is so hyper but when I lie down, his little heart is racing because he has all this unused energy, but he knows its time to lie down with Mom.

#10 Mols

Mols

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:59 AM

I am happy to say I withdrew from Cymbalta very well! I think Cymbalta made me miserable, and I also had gained 20 lbs or so, I am happy to report that I have been doing well, lost 6 lbs so far, I am on Prozac 20 mg, and I have much more energy. I have even been eating less, thank God. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

#11 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:02 AM

Yeah!! for your Mols....I am very happy for you, please keep us updated on how you are doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users