• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Risenbeauty

Risenbeauty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

Had to reduce Cymbalta from 120-0 in a period of 9 days. Today is day 4 completely off and I definitely hit a wall.

I contacted my doctor and was prescribed Prozac (20mg) to help deal with the withdrawals. I feel a bit defeated, as a prescription of an SSRI to get off an SNRI seems like giving a meth addict some coke to help deal with withdrawals... But I can honestly say this has been the worst experience of my life, and I haven't exactly had the easiest time otherwise.

I will keep you guys updated and let you know how it goes. My doctor said that the withdrawals should end within a couple of days-- somehow I don't believe that. We will see.

#2 doriso

doriso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

Try doing some hard cardio workouts if you're able--enough to work up a sweat and get you breathing hard. It has done wonders for me. It could be as simple as taking a very brisk walk for 30 minutes or so or using a treadmill or bicycle.

#3 Risenbeauty

Risenbeauty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

I will try that as soon as the head spins stop; I have a hard time walking right now for elongated periods of time, but I will definitely try that as soon as I'm able.

I still think Nurse1963 described what this feels like perfectly (in another post):
"I feel like I am about 10 weeks pregnant, very hungover but drunk, coming down with the flu, premenstrual with a brain tumor."

#4 Risenbeauty

Risenbeauty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

Wanted to check in and update. My doctor told me to take the Prozac last night and again this morning, and from here on out continue just every morning.

So far, my "head" symptoms (rage, zaps, confusion, dizziness etc) seem to be dramatically decreasing. On the other hand, I have become much more aware of the physical symptoms (they have not changed- I'm just now more aware of them because I'm out of the zombie state) and the nausea/peeing out my ass etc is rather bothersome.

So overall, I must say it's helping. In the withdrawal cycle, I was under some crazy impression that day 1 would be the worst when in fact, as bad as it was, it was the best.

It feels like day 1 again, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, interesting fact I learned: apparently the fact that Cymbalta has such a short half-life is bad. I thought it was good, because my thinking was that hey, it'll be out of my body really quick and it'll be over. The reason we're suffering so much is because of how fast it exists, the body goes into shock. With other SSRIs with longer half lives, the process is avoided because though the dosage may be reduced, the drug still hangs out in the body longer and prevents the shock. Cymbalta must have other properties they have not yet fully discovered/revealed, as it's a very new drug (2004) and even with tapering off bead by bead, withdrawal is experienced by a lot of people... Anyway, I just wanted to share that.

#5 Risenbeauty

Risenbeauty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

*exits, not exists :P

#6 Risenbeauty

Risenbeauty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:25 AM

Checking in again -- for the most part, today has been a HUGE improvement.

I still am struggling with the rage (though I'm able to control it). It's hard to verbalize what I'm feeling when I go into this mode, hard to explain what and why and I find that it's human nature for those who love me to try to understand & ask questions... However, me not able to explain sends me into more of a raging spiral and after I'm calm, they hear explanations & apologies. I have a feeling I am going to need to send a lot of "I'm sorry/thank you/here's a gift certificate to that restaurant you love" cards after this is over.

The good news is, the rage passes. It does not last longer than an hour typically and I found its best to just isolate and punch a pillow rather than trying to internalize, compartamentalize, and then eventually apologize.

Other stuff:

No brain zaps today. ZERO. I can't tell you how happy I am about that.

Nausea still persists though is lessening. Much less dizziness. Less other GI upset.

Thinking process still a little clouded here and there; moments of hypomania that last about 10 minutes.

NO NIGHT TERRORS. I actually SLEPT last night.

My sense of humor is returning. No, really.

I'll keep updating here as the days go on.

((Day 5 off Cymbalta -- official first day of Prozac, 20mg/day with the exception of the first dose))

#7 Risenbeauty

Risenbeauty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

Updating again -- I honestly feel human again. All side effects except occasional nausea and slight headaches, gone. Rage, gone. I actually have patience again... I feel happy for the first time in YEARS.

For those of you who are thinking of trying Prozac for the side effects, try it. Don't suffer for months.

Worst case scenario, it doesn't work.

I'll post more details later.

((Day 8 off Cymbalta, day 4 of Prozac))

#8 BlueFalcon

BlueFalcon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • why_joining:
    Weaning off 30mg Cymbalta after 1 year of treatment for anxiety disorder.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

I feel a bit defeated, as a prescription of an SSRI to get off an SNRI seems like giving a meth addict some coke to help deal with withdrawals...

That is such a good point. So often I hear of people merely getting switched around to different SNRIs to deal with the effects from one, or change the effects from another. Seems kind of pointless, doesn't it? But I guess that's why I'm not a doctor, LOL. I sincerely hope you are continuing to do well and make progress. I just recently started weaning off 30mg of Cymbalta so I am very interested in other people's experiences at this point.

#9 cinderella

cinderella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationpeterborough ontario
  • why_joining:
    i joined this because people need to be aware of the crap this drug puts people thru

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

well its been over three weeks since iv taken cymbalta,been doing pretty good so far was really bad for the first 2 weeks but the sysptoms have subsided greatly,doctor gave me percription for celexa 40mg this past week,havent started taking it yet,was on it for along time before he switched me to this crap for fibermyalgia and depression. i am debating big time wether to start taking the celexa again or not,im feeling pretty good right now except for being bitchy once in awhile.iv been taken fish oil capsules and it seems to help.i also have been taken trazadone at night for sleeping for a long time and i think thats the only reason i didnt get the night terrors.i feel really sad for the people who have been on this shit for years and at a higher dose,i was only on it since september at 60mg,and i found it this hard to get off it cant imagine what they are going thru.reason i quit taking it was because i was having really bad side effects from it,they were almost the same as the withdrawl sysptoms.this shit is really bad and shouldnt be given to animal or human.i wish you all on here good luck and keep the fight up dont give up it does get better.

#10 Dizzyheed

Dizzyheed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

My first check in.....was on 120mg then started to have vision problems so doc took me down to 60mg for a week and then nothing. I'm now on day 3 of nothing and my brain feels like its on springs......just bouncing around inside my head. Can't drive, vision dreadful, unbelievably shattered yet cant sleep, constipated, moody, tearful, hopeless blah blah blah. Please god let this be over soon otherwise my future will be spent slothing around in pyjamas and staying indoors. Ive already been off work for the last 9 months battling this depression, and im only 33!!! I might go back on citalopram as it worked well for me in the past but I refuse to put another med in my body till this one is out. I'm off to drink yet another gallon of water....best of luck to you all!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users