• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rachelpereira

rachelpereira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:36 AM

I just started weaning from Cymbalta 48 hrs ago. From horror stories I have read I am terrified about what is probably going to happen to me shortly. As of right now, I just have some mild nausea. Please, can someone give me some advice? This drug has negatively affected every aspect of my life and I want off of it.

#2 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:03 AM

Blake and Greybeard gave you great advice. Blake did mention being more aggressive than usual. What I want people to know is the anger! The anger did freak me out. The anger came from now where. I just want you to beware of the rage you may feel but please understand its the withdrawal and not you. There are many things to do to ease the withdrawal symptoms....
Take Omega 3 or foods rich in Omega 3
Your doctor may prescribe an anti depressant that does not have the withdrawal side effects that Effexor and Cymbalta has.
Daily Vitamin
B Complex
Water
Decaf tea versus coffee
Honey versus sugar
Cinnamon in capsule form or sprinkled in your tea is wonderful
Take a daily walk
Read the news versus watching it on tv
Dont look at any graphic movies, for now stick with something like the Hallmark Channel or kids movies and shows or some of the 'old timey shows'
Let your family members know what you are going through, allow them to read some of the posts here
Post here regularly whether it be questions or venting, we are all here for you.
Understand your sleep patterns will be completely screwed up

I may have missed a few ideas and things to do to help but also know that I could not do some of the things I mentioned above. I could not handle the brain zaps, anxiety and anger, so I stayed in my bed 4 or more hours a day. I could not always control my anger and my boyfriend got the full blunt of my rage, I could not always control my anxiety and again he got the full blunt of that too. I had crazy thoughts going through my head all the time. Summer is here and school is out, and I am the one here taking care of his 12 year old special needs daughter. If this was the beginning of my Cymbalta withdrawals, I do not think he would have trusted me to take care of her......It was that much of a nightmare for me. I can not stress enough that the withdrawals seem too hard to deal with, but I can not stress to you enough that it is the withdrawals only and that by taking one hour at a time YOU CAN DO IT.

The confussion was another thing that freaked me out. I sounded like a complete idiot each time I opened my mouth. I could not think, I could not speak, I could not read, it took me forever to cook dinner or clean the kitchen. I could not clean the house, I felt like I was going in circles......back to bed. Driving for me was scary, I did not feel comfortable driving. I felt like I was floating or somehow not attached to my own body.

Not everyone will experience these things, I am only listing them so you will understand that if you do suffer from any of these things, you will know its the Cymbalta withdrawals. These are the things I dealt with but there are many others who did not deal with these BUT they dealt with pain, and I did not have the pain, thank God.

Remember to take care of yourself, go easy on yourself.
God bless and keep you safe,
Lori

#3 jeff3298

jeff3298

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNorthern California - East Bay

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:08 PM

Hi Racheal
There is hope, do not be afraid, you have found a safe place. Read as much as you can on this website and learn as much as you can about this drug. Listien to your body/brain and be very careful in what you do. I tried cold turkey and it nearly killed me, tried a fast taper and ended up having to do a slow taper. Read the advice of the many who have gone before you and beat this drug. Your doctors are pretty useless when it comes to the truth about getting off this drug.

Hang in there, you can do it and do not be afraid, your in a safe place here.
I will be praying for you
Jeff

#4 CathyH

CathyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:41 PM

This thread is absolutely perfect for me. Blake, your post described almost exactly what I'm experiencing. I'm 7 days out from my last dose of Cymbalta. I'm scared, too. I have read many places about the Prozac helping symptoms, but my doc won't give me any, and no one else will either, for fear of stepping on his golden toes. So, I just have to tough it out with what I have, which is Klonopin (a drug I'm on anyway). Klonopin helps with the brain zaps.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I really needed to hear them tonight.

CathyH

#5 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:17 AM

Cathy, has your doctor said why he won't give you Prozac? Maybe if you printed some of the information from the links it would be helpful.

I'm glad the Klonopin is helping with the zaps, that is at least something. Read through some of the posts here that give you some ideas on what has helped others. Omega 3 is a good source whether in supplement or from food sources. There is information in the Nutrition section.

It is a scary place to be at the beginning, but stay as relaxed and calm as you can. Soothing music, low stress movies or TV, go outside and enjoy some sunshine, but most importantly, when you feel anxious and usettled, remember that is is your body adjusting to not having Cymbalta in your system. It isn't you, you aren't losing your mind. Come here to vent, ask questions, or just ask for support. This site helped me through the worst of it, and I'm well over 120 days now. It will get better, and this will be something that you have fought and won. You can do it!

Babby

#6 CathyH

CathyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:01 PM

Hi Babby.....Found another one of your replies. Still finding my way around.

