• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boma

boma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:29 PM

Was on this forum while quitting cymbalta. I decided to try going cold turkey to see if I could quickly get off the drug before doing the bead counts as many others have described. I stopped from 30 mg from August 3rd and felt a bit naseous and had slight headaches during the first week, the second week got a little better, but I started to feel the same dark cloud as before I started. It is now the third week and I feel great in the mornings but get tired in the late afternoon. Although very tired after work, I decided to do home renovations in order to keep my body moving. (Although resting in the afternoons, it did not feel any better) The movement/activity seemed to have help me keep my mind off my mood and focus on doing something productive, while I believe help me to breath deeper as some of the activity required some cardio (lifting boxes and stuff). While I am still on my third week, I dont think I can go back given the progress I've made so far. Not sure if anyone is reading this, but I wanted to share my experience for those considering quitting cymbalta. While it sometimes feels a little dark as before starting cymbalta, it is also empowering taking control of my life and mood again. Good Luck to others on their journey. While the initial withdrawals were a little tough, powering through it seemed to help me get off easier than to count beads. Not sure this will work for everyone, but it may be worth a try for some depending on your individual situation. Also, I tried accupuncture last week and it seemed to help so I will continue with it.

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

Hello Boma:
It seems that it is going well for you considering you stopped cold turkey at 30mg. Having only nausea and headaches is nothing compared to the long list of symptoms I´ve had.
Also, quitting the med and feeling exactly as you felt before yout took the med is a good sign. You say that you feel the same dark cloud you felt before. In my case I tried to quit, and found my initial symptoms worsened and had new physical and emotional symptoms (irritability, etc)

I have also tried acupuncture and it is very good. Since it seems that withdrawals were not as bad for you, try other alternative methods to control de dark cloud you feel. Exercise, yoga, proper nutrition, vitamins, omega fatty acids, sunlight, etc.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

#3 boma

boma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for your comments Cookie. Sorry to hear about your other symtoms that made it difficult. Are you cymbalta free now? Thanks for your suggestions of going with exercise, yoga etc.. I will follow with this new program to keep me mentally healthy.

Well, just to give an update on day 30. Tomorrow makes once month! I have been going to accupuncture over the last 1.5 weeks and I believe it works, or at least I felt less of the nausea after I left. Last week I had two days of being completely tired all day. I slept for 11 hours each day. 8pm - 7am. But after that, I feel really great. I am enjoying more emotion (good) than I've had since I started and seem to be able respond quicker to others (vs. not knowing what to say in many situations while on cymbalta).

In the end, I regret getting on cymbalta as in my view or at least for my situation, it just masked the real cause of mild depression and was an easy pill to take vs. putting effort into doing other things like exercise, yoga, accupuncture etc. to try to battle my fight with the dark cloud.

I am very surprised with the feeling that I've had these days. Recently, each morning I feel wonderful and happy to be alive again (vs. just the buzz of cymbalta) and I know this time it is my own emotion from life itself, and not the pill doing that for me. Life is now very enjoyable again and not just a process of waking up, going to work, eating, sleeping... I can now stop and think of good things and dwell on how lucky I am just to be alive. I am not a positive person in general, so this is a very different feeling for me.

#4 OnMyWay

OnMyWay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    Stopped taking Cymbalta cold turkey on 9/25/11 after taking it since late 2007. This is my fourth or fifth attempt to stop. All of the other times I tried to stop taking Cymbalta I ended up buying more just so the side effects would go away but now I'm OnMyWay to a Cymbalta free life even if it takes some bad dreams and brain zaps.

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

I too just went cold turkey from Cymbalta 30mg a day. Since late 2007 I've been popping this expensive prescription but don't get me wrong, I can say that it has helped to balance me out mentally. This is my second day and I've been taking it very easy, getting lots of rest. I tried stopping before, about four or five times and each time I could not take the side effects so I opted for a refill. This time I'm determined to stop because the Cymbalta is starting to slow me down. I was once athletic now I have no desire to workout at all. 30mg is a pretty small dose so I feel as if it's done all that it's gonna do for me and it's time for me to move on. Now suprisingly, this second day is not as bad as it's been before. I'm having minor brain zaps and vertigo. I don't know if it's because I'm not under as much stress as I was when I attempted to go cold turkey all of the other times or is it that I'm just getting plenty of rest. Whatever it is I just want to be free from Cymbalta!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users