• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DDR

DDR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:03 AM

This is day 6 now with no cymbalta.....yesterday was pure hell....besides the physical symptoms, I was felt like a basketcase! I cried nonstop for hours and was feeling pretty desperate! I think I may have scared my boyfriend somewhat as well...he said he did not know what to do! Well just a little advice..if you know of someone coming off this drug...DO NOT leave them alone when they reach out.....We just need some reassurance that all will be okay...Well Im trying to get myself together enough to go to work today...Say a prayer for me...Im gonna need it. DD

#2 darren

darren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:
    Tapering off 120mg of Cymbalta to 0mg in 2 weeks

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:01 AM

DDR,
Congrats on day 6. I am on day 3. Remember, you are not alone! Even if the ones you love don't know what to do. You will be ok. I will say many prayers for you. Just hang in there. Feel free to send me a message or email me.

Darren

#3 Caresy

Caresy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:58 AM

Hi DDR,

Before I found this forum with all of it's fantastic information and help and very supportive users, I felt desperate and alone. 2 docs told me Cymbalta has no side effects from withdrawl and is non-addictive so what I was feeling was not related to trying to get off of it.

Know you are not alone here and you can come here anytime for support when you need it!!!! But if it gets too much to handle call a doctor right away. I tried cold turkey and thought I was going to die on the end of day four and went back on it full strength and within 20 mins felt just fine - guess my docs where wrong huh? I'm not suggesting if you get overwhelmed you go back on it (that's just what I did before I found this forum), but if you need real medical help, or if someone close to you thinks you do - get it!

C.

#4 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:18 AM

What I don't get is why you guys are going cold turkey? That is just asking for all these withdrawal symptoms. Didn't you look around this site? There are many of us here doing it the sane way with ZERO withdrawal symptoms. I am working full time at a demanding job and juggling much else. Because of that I am choosing to taper the slow sane way. Here is info on it: https://www.cymbalta...f-off-cymbalta/

#5 darren

darren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:22 AM

What I don't get is why you guys are going cold turkey? That is just asking for all these withdrawal symptoms. Didn't you look around this site? There are many of us here doing it the sane way with ZERO withdrawal symptoms. I am working full time at a demanding job and juggling much else. Because of that I am choosing to taper the slow sane way. Here is info on it: https://www.cymbalta...f-off-cymbalta/

Imdone,

The only reason I went cold turkey is because I was on a taper plan and I felt horible. I feel better without any. I went from 120mg to 60mg in one week. My plan was to go from 60mg to 0mg next week. But decided I was better off just quiting. I havn't missed any work, managing two business. Yes I did feel like crap for a few days but now I am better each day. Energy level is way up. The end of side effects is near. I was given Cymbalta for nerve pain two years ago. Have had no pain since tapering. I have emotions again. Maybe cold turkey is not for everybody but maybe tapering is not either.

D

#6 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:45 PM

Darren, Maybe you weren't on it very long. I've been on it for years. Also, I am wanting to make sure my body doesn't go back into depression with the sudden neural changes. If you run into trouble down the road, read this book and it will explain the need to go slow on Cymbalta. I admit on other meds you can taper more quickly. [Whitaker: Anatomy of an Epidemic].

#7 darren

darren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:47 AM

Darren, Maybe you weren't on it very long. I've been on it for years. Also, I am wanting to make sure my body doesn't go back into depression with the sudden neural changes. If you run into trouble down the road, read this book and it will explain the need to go slow on Cymbalta. I admit on other meds you can taper more quickly. [Whitaker: Anatomy of an Epidemic].

Imdone,

I was on it for just over 2 years at 120mg per day. I am not saying my way is the only way. But I am on nothing other than Vitamin D3 and Omega 3.

D

#8 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

120 mg is a high dose. I was on that dose at one time too....rather an overkill as it made my legs antsy. And 2 yrs is a long time, so I'll be amazed if you can get off that fast and not get depressed. I tried it once fast and went straight back into depression and got terrible itching. Doing it the slow way I am having no depression and the itching is just off and on, not so bad. I take vit d and omega too, have for years.

