• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 soberwill

soberwill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:54 AM

I've been on 60 Mg Cymbalta for over 7 years, and I am also a recovering alcoholic with exactly 8 months clean and sober. It got to the point where I was in an emotionally insulated "cymbalta zone" that prevented me from feeling both happiness and sadness. So I spoke to my Doc (not really too helpful, he wanted me to step down or replace it with another med), my family, my sponsor, and some trusted friends, and decided to try to wean by counting granules.

1) Cracked open an Cymbalta and counted granules - 202 in a 60mg capsule, just like others on here have confirmed.
2) Set up an Excel spreadsheet with Date, Mg, Granules in dose, Granules to take away, and a field for observed side effects.
3) Set out on a 90 day "weaning" schedule.

Day 1 was September 14 with 3 granules removed. So far, I feel foggy headed with a vague, achy sick feeling but NO BRAIN ZAPS which is the one symptom I can't stand.

Today is Day 7, and I'm down to 51 Mg (30 granules removed). I actually feel more alive than I have in years, even though it's offset by crappy flu like feelings. Vague Nausea, headaches, etc. But nothing I can't deal with.

Granted, I attend 2 AA meetings a day, and I pray and meditate and rely on my higher power to get me through each day one day at a time. I also have a tremendous support system and everybody who cares about me is "on board" with my desire to live completely medication free for the first time in decades.

My final thoughts are that the 12 step program approach to learning how to live may be very useful in weaning from this powerful psychotropic. For years and years I was a practicing alcoholic and drug addict and doctors were my enablers/drug pushers. But I don't resent them, for they were doing what they were trained to do.

I'm really interested in any comments/feedback/encouragement/criticism from you on this board. Thanks for sharing your experiences, I read this forum for hours and you really helped me summon the courage to try to get off this very powerful psychotropic.

#2 soberwill

soberwill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

Today is day 62 of the wean. I started at 60 mg, today I am at 7 mg. Been counting granules. . .today is 24 granules.

#3 tulip11

tulip11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:48 AM

hi soberwill,

best advice so far. Have been on the 60mg for two and half years. I actually requested it after discovering it had been approved for fibromyalgia also. Big mistake. Get brains zaps on it anyway. Can handle the withdrawal symptoms you describe, get them with CFS any way. Start tonight. Thanks for the formula

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users