6 replies to this topic

#1 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:04 AM

"Melatonin is hormone produced from the pineal gland which is nested in the center of the brain. Melatonin production decreases as we age, from a 50% loss in production at age 45 to a slow trickle at age 80. This decline in Melatonin production is considered a major cause for insomnia."

This is from my bottle of Melatonin. Since Cymbalta messes with the pineal gland, it is no wonder many of us are having sleep issues.

I take 3 mg each night with my sleepytime extra tea, and am able to get around 5 hours of solid sleep, which is better than what I was getting without them.

#2 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:41 PM

I don't know if the Melatonin is getting me to REM or not, but when I don't take it, my sleep is not as deep.

That list is scary, and the chaos and night terror types of dreams are exactly what I was experiencing while taking Cymbalta. The depersonalization is another one that really hit me. I was so detached from my family and friends, (my daugher lives right next door) that I would go weeks without seeing anyone, and I didn't really care. It became ever worse when my dose was increased from 60mg to 90 mg. For some reason, when I hit 90, and things got worse, I had a lucid moment that said loudly, "this isn't normal, get off of this stuff!!".

It is also scary thinking that the pineal gland maybe isn't repairable. I can't imagine my sleeping being like this forever. I hate to even go to bed because it is always a miserable experience. At least having my dog next to me is somewhat soothing.

Unfortunately, I don't know that there is much we can do, even collectively, to try and prove that Cymbalta has done any damage, because Lily can always fall back on "well, these people were depressed to begin with". It is frightening. :lol:

#3 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:02 PM

You don't ride a huge snail do you? :lol: I have this image of Rex Harrison as Dr. Doolittle!

#4 pammysue

pammysue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:11 PM

I have started this too since my weaning.
My problem is that I sleep too much!!!!!
12 to 13 hours!!!!!
I need the Mel. to get asleep!!!!

#5 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:35 PM

I'm well past the 120 day mark, and I just re read this post, regarding the question about the pineal gland being damaged beyond repair. I STILL have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. Melatonin and Sleepytime Extra help some, but I just roll around all night. I know that as people age this also becomes an issue, but I am getting so frustrated with this! I would kill for a night where I would just fall into a nice deep sleep, and stay that way until morning. :roll:

#6 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:35 PM

I don't know, I just turned 48, and so there is that, plus melatonin decreases as we age, so I don't even know if I can blame it on Cymbalta, Effexor, Lexapro or anything else I've taken in the last years. I do know it is frustrating as hell though. I don't drink, so I can't even have a beer to see if that would help. I guess I need to start doing some more physical activity to see if that helps. My medical condition causes severe headaches, and certain exersizes makes it worse, so I may look into some water aerobics or something like that.

I hope you find some relief too GB.

Babby

#7 Angela of Green

Angela of Green

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:34 AM

Tried this Melatonin thing, but it actually had the opposite reaction in me... I was restless and couldn't quit fidgeting all night.. but a co worker of mine says it works wonderfully for him... It's inexpensive, pick up a bottle and give it a whirl :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users