• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BlueFalcon

BlueFalcon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • why_joining:
    Weaning off 30mg Cymbalta after 1 year of treatment for anxiety disorder.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

After a year on Cymbalta, I have gained 30+ lbs. Has anybody else experienced massive weight gain like this? If so, did you lose the weight when you stopped taking Cymbalta? I just started the weaning process and I am hoping to drop these unwanted pounds ASAP.

#2 angelvsdevil

angelvsdevil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

I gained a lot of weight as well and looked more bloated... It was a weird sort of weight gain.

My pdoc still says that cymbalta doesn't make you put on weight (yeah, right!). I have just got off the cymbalta and my appetite is non-existant... But I don't know if this is just because of the withdrawal symptoms or not. I'm really hoping that I will lose weight now I'm off it. :)

#3 BlueFalcon

BlueFalcon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

I gained a lot of weight as well and looked more bloated... It was a weird sort of weight gain.

My pdoc still says that cymbalta doesn't make you put on weight (yeah, right!). I have just got off the cymbalta and my appetite is non-existant... But I don't know if this is just because of the withdrawal symptoms or not. I'm really hoping that I will lose weight now I'm off it. :)

Yeah, my doc said that any weight I gained wasn't from the cymbalta because cymbalta doesn't make you gain weight.... YEAH RIGHT! I didn't just put on 40 pounds by sheer coincidence!! Grr...

Anyway, I really hope you are successful with your weight loss. Send me a private message sometime, let's lose weight together! :D

#4 thistlelips

thistlelips

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:07 AM

I've been on Cymbalta for three years. I put on at least 45 pounds. Some weeks I could put on five pounds. It seems to have stabelized in the last year or so, but I'm in the obese catagory now. That, in itself, doesn't help with the depression. I talke Cymbalta for Fibromyalgia, Arthritis Pain and Depression. The extra weight is making the fibromyalgia dnd the arthritis more painful. I don't know if the weight will come off now that I've stopped taking Cymbalta. I sure hope so because I feel fat, ugly and unattractive.

#5 thistlelips

thistlelips

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:11 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that most of my weight gain occurred on my stomach. I look like I'm 5 or 6 months pregnant. I'm paying a fortune in money because I keep having to buy bigger and bigger clothes. Any one else pack it on around their middle?

#6 BlueFalcon

BlueFalcon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that most of my weight gain occurred on my stomach. I look like I'm 5 or 6 months pregnant. I'm paying a fortune in money because I keep having to buy bigger and bigger clothes. Any one else pack it on around their middle?

Yes, I feel like all of my added weight is in my middle too. :(
I know how you feel. Hang in there and good luck.

#7 irritableme

irritableme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

Yes, I feel like all of my added weight is in my middle too. :(
I know how you feel. Hang in there and good luck.

I gained about 20 lbs. since going on Cymbalta. Since I stopped last month, I don't crave the simple carbs like I used to. Have lost 6 lbs. so far. Good luck.

#8 BlueFalcon

BlueFalcon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

I gained about 20 lbs. since going on Cymbalta. Since I stopped last month, I don't crave the simple carbs like I used to. Have lost 6 lbs. so far. Good luck.

Glad to hear you have already lost a few lbs. That gives me some hope for when I am finally done weaning. Thanks!!

#9 Amber0401

Amber0401

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

I gained 50 lbs on cymbalta and was told by my doctor I will lose weight comming off of it because cymbalta causes weight gain lol. Funny how they write scripts for things they don't even know that much about huh?

#10 Robdog

Robdog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

This is weird. Some of us are experiencing loss of appetite and some of us like me is experiencing a huge appetite. Does anyone have an answer?

#11 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

This is weird. Some of us are experiencing loss of appetite and some of us like me is experiencing a huge appetite. Does anyone have an answer?

