• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 coastal

coastal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

Hi There. I took Cymbalta for about 5 years. No higher than 30 mg/daily. Took for anxiety related to cumulative PTSD. In the past (after retirement), took Zoloft and Paxil. Had withdrawal symptoms from Paxil for about a month, but nothing compared to Cymbalta. I try to maintain a low stress life style.

With the side effects from Cymbalta (nausea, nightmares, tiredness) and the desire not to take medicine on a forever basis, I decided to stop taking Cymbalta with my doctors advice on stepping down from 30 mg daily. I went to 20 mg daily for several months, then 10 for awhile. Then went to the every other day process for a few weeks and so forth. No problem with anxiety even at 10 mg. etc. When I took the final plunge to take my last pill, it was a horrendous few weeks. Brains 'zaps', serious nausea, moodiness, sleep disturbance, restless leg syndrome. I usually do not take any other medication except 81 mg aspirin daily, antacids, and common supplements/vitamins.

The serious physical symptoms eventually passed after about a month. My nightmares are completely gone! Migraines and neck/back aches are fewer OFF cymbalta. (I had a cervical fusion over 10 years ago as well). I am amazed at the reduction in symptoms. I had nightmares/vivid dreamsboth from PTSD and Cymbalta and now they are completely gone. For the first time in 30 years, I have pretty normal dreaming.

The side effect that continues to plague me is anxiety. The first few weeks, I would wake up after about 10 minutes of sleep in a panic attack (right from sleep). Breathing fast and panicked for no reason. That happpened about 3 x's a week. After the first two times, I was able to calm myself and ride it out or take 1/2 a xanax when it was really bad. I never had this before. Felt like it was a withdrawal symptom. That finally went away after about a month.

However, I now have new and different anxiety symptoms.

I have been completely off Cymbalta for about 3.5 months now (no substitutions). What continues to plague me are anxiety attacks bordering on panic attacks. This ONLY happens when I lie down to go to sleep, in the middle of the night and now sometimes right when I wake up and still laying down. Only happens in the laying position. If I get up, it goes away quickly. However, every time it happens it feels like a panic attack is going to start, but I calm myself before it actual becomes a panic attack. I immediately think, Oh My God, why did I ever stop taking cymbalta. It is like my brain is still wired to want the cymbalta to relieve these NEW anxiety symptoms. These are not the same feelings/symptoms of anxiety I had from PTSD.

Anyone else have this issue with Cymbalta withdrawal? Is this ever going to end? It really feels more physiological than psychological. Sometimes I just want to call the doctor and go back on just to relieve this discomfort at night/bedtime.

My poor spouse is supportive and helpful.

In a quandary at this point. Is it still withdrawal at this point????????????? Do not wish to take another medication and go through this again!

#2 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:38 PM

I don''t have the experience to know, because I am still tapering. I hope it will go away eventually for you. I would give it 6 mos.

In the meanwhile, consider meditation to give you control over anxiety. Biofeedback (covered by insurance) is another way to control anxiety. Lastly, my understanding is that PTSD is a powerful thing...You may want therapy for that. Consider researching it more, reading up on it etc. Research anxiety too. There must be non-pharmaceutical answers. Personally, after what I read in "Anatomy of an Epidemic" by Robert Whitaker, I never want to take a psych med again.

Best wishes, and hopefully others here will have experience in this matter.

#3 coastal

coastal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

Thank you for your feedback! Having PTSD for over 10 years, I have done a considerable amount of research etc. Wondering if anyone else has had this as a withdrawal symptom. I prefer NOT to take another/different Rx and go through this again!

Thank you again.

#4 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:14 PM

By the way, I was just doing some research of my own and discovered that most cities have clinics with names like "anxiety and stress reduction centers." Why don't you call one up and ask them if they can help you with PTSD and reducing anxiety without meds? Google your city with the words "anxiety treatment" and I bet you will find such places.

#5 kerry

kerry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:03 AM

I just want to let you know what happened to me and I feel totally stupid :( I take a lot of medication per day for various things, due to a stressful university degree I have been very busy and hadn't noticed that I was not taking my Cymbalta :( I have had trouble with sleeping, PTSD nightmares, strange dreams, feeling sick, brain 'zaps' and have also had so many physical problems it's ridiculous. I genuinely have only just realised that I omitted cymbalta which is why I feel so STUPID!!! Amongst all my other meds these should have been OBVIOULSY missing - but for two weeks I have just stopped taking them completely!!!! Massive mistake.I've been climbing the walls! Yesterday I just lost it completely, stress levels went through the roof, I was screaming, crying, shaking, feeling sick and have had the most horrendous feelings of just wanting to give up on everything. So I just wanted to warn others. I've started taking them again this morning after realising - can't even writ this without crying. K x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users