• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bschenen

bschenen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

Have been on Cymbalta for over two years now and at one time up to 90 mg to try to address chronic pain of fibromyalgia. It stopped working and the side effects are lousy, so I am in the process of weaning... have been on 20 mg now for about two weeks and thought I could stop. WRONG! Skipped yesterday's dose and felt bad.. dizziness, severe hip pain, nausea, diarrhea. By this morning took the 20 and have decided to rethink this every other day maneuver. I know alot of folks are counting beads and making their own capsules... Would love some advice re: the mechanics of doing this. Thanks!

#2 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

This answer may be a little late for you, but I'll give it for others. I do not recommend skipping days. We need our neurotransmitters every day. The hope is that in the gradual weaning, the brain rewires itself gradually to make things right again. You have to give the body time, but I believe the body has a lot of "wired in" wisdom and knows what to do.

Here's the quickest method I have developed to count beads.

Every morning at the time I would take my pill, I get out a small plate, such as goes under a teacup, and a small bowl, such as a salad serving is served in.

I open the capsule and pour some of the beads on the plate. Don't pour a lot until you get good at this. Move some over to the edge of the plate with your finger. Count them with your eyes in twos, as in "two-four-six-eight-ten-twelve....etc."When you have counted all the ones on the edge of the plate, push them into the bowl. Now count the rest of the beads on the plate, say this brings you to "49". Push those into the bowl also. Pour some more on the plate and continue. If you pour more beads than you need it is a bit difficult to get them back into the capsule, but the best way is to pour the excess beads in the palm of your hand and scoop them up with the full half of the capsule "vacuuming" them out of your palm. Then put the other capsule side on and you're done. I am at the point of removing 200 beads from a capsule containing 300 and this process goes smoothly each morning. If it annoys me, I just remember what a wonderful thing I am doing, getting myself off this poison! I am throwing the unwanted beads in the trash, rather than down the drain. The fish in the sea don't need the extra Cymbalta; it seems they are already on Prozac! I figure the worms can enjoy my unwanted Cymbalta!

#3 bschenen

bschenen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:32 AM

This answer may be a little late for you, but I'll give it for others. I do not recommend skipping days. We need our neurotransmitters every day. The hope is that in the gradual weaning, the brain rewires itself gradually to make things right again. You have to give the body time, but I believe the body has a lot of "wired in" wisdom and knows what to do.

Here's the quickest method I have developed to count beads.

Every morning at the time I would take my pill, I get out a small plate, such as goes under a teacup, and a small bowl, such as a salad serving is served in.

I open the capsule and pour some of the beads on the plate. Don't pour a lot until you get good at this. Move some over to the edge of the plate with your finger. Count them with your eyes in twos, as in "two-four-six-eight-ten-twelve....etc."When you have counted all the ones on the edge of the plate, push them into the bowl. Now count the rest of the beads on the plate, say this brings you to "49". Push those into the bowl also. Pour some more on the plate and continue. If you pour more beads than you need it is a bit difficult to get them back into the capsule, but the best way is to pour the excess beads in the palm of your hand and scoop them up with the full half of the capsule "vacuuming" them out of your palm. Then put the other capsule side on and you're done. I am at the point of removing 200 beads from a capsule containing 300 and this process goes smoothly each morning. If it annoys me, I just remember what a wonderful thing I am doing, getting myself off this poison! I am throwing the unwanted beads in the trash, rather than down the drain. The fish in the sea don't need the extra Cymbalta; it seems they are already on Prozac! I figure the worms can enjoy my unwanted Cymbalta!

Thanks for writing back! I've been scanning entries and emptied some caps myself to see what it was like. I have 20 mg caps to work with. I gather people recommend only dumping about 10% every 2 weeks to minimize withdrawal...i gather you toss the excess? I had bought some gel caps to use as someone else had suggested that...but if you don't save the discarded beads i guess it's pointless. Fortunately I have been doung regular beading and jewlery making, so some of those tools came in handy - those things are tiny! It sounds like you have been doing this for a long long time! At what rate have you been tapering? And over what period of time? I guess patience is the key.
I also gather some folks have managed to bypass months of counting beads by using Prozac as part of the taper which I also have the option of doing. I just am not clear on exactly how much they take for how long and if they are taking them together. It looks like a really daunting prospect...maybe the kindest thing to the body is the long slow weaning? I haven't decided yet...i'm just grateful to have my feet under me again for the past week or so, before I make any changes!
Thanks again for your help.

