• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iolanthe16

iolanthe16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:51 PM

I am one of the unlucky folks who gained weight on this awful drug.

I've been doing 2-3 spin classes each week, 2 interval weight training sessions and yoga at least once. Not to mention walking and the occasional pilates session.

Went from 185-190lbs (which for me and my frame, is "normal", I've always been on the heavier side, but super healthy) - to 229!!! OUCH! And I managed to do this in 16 short months. YAY ME!

Looking for comments on weight loss/gain/issues after Cymbalta. I need to get back to "normal". I have a marathon in May, not to mention I am heading up a fitness initiative from Jan - May at my work in prep for the marathon. I don't think they'd take a fatty too seriously (yes, I am self-depricating and am very hard on myself about this issue).

What have you noticed about your weight once the drug was out of your system? Was it harder to lose, easier, the same than when you were on it? Did things go back to normal?

I am doing some naturopathic approaches and my acupuncturist has assured me that she can help. The great news is her treatments are helping tremendously with the withdrawal. It's not as bad as I thought it would be (for now that is, I am currently in my last phase of weaning, my last pill goes in my on Dec 16). Then off work till Jan 3 - yay vacation!

Thanks for your feedback....looking forward to reading your stories.

#2 iolanthe16

iolanthe16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:29 AM

It's now day 5 post Cymbalta. The good news is today is the first day that I've had energy since last week. The brain zaps/wooshes are non-stop, but I've learned to accept them. In fact, it makes life kind of interesting trying to function with this constant game of "Operation" happening in my body (that's how I've been describing it to ppl - it feels like people are playing game of "Operation" inside of me).

The bad news is I stepped on the scale this morning, just to see. Somehow, since my last post on Dec 14 I managed to gain 6 lbs....up to 234. How'd that happen!?! I don't know if I want to laugh or cry. It's agonizing for me to be in this situation, and the guilt of "what did I do wrong" throughout this whole ordeal. I know it's the meds, but I keep wondering if I ate differently or if I exercised more, would I have put on so much weight?

I have to get through Christmas without beating myself up too bad. Then in January, I can reconnect with myself - get back to the gym in a regular manner and resume a rigid eating regime, until this weight comes off and my body and brain gets back to "normal".

Otherwise, mood seems to be decent, digestion good, no sex drive - but I have a very understanding and accepting husband who gets what I am going through. Let's hope that comes back sooner than later!!

Going to try to do some yoga this morning to see how that makes me feel.

Until next time....

cb

#3 Marie57

Marie57

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

Sorry to here about the weight gain, I too have gained weight. It has taken me 4 months to ween off of this dreedful drug, and I am still having symptoms. I have been completely off for 2 weeks now, I just want it all to go away. We should have been told of the effects of going off as well as starting the drug.

#4 Marcia

Marcia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:36 AM

New to website and posting. I also gained lots of weight since being on cymbalta. I hope to wean of the drug soon. I am aware there are issues with withdrawal and am a bit apprehensive but nonetheless I want to go forward. It is nice there is support with this website. I have had brain zaps for most of my life even pre cymbalta (whats that all about and what causes them?) Good luck with your quest to get off this damn drug!

#5 iolanthe16

iolanthe16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

Following up to my initial post....

2 weeks post last pill. And I feel amazing. Occasional brain zap still but nothing at all compared to the 5 days immediately following my last pill. During those 5 days I had no energy at all, no motivation, was emotional, brain zaps by the second, no desire to really move off the sofa. Then a few days of feeling blah. Then I woke up with energy to burn one day. Clear thinking. Empathy is something else I am feeling. That was masked my the drug I guess. And simply able to FEEL again. That's neat.

Something occurred to me.....my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant and my periods are messed up, haven't really had one since weaning off the drug....wondering if this weight gain + Aunt Flo madness = preggers? Lots of negative home pregnancy tests though, so I am deducing that it's most likely related to coming off Cymbalta. All the change going on in my body may have affected my cycle? But who knows.

Anyone else have messed up periods coming off this drug I wonder?

cb

#6 itsnotinyourhead

itsnotinyourhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • why_joining:
    scared I am losing it!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

Following up to my initial post....

2 weeks post last pill. And I feel amazing. Occasional brain zap still but nothing at all compared to the 5 days immediately following my last pill. During those 5 days I had no energy at all, no motivation, was emotional, brain zaps by the second, no desire to really move off the sofa. Then a few days of feeling blah. Then I woke up with energy to burn one day. Clear thinking. Empathy is something else I am feeling. That was masked my the drug I guess. And simply able to FEEL again. That's neat.

Something occurred to me.....my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant and my periods are messed up, haven't really had one since weaning off the drug....wondering if this weight gain + Aunt Flo madness = preggers? Lots of negative home pregnancy tests though, so I am deducing that it's most likely related to coming off Cymbalta. All the change going on in my body may have affected my cycle? But who knows.

Anyone else have messed up periods coming off this drug I wonder?

cb

Yes, I have a longer cycle normally but coming off this drug did tend to lengthen them rather than regulate. I would avoid pregnancy for a few months just to be on the safe side. Theres no telling how it could affect a healthy pregnancy. I always see those commercials for an attorney if you had a baby with birth defects after taking Zoloft or paxil... I was terrified of getting pregnant on this med. and extremely careful while on it. I had no sex drive while on it and couldnt have orgasms no matter how hard I tried! Thankfully that is normal now, and have multiple orgasms again! I did notice that my PMS symptoms on cymb. were horrendous! It was so insane that I had to get off before I hurt myself or someone else! My sweet husband had to bear the brunt of this madness but he knows me well and observed the severe changes in my moods were anything but normal. I took a pg test a few days ago came out negative thank GOD! Going on day 39 of this cycle! But the pms symptoms are not as bad now that I got off the drug. Just been eating bad so that probably explains the few pounds I put on this past month or so. Maybe its water retention cuz I am bloated! Been off since Turkey day, Thanksgiving Day I quit 30mg cold turkey. I have to say I am feeling more normal now. It wasnt easy but worth it! Good luck, it sounds like u are doing well. One day at a time! It will improve every day.

#7 itsnotinyourhead

itsnotinyourhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • why_joining:
    scared I am losing it!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

Sorry to here about the weight gain, I too have gained weight. It has taken me 4 months to ween off of this dreedful drug, and I am still having symptoms. I have been completely off for 2 weeks now, I just want it all to go away. We should have been told of the effects of going off as well as starting the drug.

You should be getting past the worst of it now. I quit Thanksgiving and by Christmas I am doing much better. Hang in there it gets better! One day at a time...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users