• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mikie

Mikie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:45 PM

I'm one month off and mentally and physically was feeling in top form until two days ago. At the worst possible time my back went into the same type of spasm that put my on the stinking drug in the first place. I have gotten very accustomed to NOT being a total social misfit due to not being able to function due to pain.

If this is what life is going to be like, I'm getting another prescription. Further complicating things is that my new doc who is anti-drug and pro accupuncture (yes, he's a board certified sports med doc who does accupuncture - odd combo, but I love it) is on vacation until week after next. Any suggestions? I have to take an 8-hour train ride to surprise my daughter for her birthday and babysit a 2 1/2 year old and a 3 mo old so she can go out for her b-day next weekend. I'm already stressing. :-(

When asked this weekend why I went off in the first place, my reasons sounded so lame - wanting to detox my body, hoping to lose weight, tired of retaining fluid so badly it just HAS to be effecting the high blood pressure I never had before. BUT compared to this pain, those things seem so minor now.

What made you quit?

#2 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:58 PM

I have a chronic neurological condition that causes severe headaches, neck, arm and shoulder pain, and this caused mild depression. I was initially on Lexapro, and my doctor thought it was making me "flat", so she placed me on Effexor. I did fine on it for a year, but began to have withdrawal while still taking it. My new doctor switched me to Cymbalta, to help with the Effexor withdrawal symptoms, and to hopefully alleviate the pain.

It stopped the brain zapping, but didn't touch the pain. After about 9 months at 60 mg, I began to get the zaps again, so we upped the dose to 90 mg. I felt awful. It was at that time that I took a good look at my life and how I was feeling. I was still having my "normal pain", but my depression had actually worsened. I toggled between not sleeping for a day or 2, to then sleeping for 16-20 hours per day. I rarely if ever left my house, at one point I realized I hadn't left it in almost 6 weeks. I became extremely obsessive with shopping, purchasing things on Ebay for the thrill of winning the auctions. I had no energy, and I realized that I had lost almost 2 years of my life between Effexor and Cymbalta. I was more depressed than I ever had been to begin with.

I'm well over 70 days off of it, and feel like a new person. Withdrawal was hell, pure and simple. It got easier over time, very slowly, and I used supplements and other nutritional things to help. It actually took going up to 90mg for me to realize all of this. I still can't believe how my life had tanked during that time, I just didn't notice it happening.

I would never recommend it as a primary source for pain management. There are far better things out there for that, even narcotics haven't messed with me as much as Cymbalta did.

You may want to consider taking a really good Omega 3 supplement, that helped me tremendously, and I'm still taking it. Also, it sounds like your doctor is willing to work with you, and it actually is refreshing that there is a doctor not throwing pills at you! If you have been off of it a month, and you were not taking it primarily for depression, I would think very hard about taking it again. It is also likely not to work the same for you the second time around.

Well, that's my story, and my 2 cents worth! Good luck to you, and welcome to the site!

Babby

#3 squarepeg27

squarepeg27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:34 PM

Hello all and, by the way, thanks for the kind words!

First off, Babby, how long did it take you to feel better, please? And can you tell me/us what supplements other than Omega 3's were helpful? I take an Omega 3.6.9. thing and wonder whether it's not as good as taking just an Omega 3. I'm so sorry you went through all that (and all you others out there, too). I'm especially amazed you were given one "BRAIN ZAPPER" to replace another. crazy!

By the way, I was especially interested to hear you became e-bay obsessed. I went through a crazy online shopping obsession, too, not too long ago -- when I was on 90 mg. I felt really out of control shopping-wise, and here I was taking the drug for OCD!

I am now my 6th day of being cymbalta-free -- just a baby at this compared to so many of you, which in itself makes it seem all the more daunting and upsetting. Any "upset" I'm feeling -- depression, anxiety, etc. can basically be chalked up to THIS -- the horrible feeling of getting off this stuff.

Once again, I chose to stay home so my entire Memorial Weekend was spent missing out on various fun things, and that's not like me. I didn't go on this for mood issues -- I started it for fibromyalgia and OCD. RE: the former, it didn't help. As for the latter, I must admit it did, but I now know that I can talk myself down from any freak-outs I may have so that's one reason I wanted to quit, preferring to take less medication in general when I can. BUT my OCD was germ and bug related and one of my "withdrawal" symptoms is seeing what often appears to be bugs moving either somewhere in the room where I am or on ME via my peripheral vision. Have others had this happen? It's really creepy. AND the zaps and dizziness continue, though now that I've eaten white rice for 3 days straight, and barely anything else, my stomach seems less upset (as opposed to having the Big D -- others had this, too?).