#4 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:44 AM

I am using the method of reducing by 1mg/day. I started on 90 mg. I am now down to 70 mg. I decided to stay at 70 mg for a week because I am experiencing fatigue and mild depression. But I have had none of the severe withdrawal symptoms people talk about and I think it is because I am going slow. Your method is different than mine. If you want to not have the terrible withdrawal symptoms such as brain zaps, slow tapering is the key. So I originally gave myself 90 days to get off 90 mg, but I may go even slower to fight fatigue and depression.

Yes, Prozac is an option. I will only use that if I'm desperate as I'm sick of all meds and just want off all of them. For me, I am happy to take this as slow as it needs to go. The tapering by 1 mg per day is working well for me. How you determine how many beads = 1mg is to count all the beads in a 20 or 30 mg pill and then do the math. Be sure to count the beads in YOUR pill as pills are different. I found 300 beads in a 30 mg pill. So right now I am taking out 200 beads before swallowing the pill.

You definitely have to get yourself psyched to do this. It take determination and consistency. Good luck!

#5 bschenen

bschenen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:02 AM

I am using the method of reducing by 1mg/day. I started on 90 mg. I am now down to 70 mg. I decided to stay at 70 mg for a week because I am experiencing fatigue and mild depression. But I have had none of the severe withdrawal symptoms people talk about and I think it is because I am going slow. Your method is different than mine. If you want to not have the terrible withdrawal symptoms such as brain zaps, slow tapering is the key. So I originally gave myself 90 days to get off 90 mg, but I may go even slower to fight fatigue and depression.

Yes, Prozac is an option. I will only use that if I'm desperate as I'm sick of all meds and just want off all of them. For me, I am happy to take this as slow as it needs to go. The tapering by 1 mg per day is working well for me. How you determine how many beads = 1mg is to count all the beads in a 20 or 30 mg pill and then do the math. Be sure to count the beads in YOUR pill as pills are different. I found 300 beads in a 30 mg pill. So right now I am taking out 200 beads before swallowing the pill.

You definitely have to get yourself psyched to do this. It take determination and consistency. Good luck!

I totally agree about the getting psyched part! I need to feel good for a little while before I undertake a drop. I get that about counting one's own beads... I had 30's with 300 beads and 20's with 180. So I'm going to use the 20's. From 120 down to 30 in 10 mg steps was bearable... I would feel crummy for a few days but would be able to go down by 10 every few weeks. From 30 to 20 was rougher...compounded by skipping a day about ten days in...from what I've read here, dropping by a third was probably too dramatic...and then skipping a day thinking I could do every other day was nuts - which I didn't realize until I found this site. My doctor didn't ralize that... Though to be fair, some people seem to be able to tolerate that. Going down 1 mg/day sounds fast...but like you said you can slow it down if you need to. Maybe I'll try your method for a bit...maybe long plateaus aren't necessary... I'd love to get free of this with as little misery as possible along the way.

#6 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

Yes, yesterday I was tired and a bit depressed, but I took it easy and today I feel fine. I have a board meeting next week in which I have to take all day minutes, so I better not taper this week....I want my wits about me for that meeting, but the day after the meeting I am going back to tapering 1 mg/day.

Going down 1 mg per day isn't that fast as you only (in my case) withdraw 10 beads per day. I started on 900 beads (90 mg). What I have found going 1 mg/day is I feel absolutely fine for about 7 days and then on the 7th day I get tired. I then rest and feel back to normal after a day.

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress and your symptoms!