I've wondered about that, too. Why would $ymbalta withdrawal cause severe GI distress for some and an in appetite for others?? Maybe those of us who are inclined to have a sensitibe gut experience an upset stomach while those with a strong digestive system experience an increased appetite? I wonder if gender has any influence?

#12 deepbreath

deepbreath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

Yes! I gained about 35 the first time I went on Cymbalta, then another 40 or so after I tried to get off and had to go BACK on. I am currently trying to get off it again, and found I gained an impossible 20 pounds in 2 weeks while trying to get off it. My oldest brother gained 60 pounds on cymbalta. I have never had weight gain on any SSRI like Cymbalta! It sucks...

#13 getthruthis

getthruthis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

My weight gain makes me look pregnant and bloated in my mid section too! Gained about 40 lbs on Cymbalta. Started the weaning process today.

#14 cymbaltavictim1010

cymbaltavictim1010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationLONDON
  • why_joining:
    BECAUSE I WANT THIS DRUG BANNED AND WITHDRAWN AND SOME OFFICIAL REHABILITATION PROGRAMME ESTABLISHED

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:12 AM

After a year on Cymbalta, I have gained 30+ lbs. Has anybody else experienced massive weight gain like this? If so, did you lose the weight when you stopped taking Cymbalta? I just started the weaning process and I am hoping to drop these unwanted pounds ASAP.

Yes. In the five years I was on a staggering 120mg per diem I went from 182 lbs (I am 6'1" and so this is well within the normal, safe weight range for someone of my size) to 238 lbs - in other words, 56 lbs. My daft psychiatrist (who prescribed me Cymbalta in the first place) told me that this was a function of my "feeling better" so enjoying my food and alcohol more - thus consuming more. It is true that my alcohol consumption span out of control (now a recognised common side-effect of duloxetine) but I eat virtually nothing as I am a vegetarian with a minimal appetite and eat only incredibly healthy organic food.

I am very sorry that you have suffered the same way. I have now been off Cymbalta for two months and am very happy to tell you that all the withdrawal symptoms will gradually subside. Just bear with it. My advice on weaning is to break open the capsules, dip your finger in some water and at the first sign of brain zaps, mop up a few granules and eat them. Take as little duloxetine as you can bear to hold off the symptoms. Try to wean yourself off as quickly as possible. When the zaps become tolerable (unbelievably they will) just STOP TAKING ANY CYMBALTA AT ALL.

As far as weight loss is concerned, you will find after about a fortnight, you will have lost ~6 lbs without any effort on your part. What can I say about shedding the rest of the weight (which you will definitely want to because after the feeling of enormous well-being you will experience - a revelation - you will suddenly find that you want to look GOOD again, you will be taking pride in your appearance again)? Just exercise and eat well. Plenty of fish and vegetables and keep your alcohol consumption down and you will lose all of the weight quite naturally.

Cymbalta destroyed my life. I am now successfully rebuilding my life. I hope you can too. If you want any advice please don't hesitate to contact me.

#15 dforand

dforand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

The weight gain has been the hardest thing for me. At first we thought it was from Menopause, which is normal, but after really dicecting the last year and thinking about when the weight gain started it was just about the time I started the Cymbalta. Now like so many others, will I begin to loose this now that I am getting off it? I have been cold turkey for 4 days.
My weight was a lot of belly weight gain. I have never had a belly other than being pregnant and I can tell you that has been the most depressing thing. I would exercise, cruches, nothing was stopping that belly from growing.
Would really like to hear from others that have been able to loose the weight that this evil pill has put on us.

#16 cymbaltavictim1010

cymbaltavictim1010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationLONDON
  • why_joining:
    BECAUSE I WANT THIS DRUG BANNED AND WITHDRAWN AND SOME OFFICIAL REHABILITATION PROGRAMME ESTABLISHED

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:33 AM

Robdog - the only answer is to STOP TAKING CYMBALTA. It is an all-round terrible drug. Then you will find the weight drops away quite naturally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users