• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 maccacat

maccacat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:08 AM

Hello. My husband started taking Cymbalta in December of 2007. I don't believe he needed it but now days all you have to do is tell the doctor you feel down and they prescribe these. He told me that he wanted to try it so he could handle some difficulties we were having. I was against it just for the fact that I had come off Lexapro and I knew how bad that can be. He had been on Lexapro earlier in the year but talked of suicide and was very mean, so he came off of that. Anyways, things started out great, but started going downhill in Feb. He started going to EMT school which was stressful and I attributed the irritability to that. But, he began acting really strange and having no emotions. He started not caring about anything he did and would tell me flat out to get over it, that he didn't care how I felt. This wasn't like him. He then started to tell me he just felt strange and often thought about taking his life and he even said he felt he needed to come off the meds. Well he started weening himself off and he completely quit about 2 weeks ago. It has been hell for me. He's snaps at me constantly, but then he later on in the day acts like everything is great between us. It's a rollercoaster ride for me.I really don't have to say anything but he will create an issue and then start getting angrier and angrier and almost fighting with himself. He tells me that he wakes up just wanting to kill me and others everyday. There have been times where I do get a little scared about that. He's having the brain zaps bad too. I sort of understand the withdrawls because I had them coming off Lexapro and Zoloft and I know how miserable it is, but I was never this irritable. Is this a typical reaction to coming off these and does it get better soon? This is starting to put a strain on our marriage because I'm getting sick of being treated so badly and having someone make me cry everyday. I'm trying to be understanding but he can be vicious.

#2 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:36 AM

First, talk of suicide should never be taken lightly. Involve your family members and let them know what you are going through. Of course, it is embarassing but you need to have support right now.

Part of the reason I went on Cymbalta was the guilt, stress and sadness of dealing with the suicide of my husbands best friend. He had talked in length to us both about killing himself, we thought we had him talked out of it and he was going to get help but went through with the act. I had talked to him for three hours the night before he killed himself. He had been mentioning taking his life for about three months before he did, he was an amazing person, the last one person you would have thought would have taken their own life. Once it is done, obviously there is no turning back. It is very serious, no matter how much the person says that they didn't mean it - it is a SCREAM for help.

The fact that he is mentioning killing himself and others is very serious. You should be frightened by this. It is abuse, whether it is the withdrawal of the drug talking or not. Do not take this lightly.

Have no idea where to tell you to turn, perhaps you should see a doc for guidance to help you deal (talk therapy - no drugs of course), involve your family members (one that your husband trusts and would listen to).

My heart goes out to you, I hope that you are able to find a resolution to this, but please, talk of suicide on a regular basis is not something you want to "wait out" because you may have no option to deal with it if the worst happens.

#3 maccacat

maccacat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:01 AM

Thank you for your response. I have discussed this with family and while my mom is obviously concerned for me nobody else seems to have much to say that is why I have been searching for support on the internet. I feel like the withdrawls have been harder on me then him. I do feel like I am being emotionally abused. If I talk to the doctor will they just put him on more meds? I mean what do they do when people have these reactions to antidepressants?

#4 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:07 PM

Different states have different regulations on what they do when somebody claims they wish to harm themself or others.

You might want to call and find out the procedure in your state when somebody does mention harming themselves. It would be good to know just for your own piece of mind how invasive or helpful "the system" would be if you need to have serious intervention.

Some people are misdiagnosed with depression, when really they are bipolar or something else entirely and need medications that are totally different from antidepressants.

People are very often misdiagnosed for years and given medication that actually makes their situation worse. Unfortunately, medicine is not an exact science, or else they would not have the term "practicing medicine".

This has to be a frightening time for you and hope that you are able to find a way to help your husband and family get through this quickly. Please be careful - suicide threats should never be taken lightly.

#5 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:59 PM

I agree completely with Sarah. There is a lot going on here. As I'm sure you've read in other posts, withdrawal from this drug is horrid, and your husband likely is scared, angry and many other emotions that he is having a hard time dealing with. He needs to have some type of medical intervention, for both of your sakes. In addition to what Sarah has suggested, regarding finding out what the laws are in your state, I would call his doctor, or seek help from even a suicide prevention line. I woud think that they would know what is applicable in your area, and be able to get you some help quickly.

Would your husband be willing to come on here and read some of the posts? It may help him to know that he isn't alone in his feelings and thoughts. He needs to understand that it is withdrawal from a powerful drug that is causing what he is feeling.

If you are fearful for your own safety, have someone come over and be with you until you can get some professional help. I don't think either one of us are intending to cause you to panic, but this is a serious situation, and one not to take lightly.

Please, try the suicide prevention line first, and see what they can offer. When you can, please post back to let us know how you are doing.

#6 maccacat

maccacat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:47 PM

Thank you to everyone for your concern. I find this forum very comforting. Well this morning he got irritated with me over nothing and even this afternoon had a moment, but this evening is doing very well. Of course I'm not holding my breath but I tried talking to him while he was in a good state and that went well for a change. He started taking a supplement called Gaba Plus and told me he feels a difference. He's also taking Omega 3 and barley. He only had one brain zap today and this evening he talked about how he wanted to get healthy and just get involved in our church again. I hope this is the start of him getting well, but I'm staying very cautious and am going to check into somethings tomorrow in case things change again. I'm seeing what things set him off and am going out of my way not to do those things or say the things that I know irritate him. I hate walking on egg shells but it keeps the peace and I'm just trying to get through this difficult time. I will keep you all posted and hopefully I can get some more info tomorrow. Thank you for your support!

#7 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:20 PM

That sounds encouraging, I found Omega 3 to help a lot. While I know it is hard for you to walk on egg shells, just know that it will pass, and start getting better, even if it is just a little bit each day. This drug has done horrid things to many of us, and it takes a lot of inner strength to do it, yet family support is HUGE.

I'll be thinking of you, and do keep us updated.

#8 maccacat

maccacat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:17 AM

Well today was a better morning. He was kind and actually did something's around the house to help me. Before bed last night we discussed his suicidal thoughts, and he told me that while he was thinking that way before he hasn't had those thoughts anymore.

It is amazing to me just what this drug has done to people. I know it helps some, but I seem to find more bad things written about it. My heart goes out to all of you going through this. I did go through some stuff coming off Lexapro and Zoloft so I do have some understanding of how miserable it can be.

Oh by the way, I just got word that my uncle, who has struggled with major depression his whole life was put on Cymbalta a few weeks ago. He had been calling my dad saying that it was not sitting right with him, and one night even left a message on the answering machine telling my dad how much he loved him and they said he sounded like he might do something. Thankfully he got off of the drug and is okay. So, now that is two people I know personally that have had this reaction and that just makes me mad! It's ashame the doctors are not more educated about this. The last dr. I saw while I was on Lexapro, I told him about the brain zaps I felt coming off of the meds and he almost laughed at me and said those don't exist! I told him to get on the internet and start doing some reading. I have since changed Dr's.

#9 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:32 AM

New and old stuff!

#10 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:04 AM

Still! Some need this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users