#7 bschenen

bschenen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:23 PM

Yes, yesterday I was tired and a bit depressed, but I took it easy and today I feel fine. I have a board meeting next week in which I have to take all day minutes, so I better not taper this week....I want my wits about me for that meeting, but the day after the meeting I am going back to tapering 1 mg/day.

Going down 1 mg per day isn't that fast as you only (in my case) withdraw 10 beads per day. I started on 900 beads (90 mg). What I have found going 1 mg/day is I feel absolutely fine for about 7 days and then on the 7th day I get tired. I then rest and feel back to normal after a day.

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress and your symptoms!

Thanks for all your good advice... I found with the big drops between 120 and 30 that about a week or so after I would have several sloggy days... foggy, tired, no zip.. headaches..
I may try your protocol.. I hate the idea of spending months counting beads!

#8 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:22 PM

To me, counting the beads each morning is a wonderful experience! It makes me happy. I am cleverly weaning myself away from this evil drug! Really, I am thrilled each morning as I count the beads and watch my dosage go down! I guess it gives me a feeling of control and of outwitting the drug companies who provide no easy way to discontinue the meds.

#9 bschenen

bschenen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:03 PM

Well said! It is a really difficult and unpleasant experience! I like your attitude! Keep me posted on your progress!

#10 valleygirl

valleygirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:34 AM

Here's a method that is working for me really good so far. I have been on 60mg Cymbalta for about 4 yrs.. My tapering method will take about 6 weeks. I have about 8 more days and I will be finished so far no side effects as a matter of fact the fog has cleared from my head and my energy level has increased quite a lot. Day 1 and 2..Remove 1 bead...Day 3 and 4..Remove 2 beads...
Day 5 and 6...Remove 3 beads and so forth. there are 190 beads in a 60mg capsule give or take a few. You might think this would take forever but it adds up over the days and yet you're only removing 1 bead every 2 days a very slow taper. So far so good I will report back in the next few days to let you know how this is going, I think taking too many beads out at a time is the problem because you're removing more medicine than your body can handle at one time this way it gives your body 2days to adapt to just 1 additional bead.

#11 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:50 AM

I am down to 38 mg after 52 days! Like Valleygirl said, my head is clearer and I have WAY more energy. I'm feeling great! The first 30 days I was awful tired from weaning....now I'm not tired at all.

#12 bschenen

bschenen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

I am down to 38 mg after 52 days! Like Valleygirl said, my head is clearer and I have WAY more energy. I'm feeling great! The first 30 days I was awful tired from weaning....now I'm not tired at all.

That's GREAT! I was dropping 20 beads at a time from a 20 mg. cap.... thinking 10 mg of prozac would cover everything... am slowing up now to dumping an extra five beads every day... that may be too fast too. but I agree... even with prozac supposedly covering, it needs to be gradual... have had days when I could only sleep!

#13 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

Hi bschenen

Thanks for your support. I'm still dropping 3 beads/day. Only 25 days to go! Keep at it, and get your sleep. The body needs rest to re-wire your brain to live without Cymbalta.

#14 Maggie

Maggie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:00 PM

Here's a method that is working for me really good so far. I have been on 60mg Cymbalta for about 4 yrs.. My tapering method will take about 6 weeks. I have about 8 more days and I will be finished so far no side effects as a matter of fact the fog has cleared from my head and my energy level has increased quite a lot. Day 1 and 2..Remove 1 bead...Day 3 and 4..Remove 2 beads...
Day 5 and 6...Remove 3 beads and so forth. there are 190 beads in a 60mg capsule give or take a few. You might think this would take forever but it adds up over the days and yet you're only removing 1 bead every 2 days a very slow taper. So far so good I will report back in the next few days to let you know how this is going, I think taking too many beads out at a time is the problem because you're removing more medicine than your body can handle at one time this way it gives your body 2days to adapt to just 1 additional bead.

Thank you so much for your post. When I get through this bout of trying to stop Cymbalta I will be trying your method its really sounds like the most sensible way to do it.

I am new to this site and to withdrawals from Cymbalta. I was taking it for depression and Fibromyalgia and I wanted off of it(.The Fibro over time got worse while on this medication).

