• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trixie7

trixie7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:10 AM

I have been on 60mg for about 3 months, then my MD upped it to 120mg...after about two weeks I started having severe GI distress to the point I was sent to the ER for IV fluids. MD never suggested it was the cymbalta...had the most severe diarrhea for four weeks and lost about 20 pounds the hard way. Found this forum and figured out what was going on so I am now taking 60mg a day instead but have been feeling strange and not able to sleep...that is why I am up at 3a.m. writing this...I itch, my hands shake and my mind goes blank...not quite sure what to do...any advice?

#2 Crissa

Crissa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

I have been on 60mg for about 3 months, then my MD upped it to 120mg...after about two weeks I started having severe GI distress to the point I was sent to the ER for IV fluids. MD never suggested it was the cymbalta...had the most severe diarrhea for four weeks and lost about 20 pounds the hard way. Found this forum and figured out what was going on so I am now taking 60mg a day instead but have been feeling strange and not able to sleep...that is why I am up at 3a.m. writing this...I itch, my hands shake and my mind goes blank...not quite sure what to do...any advice?

That's strange: Cymbalta isn't studied to have been effective above 60mg/day, and they only studied it up to 120mg/day in humans. Could it have been a mistake? Certainly you need to ask your doctor why they would do something so off-label.

If you're suffering itching in your hands, feet, torso; or redness and/or welts in these areas, those are symptoms of allergic reaction to medication at a systemic level. Without treatment, this can be dangerous. Please seek Urgent care today.

-Crissa

#3 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:47 AM

Many people take 120 mg Cymbalta. I did, for a long time. That is a Lot of Cymbalta though.

Itching is an uncommon but known discontinuation symptom of going off Cymbalta too quickly (I had it). Did you make that change from 120 to 60 quickly? That could disturb your sleep also. Depends on how long you were on 120 and how quickly you jumped to 60. Maybe at this point, best to just tough it out rather than go up to 90? Or maybe you would feel more comfortable on 90 for awhile?

Certainly you should be talking to an M.D. about this. Maybe not the one who put you on 120....depends of whether you trust that person. I would say, work with a medical professional you trust to get to the right dose.

#4 scarbro222

scarbro222

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • why_joining:
    going off cymbalta

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

i took 120 for 4 years for migraines...never had itching.

#5 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:29 AM

Scarbro....the itching comes with withdrawal, not being on the med. And only some people get it, not all.

#6 dunzo75

dunzo75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:27 PM

Scarbro....the itching comes with withdrawal, not being on the med. And only some people get it, not all.

Oh! I had the itching thing, too when I went off Cymbalta. Thought it was reaction to the sun! It's so odd, I haven't taken Cymbalta for 5 weeks and I'm still itching in the same spot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users