Another reason to quit was, indeed, the fact that I had gained 20 lbs in 4 months (though I had started the drug 8 months before) and it only seemed to be getting worse. I had some room to grow, but having DDD top (after having been reduced 7 years ago) and thighs that rub together just isn't my thing, and when a man who works for me said, "wow, you look hot with your new fat body" -- perhaps not in those words but the equivalent -- well, that was it (um, come to think of it, I'd just gone to zero, perhaps the day that comment was made, from 30 mg, but I think those words, on top of the quitting and ensuing "head trauma" -- zaps, dizziness, etc. -- made it very easy to stop eating anything that may help pack on the pounds such as wheat/gluten and sugar.) This is all to say a) that I am eating "well", other than the fact that my rice is white rather than brown because my belly can't handle the latter right now --AND I AM taking supplements that my belly can deal with and still the zaps come perhaps slightly less frequently at times but seem to be stronger when they do .. and :D that it seems I've lost over 10 pounds already -- 6 days! That can't be healthy but that's the silver lining I must admit.

I had gone on the internet and googled, "cymbalta weight gain" and couldn't believe how much I found. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything about withdrawal to, at least, be prepared for all this. Other than sugar, I've never been addicted to anything so I've never experienced anything like this before.

I wonder whether, now that I'm not eating sugar either, my experience could be a combo of sugar AND cymbalta withdrawal?

When I was fully on the stuff, I just couldn't say NO to foods I knew I really shouldn't eat. I just shoveled it in and went for more -- especially carbs and sweets. It was this that made me gain the weight ultimately but I blame the drug since my brain wouldn't listen when I told myself not to --I just did the opposite and especially wanted to eat late at night.

RE: weight gain, can anyone out there say how there's happened? Was it this kind or just eating the same but gaining anyway?

Knowing what my body's going through from going off it makes me realize how evil it is and I'd never try it again, no matter what. When I called my shrink to let him know what I was experiencing (he NEVER mentioned anything like it, fyi. He did say, "if you feel achy or fluish, call me" but no mention of dizziness/zaps, etc.), he said I could do the 15 mg. thing (dissolve a 30 in water and drink half the glass) but I'd already stopped for two days and didn't want to give any more to my bod. I was so naive -- actually thinking I was close to the end of this!

The stuff is so expensive and I had no coverage for it -- I was actually hoarding it, thinking I'd need it for a long time. EVERY doctor I went to, no matter what it was for, had it -- lots of it. Interesting... Quite a marketing push! I feel good about keeping it from others whereas before I felt guilty.

Tomorrow I have things I just have to do so I have no choice but to leave the house. I have to be thankful, I guess, that I don't have work right now, which is really nutty as I NEED it (I do interior design) but don't think I could handle it. But, the reason I mentioned leaving the house is...

DID ANYONE HAVE ANY TROUBLE DRIVING? Where I live, we basically have to drive and I'm a bit scared to do it right now.

So sorry this is so long and thanks for caring, anyone who does!

'peg

#4 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:54 AM

Peg, I had both auditory and visual hallicinations. I was hearing really loud slamming noises right when I would start to drift off to sleep, which scared the hell out of me, but I finally figured out that my dog wasn't bothered, so I knew it was "in my head", but it was still very disturbing and it put me on edge so much, that I became afraid to try to sleep. I began drinking sleeptime tea with valerian, and it seemed to make me tired enough to get past that.

The shopping thing was very strange. I like a good bargain like anyone else, but this became hugely obsessive. My garage is STILL full of empty boxes and bubble wrap, and my house looks like something that could be "cleared out" on TV! I've always been a bit obsessive when it comes to collecting things, but this really became a huge issue, and I spent money I didn't have. Since I've been off of Cymbalta, I have only bought 2 books on Ebay, and they were related to eating healthier.

I began having pain that I hadn't experienced before Cymbalta, and Mendozen, another member here, mentioned that her Mom had been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, but found that it was a vitamin D deficiency. I had my levels checked, and I too was deficient, so I now take 50,000 IU 3 times a week. The other supplement, the Omega 3, is made by Nordic Naturals, and it is expensive. There are some supplements that you can by at discount places that are fine, but what I researched and found about Omega 3, is that there is a real difference in how it is processed, and the quality varies greatly. Nordic Naturals is a good one, and I found it at drugstore.com although most health food stores carry it too. I also try to eat foods that are high in nutrients.

