7 replies to this topic

#1 heathermcfeather

heathermcfeather

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

Hello,

I was prescribed Cymbalta for Fibromyalgia and arthritis pain. Also for depression and anxiety. It worked great for about 8 months and then the effectiveness started tapering off. I didn't want to raise my dose and since it totally KILLED my sex drive, I decided to wean off.

I was on 60mgs/day for 1 1/2 years. Per my doctor's instructions, I dropped to 30mgs/day for 10 days which was a piece of cake. Then she recommended 30mgs every other day which was NOT a piece of cake. I was having miniature blackouts at my desk. So, per the advice of a good friend, I split the beads in half and have been on about 15mgs/day for about 2 1/2 weeks. I have NO withdrawal symptoms, but I am in a horrible amount of pain and extremely fatigued. My Rheumatologist thinks I might have RA, so I'm trying to find out if these withdrawals can cause severe pain or if I need to try something else. I plan to drop down to about 7mgs every day for a few weeks and then try to stop.

Can anyone tell me if they've dealt with severe pain due to the withdrawal, either joint, muscle or otherwise? Thank you!

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

Hello,

I was prescribed Cymbalta for Fibromyalgia and arthritis pain. Also for depression and anxiety. It worked great for about 8 months and then the effectiveness started tapering off. I didn't want to raise my dose and since it totally KILLED my sex drive, I decided to wean off.

I was on 60mgs/day for 1 1/2 years. Per my doctor's instructions, I dropped to 30mgs/day for 10 days which was a piece of cake. Then she recommended 30mgs every other day which was NOT a piece of cake. I was having miniature blackouts at my desk. So, per the advice of a good friend, I split the beads in half and have been on about 15mgs/day for about 2 1/2 weeks. I have NO withdrawal symptoms, but I am in a horrible amount of pain and extremely fatigued. My Rheumatologist thinks I might have RA, so I'm trying to find out if these withdrawals can cause severe pain or if I need to try something else. I plan to drop down to about 7mgs every day for a few weeks and then try to stop.

Can anyone tell me if they've dealt with severe pain due to the withdrawal, either joint, muscle or otherwise? Thank you!

Hello I have taken cymbalta for almost 6 years for depression (never had pain problems). I started tapering slowly a year ago. Since then, I started experiencing new joint pain in my right knee and wrist.

#3 missratac

missratac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am on Cymbalta and want to know what problems would arise in coming off.

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:29 AM

I developed joint pain in my wrists and ankles on withdrawal - now easing. The TensCare gloves helped when it was bad.

#4 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

I developed joint pain in my wrists and ankles on withdrawal - now easing. The TensCare gloves helped when it was bad.

You also developed pain in your wrists?. I have had pain in my right wrist since march, that won´t go away.

#5 heathermcfeather

heathermcfeather

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

Thanks Cookie! Someone had told me it was a possible side effect, the joint pain. It was BAD though. After reading someone else's post on this site, I decided to call my doctor and ask for 20mgs of Prozac. I've been on the 20mgs/day of Prozac and NO Cymbalta for about 5 days now. I could barely even tell a difference. My joint pain is better, but I don't know if it's from being on the Prozac or from my arthritis not flaring up. It's still there, but better.

Now...to figure out how to get off the Prozac...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

#6 nobodyz

nobodyz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, U.S.A.
  • why_joining:
    Backup support for refusing to take doctor prescribed Cymbalta.

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:55 AM

Thanks Cookie! Someone had told me it was a possible side effect, the joint pain. It was BAD though. After reading someone else's post on this site, I decided to call my doctor and ask for 20mgs of Prozac. I've been on the 20mgs/day of Prozac and NO Cymbalta for about 5 days now. I could barely even tell a difference. My joint pain is better, but I don't know if it's from being on the Prozac or from my arthritis not flaring up. It's still there, but better.

Now...to figure out how to get off the Prozac...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

That last sentence got me laughing ... in a helpless sort of way.

THIS is the War on Drugs, methinks. Our DEA has nothing on the front lines out here, and they seem to be in all the wrong places!
If only the DEA were responsible for making this sort of hell go away as well since it is about DRUGS! Just because they are
prescribed by a guy/gal in a white lab coat doesn't make them any less dangerous, imnsho.

Hang in there.

#7 cmccalmont

cmccalmont

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:48 AM

I started weening off cymbalta, while also started Bootcamp, and am now experiencing problems with my right foot, in that I have trouble bending it (not as flexible as left foot), so I can't walk without a limp. Saw Dr yesterday, and he worried that because my foot doesn't really hurt, yet I still can't bend it much, that it's a nerve/back issue (he calls Foot Drop) and wanted me to get an MRI right away, but I just had an MRI/nerve tests a month ago and nothing was found, so I'm wondering if this from Cymbalta withdrawl or I injured it during Bootcamp.

Anyone heard of Foot Drop related to Cymbalta withdrawl?

#8 NatMeds

NatMeds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

Went off cold turkey from Cymbalta about 10 or so days ago - then OMG. Headaches, joint pain (feet, knees, hips, shoulders), emotional and anger. I thought I was losing it - didn't put it all together until today. I work for a Natural Medicine firm and they put me on a Liver Cleanse and 5-Hydroxy-Tryptophan took the "edge" off within 45 mins and now feeling a lot better, did acupunture today - I was amazed I received some relief for the pain then went into the Oxygen Chamber - I feel so much better but I know I am not 100% or no where near.

I wish someone would have told me this would happen - I had no problem taking it everything was great. I decided to get off of all meds and try the natural way - it just makes sense. Hope everyone experiencing these withdrawals finds some relief.
  • YAy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users