#9 darren

darren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:14 PM

120 mg is a high dose. I was on that dose at one time too....rather an overkill as it made my legs antsy. And 2 yrs is a long time, so I'll be amazed if you can get off that fast and not get depressed. I tried it once fast and went straight back into depression and got terrible itching. Doing it the slow way I am having no depression and the itching is just off and on, not so bad. I take vit d and omega too, have for years.

Very high dose! And I was given it for nerve pain. Had no depression, however I do believe the high dose caused some depression as I had no feelings anymore for anybody or anything. I was a zombie. Crazy things happened at home and work and I just didn't care. Now I am putting it all back together.

#10 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

Yes, I know exactly what you mean about Cymbalta numbing feelings. I can see they are coming back with me as I cried yesterday when hearing a 9/11 story.

Cymbalta is an evil med indeed. I had no idea it was so hard to get off until I tried.

#11 sal0526

sal0526

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:13 PM

Im also having very desperate thoughts, on day 5 without any cymbalta. in addition, I can't seem to keep any food down, in some case, I throw it up minutes after eating it, and even dry heaving when theres nothing in my tummy. I can get water down, but just barely. I read that allergy to food can be a withdrawal sympton, is anyone else experiencing that? My dr cut me off at 60 mgs in July, cold turky, with zero understanding of the withdrawal effects. I had to ask her for 30mg, and then 20mgs, then wean my self slowly using the unscrew and count out pebbles technique. Im rapidly losing weight (although alot of it was put on thanks to my pal Cymbalta), and very worried, when will I see the light?

#12 JAMIE1975

JAMIE1975

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
  • why_joining:
    have been on Cymbalta for years and know what it's like to try to get off

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:00 PM

Im also having very desperate thoughts, on day 5 without any cymbalta. in addition, I can't seem to keep any food down, in some case, I throw it up minutes after eating it, and even dry heaving when theres nothing in my tummy. I can get water down, but just barely. I read that allergy to food can be a withdrawal sympton, is anyone else experiencing that? My dr cut me off at 60 mgs in July, cold turky, with zero understanding of the withdrawal effects. I had to ask her for 30mg, and then 20mgs, then wean my self slowly using the unscrew and count out pebbles technique. Im rapidly losing weight (although alot of it was put on thanks to my pal Cymbalta), and very worried, when will I see the light?

#13 JAMIE1975

JAMIE1975

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
  • why_joining:
    have been on Cymbalta for years and know what it's like to try to get off

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

I'm on Cymbalta for textbook bi-polar. I was NOT diagnosed with this when I started it 7yrs ago. I feel like with this med I keep progressing into something worse. My doc thinks it's dumb when I ask "SO WHEN I MOVE ON TO SCHIZOPHRENIA?" fEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME! druidess75@gmail.com

#14 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:42 AM

Jamie, the same thing happened to me. Then I read "Anatomy of an Epidemic" by Robert Whitaker and realized I was being over-medicated and over-diagnosed. I once took Lamictal, Risperdal, Neurontin and Cymbalta. Now I'm down to slowly getting off Cymbalta, the hardest of all 4 to get off and I feel great! No depression and certainly no "bipolar." Read the book!

#15 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:46 AM

Sal, I think you just came off it too fast. I have been counting "pebbles" since 52 days ago when I started coming down from 90 mg Cymbalta. I have come down 1 mg more per day and I hardly have any withdrawal symptoms, certainly none as bad as what you are going through. Don't go any faster than minus 1 mg per day. Now I'm down to 38 mg and doing GREAT! 38 days to go! Patience, people!! This drug is like heroin!

