• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joedirt

joedirt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:40 PM

Ran out of my cymbalta, 60mg a day, on Saturday. My doctor usually writes me a prescription for 6 months at a time, I neglected to look at the bottle this time until I ran out. I've been on anti-depressants since 9-11, I've tried them all. Not being on cymbalta gives me feelings quite unlike I've ever had before. I ran out once before, I got what people described as "brain shivers", it feels like my brain is jittering inside my skull. It only does it when I am up and about. I haven't experienced anything else yet, I am still on Remeron, 30mg a day, so I'm thinking that that is helping me somewhat.

I did quit Wellbutrin xl, 300mg a day, before for a year, and I didn't experience anything noteworthy. What is so different about cymbalta from the other anti-depressants?

#2 joedirt

joedirt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:48 AM

Thanks for the reply, greybeard.

Yes, I was directly involved on 9-11, working in wedge 1 at the pentagon on the day of the attack. My ptsd didn't actually hit me until several months later, with the stress plus a bitter divorce I was going thru at the same time. I was initially put on lexapro, with remeron. After a few months I was put on celexa, then paxil, then geodon. After a time I was put on wellbutrin, still with the remeron kicker and this combination seemed to work very well.

After a few years, when I began to question whether I needed the medication any more, I stopped taking it cold turkey. I was sleepy for a few days after stopping, but that was about it. My wife and I were trying to start a family and that was the main reason for stopping, I didn't know if the medication would affect the creation of the baby or cause any defects. Our daughter was born premature, though, and coupled with stress at work, bills piling up, and various other issues, I contacted my doctor again to see if I could start the wellbutrin/remeron mix again for a short time.

He wanted to try me on cymbalta, I had seen the commercials on television, and thought okay, I'll give it a shot. I didn't experience any "start-up" issues I had had with the other medications, i.e. being lethargic, sleeping alot, ravenous hunger, etc. Cymbalta seemed to work pretty fast, too, I was feeling like my "old self" within a couple of days.

I ran out of cymbalta a few months later, I felt that I had "gotten" over the hump, so I didn't bother to call him and get a new prescription. Two days after stopping, I was hit with the brain shivers and a desire to do nothing other than sleeping or just "lounging" on the sofa. By the end of the third day, my wife had had enough and called herself. That night I resumed taking cymbalta and was back to my old self within a few days.

Today, Tuesday, is my third day off of cymbalta. I've had to stay home so far this week, there's no way I could deal with my job. Still got the brain shivers, not really hungry, which is a new one as I am always hungry, and have no desire to do anything. Even typing this I am fighting absent-mindedness, staring out the window, I keep wanting to go lay down.

I am seeing my doctor this morning, he will surely put me back on cymbalta, though I'm going to request something else.

My biggest fear is that I will always be on medications.

#3 joedirt

joedirt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:33 PM

Well, Back from my doctor and he wants me to continue cymbalta.

So now I'm debating whether to start it again or just ride out these withdraw symptoms. Started getting the feeling that spiderwebs are all over my legs. I'm kind've curious as to what other withdraw symptoms I would experience if I were to not start the cymbalta again. As my luck would have it, I wouldn't make it to see the end of the withdraw.

Maybe I'll just flip a coin. I would really like these brain shivers to stop, though.

#4 joedirt

joedirt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

WOW, I can't believe it has been over a year since I posted here.

I am firmly back under the spell of Cymbalta and see no light at the end of the tunnel. I am deathly afraid of stopping this medication again. I hate the fact that I am totally dependant on this chemical cocktail.

My latest craze is waking up at 2am and devouring boxes of cereal. I'm not new to the stuff your face with food routine, but I am consuming 2-3 boxes of cereal a week. Before that, it was Oreo cookies and Coca-Cola. I've ballooned from last years' weight of 165-170 to my heaviest ever, 235. Way back when I started on anti-depressiants, I weighed about 130.

But I can't stop. I am conscious that I am eating way too much, but its as though something else takes control and I'm just along for the ride. My Dr keeps reminding me that sub-consciously, I have lost something inside and being unable to replace or find it, my body is doing the only thing it can, which is to eat. What I have lost, I have no idea. I can thank the 5 bastards who flew the airplane into the Pentagon for that.

I wish I could go back to 1998, before 9-11, before the ex-wife, back to when I was me.

#5 tiredofcymbalta

tiredofcymbalta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationTEXAS USA
  • why_joining:
    i have been coming off cymbalta for months now, i have brain zaps, ear problems, dizziness, i am so glad to have found a group like this

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:37 PM

On 9-11, after being told I could NEVER have children. I was giving birth to my miracle son. Even though it was a horrible day of tragedy, I received a blessing. My child was born at 854am.

#6 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:58 AM

On 9-11, after being told I could NEVER have children. I was giving birth to my miracle son. Even though it was a horrible day of tragedy, I received a blessing. My child was born at 854am.

Oh hooray, you're back. I'm about to answer your email; I've no doubt everybody else will be pleased to see you here too.

cheers, Maureen.

#7 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

joedirt,
That's so strange about the cereal as I did the same when I was on Cymbalta, but only because I
couldn't get out of the house to buy myself food. It so destroyed my life all the way around.

You can do this, and geet off this crap, it just will take you time, and you will have to go very
slowly that's all.

We are all here for you to help you in anyway we can!!

You say it's been a year since you have been here, but I know that name. Do you belong to
another site as well?

Debbie

#8 joedirt

joedirt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:01 PM

You say it's been a year since you have been here, but I know that name. Do you belong to
another site as well?

Debbie

A couple of truck forums and recently signed up on allthingszombie.com. No other med-type forums.

#9 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:03 PM

joedirt,
Guess there is just another guy with the same name. So how are you doing today?
Let me know what's going on!

Here for you,
Debbie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users