• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Marcia

Marcia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

Just wondering if anyone else has had dental issues related to the side effect of dry mouth? Here I am after 4+ years on cymbalta and I am losing my back teeth. 2 extracted, 4 crowns...root canals on the two eventually extracted. Can I say $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
I never had dry mouth until being on cymbalta. Not only that but I find my self clamping my jaw tightly and must be grinding my teeth at night because I wake up with jaw pain. The list goes on about whats wrong with cymbalta. I know it is stupid but I purposely refuse to capitalize the c in cymbalta because it does not earn the respect of being a proper noun. So there, eli lily. :angry: (being silly)

#2 Jenni

Jenni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:44 AM

Yes, dental problems do occur with long term use of meds which give you dry mouth - your saliva helps create a healthy environment. Of course, untreated depression is also a cause of dental problems as we neglect ourselves when we are low. I also find problems with muscle tension in my jaw. My sister has been on some heavy duty MAOIs (never remember which way round the letter go but I am sure you know what I mean) for about 20 years and her teeth are a mess.
I know it is more $$ in the short term, but it might be worth talking to your dentist about getting a mouth guard to stop your teeth actually hitting each other in the night. I had one and it really worked - it seemed to work more by breaking the unconscious habit. I would generally find I had taken it out at some point in the night but the teeth clenching/grinding stopped so it did its job after a month or so. Cheaper than losing teeth and only your bedmate has to see it:-)

#3 Marcia

Marcia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:14 AM

Thanks so much for your response... I am glad to hear the mouth guard helps as that is another expense. I have always taken care of my teeth depressed or not so when I went on the cymbalta (esp inc to 90mg) and my mouth was so dry my throat felt like it was closing up during the night, it made me think my dental issues were related. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users