• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shercharb

shercharb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:32 PM

In the past year, I have been through a burn-out & sick leave from work, quit my job (due to this burn-out), eventually found a new one, lost that one after 6 months (reason for them firing me = "You're not a good fit"), recently lost a good friend to cancer, got divorced (my lawyer just told me that my Ex signed the divorce papers), haven't spoken to my mother in almost 1 year, moved in with my new boyfriend of 1.5 years this past June... Well, all this to say that my psychiatrist diagnosed me with Major Depression. Not only due to the circumstances in my life, but also because everyone else in my family (Uncles, Aunt, Grandmother, Mother) suffer from this terrible disease.

My psychiatrist prescribed me different meds from Prozac to other anti-depressants. Finally, I was asked to try Cymbalta. They put me on 30mg, then 60mg, then 120mg. I've been on 120mg for over 6 months until I quit for two reasons:

Reasion #1: I called my psychiatrist to refill my cymbalta prescription because I had run out. I called 3 times for them to refill my RX. To no avail (which was very unusual because they usually refill my RX w/o hesitation), they would NOT call me back. Finally, I decided to call my psychiatrist under his "URGENT NUMBER" since I was going on 3 days w/o any meds and started to go through major withdrawal symptoms. What was his response? "You didn't show up to your last appointment". I told him that I understand that I didn't show up, but that I needed my RX refilled ASAP due to these withdrawal symptoms that I was experiencing. He again repeated "But you didn't show up to your last appointment", to which I replied again "I understand that, and I am sorry for that, but I am going through MAJOR withdrawal symptoms and I need my RX filled ASAP!", to which he replied "I will do that as long as you call and make an appointment tomorrow". So, my conclusion to his manipulating response was that he was more concerned about getting paid his $125 for my 15 min appointment with his office than refilling my RX. I decided THEN that I wasn't going to call back and that I was going to quit cold turkey. How dare he manipulate me?!?!!!

Reason #2: I lost my job, therefore my medical insurance, and could no longer afford to purchase Cymbalta (w/o insurance, it can cost up to $500 for 1 months prescription. So, I was ready (so I thought) to go through "hellish" withdrawal symptoms.

Withdrawal Symptoms:
- Non-stop brain zaps the first few weeks (it was as if someone was using a defibrillator on my brain). Now that I'm on my third week, my brain zaps occur less often, but STILL occur occasionally at least once a day.
- The first few weeks I felt like I was ready to SCREAM and YELL at anyone and anything that got in my way (I'm glad I'm unemployed because I would have been fired due to my uncontrollable spurts of anger). So I experienced MAJOR mood swings (I still am, but they are getting better). All I can say is that I am blessed to have my boyfriend's support (probably because he's afraid that I'm going to kick him out of HIS own house - lol!).
- Once I was driving and for a split second, I didn't know where I was.
- I even forgot how to sign my name once!
- For the past 3 weeks, I have not been able to hold down any substantial food... So, constant nausea is now something that I'm getting used to.
- I feel like I want to crawl out of my skin at times.
- My joints are KILLING me... I'm thinking that I have fybromyalgia or something because EVERYTHING hurts - even when my bf hugs me.
- Weight Gain - They said that I would lose weight on this. I did not. I gained 30lbs. So the extra weight on my joints is not helping either

Long Term Solution:
- I used to be in shape, so I know that eating well and going to the gym is going to help with my withdrawal symptoms. Since 2007, I've let myself go and have gained over 80lbs. SOOOOO, I want to start watching what I eat and go to the gym to do at least 45 minutes of cardio since that will help with the serotonin levels in my brain. I think by doing this, it's going to help get rid of my depression and get my MENTAL health back on track.

Conclusion: DO NOT take any ssri's until you do enough research on the withdrawal symptoms.

That's my story... What's yours?

#2 hopetosmilesoon

hopetosmilesoon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    NEED ADVICE

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:23 AM

Wow, you sound just like me except for I haven't had brain zaps or nausea. Just the legs & feet pain, frustration, no patience...am just now starting to show emotions other than the patience wearing thin about 3 weeks ago. Last dosage was 12.5.11.

#3 hopetosmilesoon

hopetosmilesoon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    NEED ADVICE

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:28 AM

Sorry I think i posted in the wrong place. The legs & feet pain is pretty incredible. My patience is very thin. Showed no emotion other than happy till about three weeks ago. Starting to cry over some things now, but not like I would like too. Last dosage was 12.5.11. Didn't make it to work so far today. Could hardly walk this a.m., took 600 mg ibuprofen, then soaked in the tub for 30 minutes. Did help some! Guess i'll be soaking alot for the next few days (hopefully only a few more days). This is the first time I didn't go to work from this. I have a desk job.

#4 feelincrappy

feelincrappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:27 AM

I just discovered this website cause i cannot sleep. have been off cymbalta only about a week(i lost track)and the dizziness started 4 days ago. thought I had a sinus infection or something. I am in total shock over all of this info-I was never told any side effects and blame myself for not checking into it-just blindly took the meds. Nor was I told how bad it would be to stop taking it. i really think my doc. did not know. I have known him for 35 years and I think he would have warned me (I hope)I'm gonna try some of the supplements others have talked about and try to tough it out. Hope it does not ruin Christmas for my family.

#5 dread29

dread29

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:12 PM

I have also stopped taking my script it has been 10 days and I feel like I'm losing my mind. It was not on purpose I just ran out and there has been an issue with my refil. I felt sick, dizzy, wierd eye movenments, nausea and now like I can't stop the constant hum of crap in my head. I was hoestly thinking that the dr. diagnosed me incorrectly and I'm schizophrenic. I haven't read any other people having the "I think I'm losing my mind" feeling but I also haven't read every post either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users