• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sardonic_math

sardonic_math

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:02 PM

Sorry if this is redundant. I can barely think or type right now, so also forgive any incomprehensibility.

I've been on cymbalta for about a year. started at 30, jacked up to 60, doc tried to jack me up again to 90, but by that point I was feeling suspicious of the drug, so i just kept taking 60. Gained about 25 lbs, heaviest i've been since 95. just broke up with a great girl and feel nothing about it. Conflicted, because I believe the cymbalta (or the talk therapy, or both) genuinely helped for a while, but is now hurting me. I am a career artist and professor, and despite an intense schedule of upcoming shows, I can't get myself to work--an entirely new problem. can't get myself to do anything actually. and one i haven't read form others yet, which is that I have a really hard time getting myself to lay down to go to sleep? i pull all nighters several times a week, for no reason. i'll just go ride my bike all night, or walk around, or look at the computer, even when i have somewhere to be in the morning.

i could go on and on. the main problem is, I've asked my doctor to take me off the drug, and she says she thinks it's not a good idea. I told her about my general lethargy and apathy, and she told me I was blaming my problems on the drug. at this point, i've forgotten to take it for a few days (as i have a habit of doing), and am already deep in withdrawal: total nausea, brain zaps, back pain, general physical discomfort, extreme dizziness. I think i'm going cold turkey. I don't want to see that doc anymore, and all i have are 60's. i'm already in it, i'm going for it. any advice, any help greatly appreciated.

#2 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

I had periods of time where I was up for 20-24 hours, then I would go through a period of sleeping for that same time frame.

I also became very apethetic, totally unmotivated to do anything at all. Showering or cleaning the house became a struggle, and at one point I hadn't left my home in 8 weeks. That was my "aha" moment that this drug was killing my spirit.

If you can find another doc to help you, that would be your best line of attack. Weaning slowly is your very best route. You only have 60s, so if another doc will help you with lower dosages, that will help. If not, most health food stores sell empty gel caps, and you can make your own lowered dosages. You can determine how much you want to lower it. I jumped from 90 to zero in a week, and had to go back on it due to a huge meltdown, but I only started again with the 30s, if that helps you. I still was feeling withdrawals, but it settled down a bit. I then just began emptying out a small amount, would stay there for a day or 2, then lower it again, until I got to zero.

By no means was this withdrawal free. The emotional swings were almost frantic, and it was hard because like you, I had basically felt nothing while taking it. Beginning to feel again was strange, and initially the moods were really high, or really low. I started taking a good Omega 3 supplement, and started to eat better than I had been, and than also helped. Slowly, things began to just level out, and I had a day that I literally felt the fog lift. I still struggled with sleeping, in fact, I still do, but that could at this point be age related for me.

Everyone will react differently to the withdrawals as far as the extremes of these feelings. Some people here have had great luck using Celexa or Prozac to help them wean off of this, as those 2 are much easier to come off of than Cymbalta, due to their longer half life in your system.

Check out the other posts for what worked for others here, read the nutrional section and you will find lots of ideas on what may help you. Staying calm, not being overstimulated also is a key to easing the symptoms.

You can do this successfully, and this is a great group of supportive people who will be here to help you. Ask questions, read posts, and above all else, know that what you are feeling is real, it isn't you, it is the effects of a powerful psychotropic medicine.

Take care, and post away!

Babby

#3 CathyH

CathyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:46 AM

Hi Sardonic_math........It took me months to go from 60mg daily, to 30mg daily, to 30mg every other day. I had withdrawal symptoms the whole way: Brain zaps, mood swings, aggression, had one major mental meltdown that lasted about four days. That happened about a week into the withdrawals. I've also experienced lethargy, and mostly just like flu-like symptoms (head-achy, body aches, vision problems, balance problems, GI problems.)

I'm at day 18 now, and am still experiencing some withdrawals. But it is better already. I'm feeling life again (sometimes hard to get used to), and I'm doing some things i haven't been able to do in years.

I didn't do the prozac, either, as my psych doc wouldn't prescribe any. But I've been able to do it without it.

Don't know if this helps. There are people on this site that care very much, and can help you on your way.

Best wishes,
CathyH

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users