Photo

Haven't Even Taken It Yet And I'm Terrified.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RickWC

RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

Hi guys, I wasn't 100 percent sure where to post this on here, hopefully I haven't committed a massive breach of forum protocol. :/

Long story short, I've had mild anxiety and depression issues for at least 10 years now. I've always managed to ignore it until recently when I started a new job and the symptoms have become less mild.

The anxiety is stopping me from doing my job to the level I know I am capable of which is making me feel more depressed/hopeless which is affecting sleep which is then looping back into the anxiety. I am tired all the time.

As a male, I thought taking the initial step of seeking help was going to be the hardest part. Wrong. Had an appointment with my GP yesterday (who I really like and feel comfortable with) and discussed everything that had been going on. He really echoed what I had been thinking in that I seem to have a really good cognitive grasp and awareness of how my anxiety/depression loops are triggered but my problem is I always feel too tired/hopeless to do anything about it. Basically, I need the spark to allow me to start monitoring my own behavior better.

Thus, he gave me a prescription for Cymbalt. One 30mg capsule a day for 30 days, then up to 60mg. I felt pretty hopefully and positive about it all until I got home and started googling about the drug. Now I am terrified for three main reasons...

1. I am scared it will "zombify" me. I read a thread here about someone who felt it robbed them of 5 years of their life. I have already felt numb for the past 10 years, I hoped getting help would help me tofeel "normal" feelings again. Not make me numb.

2. Scared of the side effects. This isn't a huge concern as I realise it goes with the territory of anti-depressants.

3. TERRIFIED of dependence and/or withdrawal. As mentioned earlier my depression/anxiety only really spiked recently when I started a job. I was hoping that any drug related help I got would just be a short term measure to allow me to build some mental tools and confidence in my abilities again. Cymbalt does not sound to me like a drug that is designed for that. If I have to go through 3 weeks of withdrawal when I come off it, I will very likely end up back where I started, if not worse. Could even cost me the job I worked hard through college to get.

Basically, I am not going to take the drug. The cons seem to outweigh the pros. I am going to make another appointment with the GP today to discuss my concerns.

What I am wondering is if anyone here has any suggestion as to other drugs I could potentially mention to my GP as better options. I feel like my depression/anxiety is relatively mild. I can still drag myself out of bed in the morning. Is there a med that people think might be better for my anxiety/depression situation - relatively short term use with reduced chance of dependence/horrible withdrawal symptoms.

Sorry for the long rant, just a bit freaked out right now.

I was on Cymbalta for many years and finally got off it. It has been almost 2 months. Due to some unplanned happenings, I started to develop depression and anxiety after the Cymbalta withdrawals should have been over. My GP just keeps trying to prescribe more anti depressants to me. Finally the anxiety got so bad that he gave me Zoloft and I actually took it for 3 days. The side affects were horrible and the anxiety and depression got even worse.

To sum it up, I don't know if there is any drug out there can really help with these feelings. I know it seems easy to look for a chemical solution to our negative feelings. Hopefully you can come up with something other then drugs to deal with these events. I started looking into herbal remedies for anxiety today. There is a lot of information available online if you are interested.

#2 Vicenzo

Vicenzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

"Haven't Even Taken It Yet and I'm Terrified" - that totally sums up how I feel. And I'm even MORE bummed out now. I had been on fentanyl for nearly 10 years, prescribed - believe it or not - to stop the horrific migraines I'd suffered my entire adult life. To make a long story short, I came off the fentanyl this winter but needed to be hospitalized at the time, it was such a severe withdrawal. I'm stuck with very severe fatigue and muscle pain ALL the time, which has not gotten better. It's been 4 months. My GP prescribed Cymbalta to as you say, give a little spark and hopefully set something back in motion so I can get to my 'old self'. And I too realize there are adverse side effects associated with all these anti-depressants. But this one now REALLY scares me. I am not med-happy and would prefer not to be on anything at all, but I really feel that I'm doing pretty much all the 'right things' and have plateaued - is there ANY other med that is less scary and MIGHT help, for a short-term regimen? Wellbutrin? Something else? - thanks in advance

#3 Vicenzo

Vicenzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

"Haven't Even Taken It Yet and I'm Terrified" - that totally sums up how I feel. And I'm even MORE bummed out now. I had been on fentanyl for nearly 10 years, prescribed - believe it or not - to stop the horrific migraines I'd suffered my entire adult life. To make a long story short, I came off the fentanyl this winter but needed to be hospitalized at the time, it was such a severe withdrawal. I'm stuck with very severe fatigue and muscle pain ALL the time, which has not gotten better. It's been 4 months. My GP prescribed Cymbalta to as you say, give a little spark and hopefully set something back in motion so I can get to my 'old self'. And I too realize there are adverse side effects associated with all these anti-depressants. But this one now REALLY scares me. I am not med-happy and would prefer not to be on anything at all, but I really feel that I'm doing pretty much all the 'right things' and have plateaued - is there ANY other med that is less scary and MIGHT help, for a short-term regimen? Wellbutrin? Something else? - thanks in advance

P.S. I've been on Cymbalta 30 mg. bid since Monday evening 7/11 (i.e., about 8 days) - I was hoping to be one of those people who starts feeling better after 1 week, but nothing noticeable yet. But no wacky side effects, either, thankfully.

#4 heathermcfeather

heathermcfeather

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:00 AM

Don't take it. Trust me, If I knew before taking it what I know now, not just from this site, but from my own experience, I would've NEVER taken it. It seems like a dirty drug basically.

#5 Nevergivingup

Nevergivingup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:14 PM

Hi, Im no Doctor but I'm a member of AA & have been clean & sober for 18 years. I take pain medication because I've had major spine surgery & have a chronic pain condition, my intake is carefully monitored by my Dr because of my previous problems with addiction. Over the years I've struggled with depression & have had many different anti-depressants. I beg you!! Don't take this drug it is toxic. You will not gain anything positive from taking this drug. Please be careful & remember Dr's are not Gods. Try healthy ways to deal with depression & anxiety. Walking, swimming & good diet. Speak to your Dr again & ask for another kind of antidepressant. I've learnt so much over the years about drugs so much so that due to me thinking Dr's know everything, I nearly died. Ask your Dr how much time he has spent studying the particular drugs he prescribes for you. The drug companies pay the doctors to push certain drugs & seriously you are a guinnea pig. I hope you feel better soon & you have my best wishes. Never give up on your self. Where there is life there is always hope. M.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users