5 replies to this topic

#1 mspat08

mspat08

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Locationtexas
  • why_joining:
    want to find out who's going through the same shittiness and how to avoid it...

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:51 PM

I guess it's my own fault for not remembering or checking when I was due for a refill..I haven't taken my usual 60mg of cymbalta since7/5/08..started feeling bad on 7/8/08.On Mon. I went to the speak with the nurse and she said "u have no more refills" duh...Help me..so anyway I have an 8:30 appt. tommorrow with my dr.but ..I've been having these very bad hot flashes?I guess that's how to describe it .along with headaches,dissiness.nausea,lightheadedness..no appetitde.Don't know if I should just stop all meds now or what..I've been on several antidepressants for 8 years..And this past yr. when my grandbaby past away ..things got worse..

#2 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:38 PM

Houdi is right, you are very lucky not to have experienced withdrawal symptoms until day 7 or 8. I was on Cymbalta for mild depression and minor anxiety...it made my depression much worse. "Hermit" is a good word to describe how I acted/felt while on Cymbalta. I knew I wasn't getting out much, but I truly did not have enough energy to do anything after getting home from work. I have seen my two best friends (who live in the same city with me) only twice during the past 6-12 months :) And that is only because they basically "told me" when and where to meet them. How sad is that...I haven't seen either of their kids in over a year, and I have always been an extremely "kid-friendly" person!! My poor nephews (5 under the age of 5) probably just think I am always grumpy and tired :cry: That is what makes me sooo mad...I will never get that special time with them back! Thank goodness they are so young and probably will not remember how bad I was, but that is not the point...I missed out on things in my life that I didn't have to miss!! Grrr! :evil:

#3 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:40 PM

Thanks Houdi! I don't feel guilt; just a little sadness and some anger about losing a year of my life (at least I CAN feel something again). You are right, we were victims of this terrible drug. But it is important for those of us who survive to not look backwards at what we missed or lost...we must look forward and do everything we can to live our lives to the fullest and warn others about this drug!

Whenever I start to feel any guilt or start to second guess myself, I think of that poor girl's family that killed herself during the original Cymbalta trial...that sure puts it in perspective for me!! And I bet there are many others out there who didn't survive this drug (either because of suicide or other health issues)...eventually, we will all learn how truly evil this drug and it's makers are...it's just terrible that so many innocent people have to suffer first!

But, for those of us who survive, we shouldn't beat ourselves up or guilt ourselves! We deserve to live life to the fullest and ride the roller coaster of emotions that "normal life" brings! However, we also have a duty to "fight the fight" and get this drug off the market (or at least educate doctors and patients about the potential for serious problems)!

#4 jackie1013

jackie1013

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:28 PM

Hi,
My name is Jackie. I took Cymbalta for about 4 years for Fibromyalgia. When Lyrica came along I was hesitant to try it but the pain was so bad my psychiatrist insisted, so I did. It worked for me. I am still surprised and elated.
Then it was time to cut out all the other crap I was taking for pain. (ie cymbalta, neurontin, mirapex...). I started with the Cymbalta. I was taking 20mg 3x's a day. Our plan of action was to decrease it by one for 3 weeks. So I did. I had no problem at all until... I took my last one on a Monday and that tuesday I became a weeping, sobbing, irate, fly off the handle MESS!
My poor husband. I was leaving him. I was putting him out. I wanted a divorce. (If you knew us you would know that this is never gonna happen) I was talking out of my head.
It took me about 4 days to realize this could be from the Cymbalta. I turned towards the internet. First I went to the drug manufacturer for withdrawal symptoms. Silly me! Like they were gonna tell me. Then I went to about 3 different forums and read about the people who were living it. I couldn't believe the problems.
I read where one guy just started taking it again cause he couldn't take the side effects. I thought I was gonna end up like him. But I stuck it out. I refused to go through this again at a later point. It took about a month. Yes a month of taking no Cymbalta. I finally started to feel better. I was supposed to continue my regimen of getting off the other things but this wiped me out so I put it on hold for awhile. I won't list all my side effects because they are depressing and there were too many. I will say that I was suicidal. Something that I never want to feel again.
One person posted a link to the FDA so you could fill out the form and let them know what the meds were doing to you. I wish I had of kept it but I think I located it. Try http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/
One person actually opened up the pills and counted the beads to get through it.
Anyway I'm here to say: You will get through it. If you and your doctor decide you need to come off of it, whatever it takes, stick with it.
Good luck and good health to you all!
Jackie

#5 DuneAlia

DuneAlia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:08 PM

Delete my account.

#6 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:44 PM

I am only on 30s and I want off have tried every 2 days got severe shivers, not i havent been out of bed fot three days, i am going to start empting some of the meds out of the capsules

Hi,

you will almost certainly find you do better taking (eg) 15mg every day (or 20, or 25 etc) than trying to take ANY dose every second day. With the alternate days method, your body starts trying to adjust to the lack of Cymbalta in your system, then you introduce it again, going through the same symptoms MANY do when the begin taking the drug.

When I'd been doing 30mg every second day for about 10 days, I found I only needed 20mg to alleviate virtually all of the withdrawal symptoms, then I went down a few mg at a time, every five or six days. Each time I dropped, I would immediately (within a day or so) get very mild symptoms (enough to warn me that going any faster was unwise) then I would wait for those to disappear before dropping again.

Some find it takes longer for the withdrawal symptoms to appear, so take it easy for a start - don't get too impatient (like we ALL do) - you'll get there in the end.

A 30mg capsule has 270 beads, if that's any help. In the US there is a 20mg capsule available.

regards, Maureen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users