• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Magill

Magill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:15 AM

I began gaining a LOT of weight in a very short period of time while weening off Cymbalta!! I've been completely off of it now for a week and I feel like a balloon!! Pants I could get into a month ago I can't even get zipped...much less pulled together!! It's AWFUL!!! That's a depressing issue on top of everything else!!

#2 wandap

wandap

Busy Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:55 PM

My brain is zapping so bad I couldn't tell you if I've gained or lost! I've been off 1 week and I thought it would start getting better but I saw somebody post that they had been off for a month and the brain zaps were ALMOST gone.

#3 fishersofmen

fishersofmen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:58 PM

I have gain 15-20 pounds since I have been on this medication in less than a year's time. Have anyone experience this? Also for you men out there; have any of you experienced weird stuff with the male organ? I am having leakage and weird ejaculations without having an erection. My doctor never heard of this problem.. There are times I am mentally confused and can't remember names or places. My mind seems to go to sleep on me. I am not sure I want to continue taking this drug but fear even more to quit due to withdrawals.

#4 cjrogers

cjrogers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:39 PM

When I started this drug, I was on the heavy side, but not terribly obese. Now I am obese. I've gained over 80 lbs on this drug... my **** doctors tell me that it is because I have eaten too much... I remind them that I always ate too much and I doubt my metabolism "independently" changed at the same time I took cymbalta.

Honestly, if it weren't for the weight issue, I would stay on this drug til I die, just because of the HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE w/drawal. I want to lose 100 Lbs (and btw, I'll still be fat) and get pregnant and I figured when I'm pregnant is not a good time to get off of this drug....

I'm down to 20mg from 60 and this has been very, very difficult. I feel insane, electric zaps, weird walking, headaches, lethargy, you name it.

And I'm very, very fat.....

#5 carmenc1975

carmenc1975

Busy Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:50 AM

Did I gain weight ....... over a two year span about 100 pounds ....... went from a size 14 to a size 22/24. Isnt that nice for someone's depression. Luckily I gained a lot of weight before and know I can get it off. I lost 60 of the 70 lbs I gained after my pregnancy. (Pre Cymbalta) Last year is when I really got fed up with this medication, we went to ride go carts at nascar speed park and I felt like my fat ass could hardly fit in one. I felt like I was going to break the thing and Im surprised the motor was even strong enough to pull me around the track. I made a promise to myself that in 2008 I was going to give myself some attention and time to improve myself. I smoked for 20 years and quit in Dec 2007 and stopped Cymbalta in Jan it has been much easier to quit smoking than to come off the cymbalta. Now though I got two off my list now I got the third to go I need to lose the weight.................

#6 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:39 AM

Since I began tapering, I do seem to snack a lot. It's not that I feel hungry, I just want to eat! :shock: :lol:

#7 kitten924

kitten924

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:56 AM

I have noticed that I feel painfully hungry since I took my last dose. No matter what I eat the craving doesn't go away. But this is offset by the fact that my stomach hurts (like I swallowed razors or something). And if I do eat more than a small serving (like a bowl of cereal) I vomit.

Teh suck!

#8 kitten924

kitten924

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:04 PM

http://www.dirkhanso...oaddiction.html

Interesting, so, basically our serotonin withdrawal is causing carbohydrate-craving in an attempt to restore the high levels of serotonin available for the postsynaptic receptors.

#9 lahdeedah22

lahdeedah22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

I've read some of the comments on this site about the lovely drug we are all trying to go off. I just wanted to share some ideas about trying to lose weight. There have been a dozen or more people that I know who have tried this new "way of life", not really a diet. It's eating 5 small meals and snacks a day and one regular meal of 'lean and green' foods. These people have lost TONS of weight and are going off of different medicines and lowering cholesterol by a long shot. This plan is a really healthy plan and doesn't withhold any of the food groups, except simple sugars and simple carbs and all that processed garbage. We really shouldn't not eat a certain food group. We need those certain macronutrients to keep our bodies healthy. All carbs are not created equal, so don't skip eating pasta and whole wheat breads and things, just skip the simple sugars and carbs.
I have been reading an awesome book that talks about making a meal plan yourself as opposed to spending up to $300.00 a month on a total meal plan that provides the food all month. This book is called 'The Eat-Clean Diet' by Tosca Reno, B.Sc.,B.Ed.
It's a really simple and fun book to read (I don't like reading boring, educational books, but this one is actually fun and it got me pumped to start eating healthier.) If you need more info, let me know and maybe I can help. I'm not an expert and have not had the complete personnal experience of doing this meal plan yet, but loads of my friends and acquaintances have and are doing it. It's awesome to see them lose that extra weight. PS. This is kind of exciting news about this way of eating--It's typical to lose 5 pounds a week as you first begin this. Men lose more than women in a week, but that's just how it is. It is a healthy way of losing weight, not dangerous.

I'm just excited to pass along this new information that I have discovered. It's been around a long time, but it's just catching on around my area. I hope this can give hope to some of you who are now depressed about gaining weight on top of already being depressed.
As for myself, I have lost weight on Cymbalta, but now that I'm going off of it I seem to been gaining. I am also craving carbs and junk, like all those chocolate hearts my husband gave me for Valentines day. :(
Well, that's the end of my novel for now. Hope you have a better day and stay positive. :lol:

#10 dancercm1

dancercm1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:34 PM

[I was on Cymbalta for 3 months and gained 10 pounds..quote="Magill"]I began gaining a LOT of weight in a very short period of time while weening off Cymbalta!! I've been completely off of it now for a week and I feel like a balloon!! Pants I could get into a month ago I can't even get zipped...much less pulled together!! It's AWFUL!!! That's a depressing issue on top of everything else!![/quote]

#11 coco12

coco12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:46 PM

I hear yah!! I have gained weight since I have stopped Cymbalta. It is almost like quitting smoking. I could eat anything in sight. Hope this side effect does'nt hang around.

#12 mslilrose

mslilrose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:13 PM

Fisherofmen, I am a female, but I want you to know that I may be experiencing something similar to your sensitivity of your male organ except, ofcourse, to my female organ. I wondered if this subject was either too embarrassing to post a comment about or I was the only one experiencing this. I am a widow and don't have a partner right now. I went off cymbalta to gain my libido back. Since being off cymbalta for 6 days, when I wipe after urinating, my vagina is ultra sensitive, like it was after I had an orgasm. As for weight, I gained 35 pounds in the last 18 months of taking cymbalta, Six days after stopping, I have lost five pounds effortlessly.

#13 Ms_M

Ms_M

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am currently going through withdrawals.

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

OMG! I have been having this sensitivity, but didn't related it. It makes sense, though, the rest of my skin is sensitive - why not that, too?

#14 Ms_M

Ms_M

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am currently going through withdrawals.

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:37 AM

Don't worry about sounding angry - that's what we're here for! I have been off Cymbalta for just over a month. It wasn't until about 2 weeks or so ago that I really started having anger issues. I talked with my therapist yesterday and it seems plausible that the Cymbalta "numbs" feelings to a certain degree and that could explain the anger. Unfortunately, there is no cure all for this, either. I think venting here is a good help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users