• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mishka

Mishka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been on Cymbalta for years and am finally weaning myself off of it. I like the idea of communicating with others about this drug and its effects.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

Hey all,

I have other topics and posts out there. I have been trying to get off of Cymbalta for over a year and a half now. I finally got down to 0mg- and started feeling some dizziness and zaps, etc after about 3-4 weeks. Also, I'd have a bad headache- one in my temples and behind my eyes. I had terrible indigestion and could barely eat for 2 or so weeks. Looking back, I think I may have even experienced a mild hypomania state- I was super extroverted and always seemed on the go. Of course, I have 2 jobs, so I AM always on the go.
I made it to 6-7 weeks off of Cymbalta. Then- I crashed. I had a panic attack at work (and I give presentations, quite embarassing...) Then I had more panic attacks. Finally, I asked my dad to take me to the hospital. I figured they could at least give me Ativan for the panic. Of course, I made it in the next week to see the psychiatrist. But since I was so anxious and agitated and out of it, I took some Cymbalta again before that. I didn't know what else to do (yes, it's an addiction). And, it made me sick.
Now, I'm at the 3-4 week mark again. I have talked to the docter, he put me back on a med-this time Zoloft, and a low, low dose of Xanex. It seems to be working well for me so far, but I'm really worried about going right back through those withdrawal symptoms. I've had brief headaches (not as intense), and some lightheadness/detached feelings- but those could be attributed to the panic disorder. I suppose time will tell, we'll see what happens next.

I have to note that although the withdrawal is absolutely horrible, and I hate Cymbalta, a lot of my relapse has to do with environment. The past year and a half or so has been a trying one- with small stuff like car accidents, to bigger stuff like losing my dog recently and moving back in with my historically abusive family. Everything added all together and, well, I crashed. I nearly lost my job, and I'm still worried I will not be able to perform well and have to leave it. I'm hoping the Zoloft will be good for me and help with any withdrawal I have, at the very least make it manageable as oppose to what it was the last time. My original pdoc said that at the 6 week mark the Cymbalta is looooong gone out of your system and I was experiencing anxiety and not withdrawal. There may be some truth to that, but I was on the Cymbalta for over 5 years. And hearing all these other stories makes me think that there isn't enough research out there to show the long-term effects of this drug. To show just how addictive it is, how tough it is on the body, and what the consequences are.

I also experienced Cymbalta making me sick- and I wonder if anyone else has ever had the same? I'm certain I'm not the only one. Originally, I had pretty basic side effects- dry mouth, constipation. After a couple years, I noticed that sometimes, and particularly if I took it on an empty stomach, I would start to feel cold and clammy/sweaty, shaky, my heart would race, my head would tingle, and I would even have dry heaves. It wasn't every time. This last time I took a pill, just 3-4 weeks ago, I felt the same- not as pronounced as on higher doses, but enough.
I happened upon "Serotonin Syndrome" or "Serotonin Shock" long ago that helped me decide it was time to begin tapering off. I urge anyone who has the same feeling that I did when taking it to speak immediately with your docter. I probably should have long before I did, but Serotonin Shock can be fatal. It's pretty creepy.

Well, that's all I have for now. Really just my rant, feels good to vent! <_<
~Mishka

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users