#16 SufferingAlone

SufferingAlone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:41 AM

Have been on Cymbalta for 7 years and am weaning myself off from 90 to 30 to 15 and now. None. My husband of 27 years has been deployed 2 out of the last 6 years. We have 4 children and I want to desperately get off this poison. This is Day 9 without any Cymbalta. The brain zaps are debilitating and the crying and rage are unpredictable. Last night I was ready to take at least 30 mg. I was giving one last shot that I could find some help "out there". My Dr. will talk me into going back on it so please all I beg your advice. I am 51 and I only take vitamin D and fish oil plus some prilosec. I'm also heading out of state to care for my dying father. Thank you for even letting me have a place to vent.

#17 Imdone

Imdone

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:50 AM

My advice is to wean 1 mg per day by counting beads. This is the only way to prevent severe withdrawal reactions. I have been doing it for 90 days and I still get real tired even going that slowly.

Here's info on it: https://www.cymbalta...f-off-cymbalta/

#18 Theresa

Theresa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:24 PM

I can't believe I'm here again. Back in June my pain management doctor recommended Cymbalta for long term chronic back pain that had been labeled as "failed back surgery syndrome".
I decided to give it a try since nothing else seem to help. No one even mentioned that I may want to taper off of the Zoloft I'd been taking for 9 months. So I stopped taking it one day and started taking the Cymbalta 30mg and after 2days I was bed ridden with withdrawals from the zoloft. (at the time I had no idea that was what was happening) I decided to get advise from two other doctors instead of the pain management doctor since I felt he didn't give me good advise to start with. My GP said , "well if the zoloft was working just go back to taking it...not understanding why PMD prescribed Cybalta for something other than depression.
Next Dr I tried was unsure of what was going on and only seemed to tell me to hang in there it will get better. My husband and I figured out on my own what was happening. We decided to move right on to 60gm of Cymbalta instead of doing a week of 30 to help get me straight again.

Cymbalta seemed to be helping mildly for a couple of months but then a lot of new pain set in. All my joints started with the arthritic pain in feet, toes, knees, fingers and wrists. Wow couldn't believe all those areas at once. I had my mind made up when I told the doctor about this he'd consider me crazy and increase the dose of Cymbalta. What he recommended for me was to try something new..."what? you want me to switch drugs after all the nightmares after I've read about Cymbalta withdrawals?" He was very convincing if Lyrica and Cymbalta didn't work this could be the one. Savella. Asked me to do half of a 25mg for a few days and to lower down to 30's on the Cymbalta. After a week go to two 25's a day on Savella and every other day on the 30mg of Cymbalta. If I have trouble with that take Cymbalta 30 everyday and Savella half of 25 am and pm. Problem started as I was driving home thinking that it didn't seem safe to me taking two kinds of antidepressants at once. I remembered reading about Serotonin Syndrome in the past. So that night I took half a Savella after discussing options with my husband because he went through last episode with me and it was just as hard for him as me because he felt so helpless. Upon reading up again on the Serotonin Syndrome I scared myself out of taking my Cymbalta the next day. No problems except for some light headed feelings. The second day (was a Saturday) I believed that since Friday went well I'd just go with the Savella alone. Had the best day I've had in some time. Even went shopping with my Mom. I HATE shopping. Only doing absolute musts for shopping.
Started feeling really dizzy before bedtime last night and by 1am was sure I'd be up all night and I was. Couldn't get out of be until noon and even sitting up was out of question. Its aweful. Convinced it withdrawals from Cymbalta and not side effects from Savella. My husband helped me to not be scared of taking a 30mg of the Cymbalta to see if symptoms lessen later today so at least I can move around some. He's feeling like I should have listened to the doc and went with his advise instead of letting the internet scare me. I just felt
like pain management doctors may not be as educated on serotonin syndrome as lets say ER docs or a psychologist.

Well, after keeping you so long I'm finally here. What do you all think. I'm planning, I guess to do the taper system, counting balls as you say. I have an appointment with my psychologist on Thursday and will definitely ask his opinion then if I don't land in hospital before then.
Thanks for listening and Prayers out to everyone suffering.
T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users