Photo

New Here...14 Years On Antidepressants..weaning...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SparklyCupcake

SparklyCupcake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

Hello,

I have been on some form of antidepressant for 14 years (since age 14), for bad OCD and depression. My OCD is practically nonexistent these days, those the depression lingers Around age 17 (and ever since) I began to develp a problem with sleep. I never woke up refreshed, even if I slept for twelve hours! Sleep studies showed that my REM sleep was suppressed and my sleep architecture was bad. Even on an Ambien I had over 150 awakenings/arousals show up during the sleep study! I have had every medical test you can think of and tried every diet and supplement. NOTHING works. They have chalked it up to "insomnia". I also have adrenal fatigue which has caused a ton of symptoms--low blood pressure, low body temp, low blood sugar, hypothyroidism, aches/pains, fatigue...and on and on. I honestly haven't felt well in 10 years. Not in college. Not on my honeymoon. Not once since age 16.

Based on my research all of this can happen to someone who has been on an AD for so many years. So I want off. My Dr. of course wants me to stay on. I have to try and see how life is without AD's. I am out of work so much I can barely hold a job. I am never well.

My most recent AD is Cymbalta. I was on for awhile, then onto something else, now back on at 120 mg for a year. I decided to try weaning. I've done it in the past and never made it--terrible brain zaps. So today I dropped from 120 to 60 after reading that usually this doesn't cause too many side effects. After 3-4 weeks on the 60's, I plan to start counting granules like many are doing on here. I'm not sure I really understand it though. My plan was to mix the granules in with applesauce and just eat less and less of it over the course of several months. Does this work?

I don't feel great too (but thats nothing new) but no brain zaps. Just achy/tired, a little spacy. But I know it will get worse if I try to drop too fast. I'd really like to find a way to go 60-55-50-45, etc, making the 5 mg drop every 7 days. If anyone can explain this to me in dummy proof detail I'd appreciate it lol. I just want to get it right.

I truly believe AD's have ruined my physical health. Like, destroyed it. I have been miserable for 10 years. I think the Dr's should have recommended weaning me ages ago. If my OCD comes back with a vengeance, then I'm willing to reevaluate. But I have to see what life is like for me drug free.

Thanks for listening and any tips on breaking up the capsules super sloooooooooooooooooow would be great!

Julie

#2 jmkabeary

jmkabeary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

I have been on AD for the same amount of time as you have. I have cut down from 60 mg to 30 mg. The only thing I can recommend is cutting it down in half, it is easier to figure it out and you will have the same withdrawals no matter if it is reduced by 5mg or 30mg. It just sucks all around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users