I went with dr's instructions (Neurologist) and cut back from 60mg to 30mg for a week -then 30mg every other day for a week-then stopped. I am a mess as I write this. Don't ever do this or go cold turkey. This medication is horrible.

Just back from dr's and he dismissed me as depressed and instructed me to see my general dr or a someone who could prescribe according to my symptoms. Great January is the 1st available appt.

I have never felt this sick. I have some 60mg left and am going to start counting beads and get to a place of some stability.

Nausea, brain fog, crying, can't sleep, brain zaps. no concentration, impaired vision, hot and cold flashes, sensitivity to all senses especially smells, ears plugged.

Friends are helping me think through what to do until I can get to dr. A good suggestion from one who has been here is to go back to 30mg every other day and get stable then try counting beads.

I hope and pray that this helps anyone who is in this situation. It's a nightmare.

#15 momoftttkd

momoftttkd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

hello, i am new to this sight but am very glad i saw your post. i plan on comming off cymbalta as soon as i see my dr. on 11/4. i have been on it about 2 years. my major problem with it is dry mouth. can't take it any more. but the w/d symptoms scare me to death. how can i work and go through what some of the people are describing? i am terrified. but the way you are doing it sounds more promising than anything i have read on here so far. i just hope that once i get started i can manage half as well as the folks on this sight and you. i hope you are feeling well and are finished with your tapering off of cymbalta. i will never take anything like this again!!!

#16 bschenen

bschenen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:38 AM

There is HOPE! I have finally been Cymbalta free one entire week. But it was very very slow and laborious which meant I didn't need to suffer too much! I don't know how anyone can go every other day... when I was on 20 mg and skipped one day I had horrible symptoms..excruciating hip pain, visual distortions, headache,dizziness, nausea, extreme fatigue. I cannot see that as a successful way to get off this wretched drug... at least for someone like me who is very drug sensitive. And given the half life of the drug, it seems like you would be going into withdrawal every other day which is awful.
What I did: I was able to get a Rx for Prozac 10mg which I added to the 20mg of Cymbalta for about a week before I tried to reduce the Cymbalta. This really covered me almost totally for any withdrawal symptoms... plus inching down really slowly on the Cymbalta. At first I was dumping beads out of the capsules going down 5 beads every couple of days... dumping 5 for 2 days, then 10 for two days and so on... but I had a couple of really unpleasant days so I decided to count the remaining beads instead of the ones I was dumping. Turns out my 20 mg. capsules had anywhere between 187-200 beads. It may not sound like a lot... but if you're dumping such tiny amounts, going up and down doesn't feel good. So I just began counting the remaining beads and actually was able to decrease by 5 beads a day. Until one day there wasn't any more! I am still on the 10mg Prozac but I have been able to go to every other day on that and soon will try every three days... because it has such a long half life, it self tapers so it is very gentle that way. I too have fibromyalgia and as I've come off the Cymbalta (which I took for over 2 years and was up to 90 mg) I am feeling better and better. I feel like I had been zombified... was just like an automaton for some time.. withdrawn, much more pain. It seems like the Cymbalta which initially had helped the pain, quickly fizzled and so I had to keep raising it until it became a problem in itself. And maybe it caused some of the pain? I don't know. For those of you who are counting beads, though, I really recommend you count what's LEFT in your capsule, rather than how many you are dumping due to the unreliable numbers of beads in them.
I have some crafts tools that helped bead counting: like a magnifying headpiece to wear and some bead scoops. I would try to do 3-5 days of capsules at a time and keep them in a monthly pill holder so I wouldn't lose track of the days....
I wish you great good luck! It is possible to segue off this drug... and maybe faster than I did it without all the suffering. The Prozac makes a huge difference. And as for the fibromyalgia... been attending a unique pain management course www.turninginward.com and with a combination of meditation and gentle movement really finding a diminishing of pain and improved function. Plus seeing a massage therapist for craniosacral work and myofascial release. I think maybe Western medicine doesn't really have an effective way to deal with chronic pain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users