My doc is being an ass. Long story as short as possible: A little over two months ago, I went to an appt w/him, and he asked me why I never get any better. I seem to reach a certain point (and I truly do try), and can never progress past that point. He asked me how I was before I was put on meds. I told him I did fine. I struggled with some depression and anxiety, but did function okay. I was put on meds during a post partum depression with my las child--14 years ago. Anyway, he asked me how I felt about going off my meds, and seeing how I do. I had already gone down on Cymbalta for a previous reason, and was at 30mg every other day. He told me of a success story about this woman in the same predicament as me. I jumped right on that bandwagon. I had been brainwashed all these years that I would never again be med free--without my meds, my life would be ruined.

So, he began to instruct me on the steps I was to take. Not at my prodding at all. I thought these plans and conversations about reducing meds would take place during scheduled appts. But, when I called for refills, he would instruct me, via his receptionist, what to reduce. The first one was to take my Seroquel dose from 600mg daily to 300mg daily, which went fine. The next time, I had called for med refills again, a month later, and he instructed me once again, via his receptionist, to go off the Cymbalta 7 days from that conversation.

I had an appt with him a week after that, and he suddenly, during this appt, turned tail and told me I wouldn't be able to do this, I would fail, and would never be successful at this (being med free). I was stunned, hurt, baffled, felt totally abandoned. HE WAS THE ONE WHO TOLD ME I COULD DO THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE. HE GAVE ME HOPE THAT I COULD BE MED FREE. And suddenly, I have no support from him and I can't even muster an ounce of trust in him. He did say, at that last appt, that he would do this with me, but he didn't agree with it. F*ck-tard.

Anyway, I did some research with the aid of some friends from a different site, and learned that Prozac could help. I called his office, told his receptionist what I had found out, and requested a few doses of Prozac (I've heard thats all it really takes). His answer was just simply no.

I'm almost convinced, at this point, that he would like to see me fail. Gee.....If I was successful, he would have to give up the power of the prescription pad. His ego might even get a little bruised. I've even thought he may be covering his ass all of a sudden. If people knew he had instructed me to do this in the first place, and I wound up in really bad shape, he could be held responsible. I'd bet my gasoline allowance for the month that none of that went into my chart, except the part about him telling me I wouldn't be successful.

Sorry this is so lengthy, but that's why I can't get any Prozac

CathyH

#7 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:43 PM

First, I had to laugh when you said F*cktard, because I used that word on my son in law in jest a few years ago, and that has become our new joke word! If it were me, I would report this man to the medical board! Yikes, to get you moving in one direction, and then to abandon you, and tell you that you will fail! It sounds to me like he wants to keep the money rolling in!

I would look into finding another doctor to treat this if you can. You will not fail at this. We have all been, or are where you are, and while it can be a struggle, it really can be done. Prozac would likely make the transition easier, but Omega 3 helped me a lot, as did just working to stay as calm as possible. I know that isn't always realistic, but when you CAN control your environment, such as what you watch on TV, what you eat etc, there is much you can do without using another med.

Truly, each day will get a bit easier. It is frustrating to not feel "normal" right away, but honestly, one day, I just felt calmer, and more clear headed. I was able to pick up a book and read, I actually began leaving the house, and interacting with people. Towards the end of my time on Cymbalta, I hadn't left my home in 8 weeks. My daughter brought me groceries, and I basically bounced between being up for up to 20 hours, to sleeping for 20 hours, and I couldn't focus on anything like TV or reading or talking on the phone. That was when, for some reason, a little warning bell went off, and told me I had to get a grip. Yes, withdrawal was nasty, but my life was even worse, and it was so worth the pain of withdrawal to get my life back.

It would be great if a doctor would help you, but if not, do try some of the nutritional ideas that are posted here. The do work, and you will beat this demon drug!

Babby

#8 CathyH

CathyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:39 PM

I'm having lots of zaps tonight, and am really struggling with them. Day 8. But I am determined. I am going to do this, I am not going back. Only forward. Up.

I'm definetely going to look for a new doc, but don't feel I am in any condition to do so right now. I will continue with Dr. Dickhead until the Cymbalta thing is done, or I start feeling better. I CANNOT be with a doctor I cannot trust, or who doesn't have my best interest at heart. The thing is I have been with this doc for 5 years, and have always thought him to be a good doc, one who listened, etc. I saw a side of him that day that i have never seen before. Don't care to ever see it again.

Thanks for the encouragement. I need it. I do believe that I will wake up someday, and things will be a little better, and then a little better, and so on..... I will get to that day. I AM going to beat this.

I'm getting Omega 3 tonight.

#9 CathyH

CathyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:51 PM

When I had that appt with him that day, I left the office wondering if he DID have bipolar.

I have another appt with him Tuesday, and I will see what happens. I AM going to be honest with him and let him know, in a very calm manner, how I felt about last appt. See what his reaction is. Hell, he may just fire me on the spot. Okay by me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users