I was very lucky in that I didn't suffer the nausea and vomiting that many people here did. My biggest issues were the huge fluctuations in my moods, and the extreme feelings. Anger was RAGE, laughter was almost HYSTERIA, sad was DESPAIR. That was very scary, but Cymbalta basically had shut off my emotions for so long, that I realized that it was going to take time for things to level out. I think the Omega 3 really helps with that. I would check out some of the posts in the Nutrional Support section for more detail.

I still have the brain zaps, in the morning, but they only last about 3 minutes and then pass, and they are not as extreme as they were. I can say I am mostly out of the woods, but I still have those moments.

You will also likely have really good days, to be followed by a slap down day, but the good days do begin to outnumber the bad ones. I also have to realize that I am almost 48, and some of the emotional stuff goes along with hormonal changes too. I guess the thing is, as humans, we aren't going to feel wonderful every day. We have aches and pains, life stinks sometimes, and life is great at others. I knew I was mostly okay when I began having normal reactions. Nothing is extreme anymore, and I feel so much more settled.

I did drive while withdrawing, but it took a LOT of focus on my part, and I really had to watch that I didn't kick into road rage mode. You need to be sure to be safe above all else. If you are dizzy and feeling those zaps frequently, don't push yourself. Stay home and allow yourself to get better. If you were recovering from a serious illness you would allow yourself healing time, right? This is no different, you just aren't wearing bandages for others to see.

Just remember that you are coming off of a very powerful drug that alters critical systems in your body. When you feel crazed or out of control, do what you can to relax, listen to soft music, get outside and breath, and remember that your body and mind are healing. Also, come here as often as you need to, these people are a wonderful support system.

You can do this, WE can help!

Babby

#5 Ichipete2

Ichipete2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:10 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to this site and just cant' stop reading all the informative e-mails. My one question is. "Why is anyone gaining weight on Cymbalta?" It's one of the few anti-depressants that actually kills your appetite and during trials, most test subjects lost weight. Cymbalta is definately not one of the weightgainers. Id' like to know who has lost weight. I'm taking it now, started about 10days ago and believe me, if I gain weight, I ain't gonna take it no more!
By the way, Effexor is similar to Cymbalta, but Cymbalta's effects last longer. Often, people such as myself who are taking Effexor, are then switched to Cymbalta so that they only have to take a pill once a day. Whereas with Effexor, it's effects are of shorter duration and it needs to be taken two to three times a day. Anyway, because I have such stubborn long term depression, I am actually taking a low dose of Cymbalta and Effexor. I had actually tried taking Cymbalta a couple of weeks before the time I have started now. I was getting too much Seratonin and had to stop taking Cym. HOwever, because of the Effexor, my withdrawal was not bad at all as far as I could tell. Seratonin syndrome was bad. No sleep, but sleepy, tremor, sweating, felt like moving all the time. Sounds similar to everyone's withdrawals.
Thanks.............Let me know about weight gain or loss. :P
Carolyn

#6 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:38 PM

Carolyn-I went from a size 8/9 to a 14/16 in about a year. And I KNOW it was due to the cymbalta. Have had 2 doctors tell me it can cause weight gain. Clinical trials do not mean diddly squat as all of us on this board have found out. This drug causes alot of things that Eli-Lilly either didn't know about or does not want to admit to......

#7 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:40 PM

Carolyn,
As far as the weight thing, the only thing I can think of is the fact that when I first started coming off of Cymbalta, I slept sometimes 6 hours a day, along with my 8 or more hours of sleep at night. Sometimes I would not sleep at all, but I would sit and sit and sit. I would eat a 'comforting food'.....not healthy, then sleep or lay down or sit. We can blame the Cymbalta, but it may be due to how some of us handled the situation. I gained probably 10-15 lbs. But I tell ya'......I do not mind one bit. I am so glad to be past the Cymbalta, and I know that when I have the time to exercise daily, and stay home long enough to drink water, then I will be fine. Someone also posted about it messing with our metabolism, too, but if we eat right, exercise, take the proper supplements/vitamins, then we should be able to loose what we gained.

#8 ladybugz

ladybugz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Locationwashington
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta has turned against me. I am looking for help and support during the lengthy withdrawal process.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

My reason for quitting is that my body seems to have become ultra sensitive to Cymbalta (or antidepressants? not sure yet). I was told to double my dose by a very incompetent dr. that should have recognized the signs of dehydration and malnurishment....and not jumped to the conclusion that drugs were going to solve the problem in a jiffy. The jump made things 100x worse. I've not had my period in the months since the manic surge I experienced (it's going on 6 now). Boy do I miss it! It seems comical that I should miss the "little nuisance," but I doooooo.

Of course, I was never obligated to take that higher dose. A lesson learned the hard way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users