• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 racefan

racefan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:31 PM

I have found this board out of despiration. I have been off of Cymbalta for about 2 weeks. I am so nauseated. Every day I am nauseated. I went to doc this week. She gave me 6 days' worth of Lexapro to help. How long will this misery last? I tried to search through posts, but I didn't find anything about upset stomach. I hate to take one med to fix side effects from getting off another one. I was on 90 mgs for a couple of yrs. I took 1 month to wean off. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

#2 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:13 PM

I have found this board out of despiration. I have been off of Cymbalta for about 2 weeks. I am so nauseated. Every day I am nauseated. I went to doc this week. She gave me 6 days' worth of Lexapro to help. How long will this misery last? I tried to search through posts, but I didn't find anything about upset stomach. I hate to take one med to fix side effects from getting off another one. I was on 90 mgs for a couple of yrs. I took 1 month to wean off. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Oh the upset stomach does happen to most of us who end up here. I was sick for about the first week and thought I did have the flu until I found this site. Hang in there, it sounds like your doc is trying to work with you by giving you the Lexapro.

I also found it terrible that I had to take another medication to get off of Cymbalta too, but it really helped me. I tried to make it cold turkey and when I found a new doctor, they gave me Celexa (which is the drug they reformulated to make Lexapro from). I weaned off of the Celexa for about 5 weeks and came off of that with none of the problems of Cymbalta (well a few withdrawal things, but nothing terrible like Cymbalta). I never would have ended up on a forum like this if Cymbalta withdrawal had been as easy as the Celexa. Try to relax right now. There are no magic number of days that anybody can tell you, because we all have different chemistry in our brain. Each one of us is different. We have some of the same symptoms and some very different.

I am antidepressant free now, intact and feeling good about life. You will get through this too. And it sounds like your doctor is willing to work with you, which is lucky, many of our doctors told us that what we are feeling isn't real, and it is. You can and will get through this. let us know how you are doing!

Sarah J - 117 days off of Cymbalta - 31 days off of Celexa
hope that this helps you to feel better about taking one to fix another. Best of luck to you.

#3 Mikie

Mikie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:08 AM

My nausea lasted about a week. Eating small meals was essential. Am curious, though. Several years ago I was diagnosed w/a hiatal hernia. I've been pain free using Nexium and a high-fiber diet. Since being off Cym for 1 1/2 weeks, though the I have very uncomfortable pain in from my waist to mid-chest. Is the Cymbalta kicking this up or should I go back to the gasteroenteroligist? I hate feeling like a hypochondriac, but during this weaning and withdrawal I've really felt ill.

I'm trying accupuncture on Tuesday for the pain that has recurred that put me on Cym in the first place. Wish I'd tried this first. I'm seeing a physician accupuncturist. I'll let you know the results.

#4 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:19 AM

My nausea lasted about a week. Eating small meals was essential. Am curious, though. Several years ago I was diagnosed w/a hiatal hernia. I've been pain free using Nexium and a high-fiber diet. Since being off Cym for 1 1/2 weeks, though the I have very uncomfortable pain in from my waist to mid-chest. Is the Cymbalta kicking this up or should I go back to the gasteroenteroligist? I'm trying accupuncture on Tuesday for the pain that has recurred that put me on Cym in the first place. Wish I'd tried this first. I'm seeing a physician accupuncturist. I'll let you know the results.

The good thing about the Cymbalta withdrawal was that I went to acupuncture, because I was willing to try anything to feel better. I went once a week for 5 weeks until I was drug free, now I am only going every 6 weeks. Slowly, it does help you change the way you feel and think about things. I found it very beneficial, best of luck to you with it.

Cymbalta numbs things, lots of things. So, without it, small aches and pains that you may have experienced before taking it will come back, and feel more intense because your brain chemistry was blocking that stuff off. I have a bad knee and a herniated disc that exercise helps and the first few weeks off of Cymbalta, they seemed really to be exaggerated pain wise. I took glucosamine sulfate with MSM to help with the joint pain and kept exercising even though I felt like pond scum. But after going through the worst of the worst of withdrawal, all that seemed magnified by 1000 has subsided.

Good luck and let us know how the acupuncture goes.

#5 justintime

justintime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:22 AM

Hi racefan - yes I too had nausea. I too went on another antidepressant to get off Cymbalta (10 days of Prozac). I'm on Day 31 now and the nausea's not a problem anymore. Other things are ;) . Hope you feel better real soon!

#6 racefan

racefan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:22 PM

Thank you so much, everyone! It is a huge help to know someone is out there who knows what it's like.
Yes, I have an excellent dr., a neuropsychiatrist. I will hang in there. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users