Photo

Cold Turkey Or Prozac?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Poll: Tapering off alone or use prozac (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Which worked best in withdrawing from Cymbalta?

1. Tapering off over time using titration and then stopping (1 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Tapering to lowest dosage and the stopping (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Adding Prozac to the tapering off regime and then have a plan for withdrawing from prozac (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Juliei

Juliei

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:57 PM

I would really appreciate hearing whether you all think its worthwhile trying the prozac route or better just trying to survive through stopping the cymbalta without anything else?

I started tapering down from 90mg 6 weeks ago. After a number of years on Cymbalta I felt that it was no longer helping and asked my pdoc whether I could try something else. She very casually said a week on 60mg, a week on 30mg and then stop before starting the new med (Valdoxan - which works on melatonin receptors and apparently has fewer side effects than an NSRI or SSRI). Since I know what the brain zaps are like just being a few hours late taking the Cymbalta I thought I'd take my time and wait until the year end break from work to do it. This plan hasn't been very successful. I anticipated the brain zaps but thought they would wear off a little as the new meds kicked in. No luck there and I don't trust myself driving to the store. But the anger and tearfulness are something else entirely - today, once again, I have lost my temper at just about everyone around me and have cried since.

Reading this site is keeping me sane at the moment (thank you everyone!!) ... but I am only on day 8! I don't know whether I can manage to go back to work next week and am looking at the Cymbalta wondering whether I should just start on the 30mgs, stop the Valdoxan and call the doc next week to ask about the prozac route. I hate the thought of going backwards with this though and would it just mean starting the whole process from scratch in a few weeks?

It would be great to hear opinions on this?

PS. Thanks once again everyone! I knew about the brain zaps but only reading this site has let me know that the unsuccessful courses of antibiotics, ulcer treatments etc I have gone through in the past month for my stomach were all related to the Cymbalta dosage changing.

PPS. Right now I must admit to some serious anger at my doc - how on earth can they dish out medication that does this to people?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users