• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jdepp73

jdepp73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:59 PM

I just wanted to share what helped me. I am a mom that works full time so of course I had to go through the withdrawal symptoms, like many of you, without being able to stop my daily tasks at work and home and had no where to escape and rest I only wish that were an option. I took the 30 mg cymbalta and I feel for people that were on a higher dosage. Some of my symptoms were: vertigo, muscle cramps all over, unable to think clearly and would sobb at times and wished I could cry at others. I snapped at people and had difficulty at work.
So my husband made an appointment with my doctor because he didn't like what he was seeing. I did go every other day without a pill for 2 weeks and then after 5 days of nothing I was panicking because I couldn't function.
Here is what my doctor gave me as a short term fix for withdrawal: For the dizziness valium, 2mg. Take half a pill twice a day. I was surprised, it doesn't make me drowsy. And best of all the vertigo is gone. Nothing else worked for me. I tried benadryl, motion sickness medicine, lying down, etc.

Also, because you need REM sleep and withdrawal can also make you unable to achieve getting to the REM stage, I was given Ambien 10mg. Seritonine and norepinefren (not sure how to spell that) is only produced when you have REM sleep. I guess that's the stuff your brain produces that keeps you happy and alert. If you are interested seriously talk to your doctor and see if this will work for you. It may not be the solution for everyone but it worked for me.

Oh, In the morning, I take a B-complex vitamin with food and of course I need my coffee. I want to help others in my situation because before this I couldn't even function well enough to ask for help online. I would try to register and log in but it's hard to do when your eyes are full of tears, you can't think straight and the room is spinning.

Take care and hang in there!

#2 Sherry

Sherry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:40 AM

Hello dear. I just read your story and I felt such compassion for you! Your short story about your withdrawals has helped me so much! My fiance is struggling with the problem now and I am watching him slowly change into someone I don't know.

He is MISERABLE! The sleep issue is one of the worst problems for him. He probably doesn't reach the REM stage at all recently. I honestly don't know how he is functioning.

Our doctor doesn't really seem to give a hoot about our problems with Cymbalta. In hindsight, I would NEVER allow Scott to get on this medication! But, he had tried so many of the others and they weren't helping him... so, he filled the prescription and started taking it about 8 months ago.

Scott and I (Sherry) were exposed to 'toxic mold' for about 10 years and became extremely ill. Unfortunately, we didn't know what was making us sick and by the time we figured it out, it was too late. The symptoms are so vague that they sound like many other illnesses.

I wish that I could tell you everything, but it would take forever. The bottom line is that I appreciate the time that you took to share your experience with the Cymbalta! I could hear the frustration in your words and that is the way that poor Scott is feeling, now.

After reading your story, I feel that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and together, he and I CAN get through this. He is taking Xanax, too and the other night he told me that he had to take SIX of them to try to sleep! I don't know the strength, but they are blue in color. I told him that was dangerous and not to do it EVER AGAIN! Now, I can't reach him by phone and I am very worried.

I would like to ask you and anyone else that may read my reply... PLEASE pray for Scott. I will say a prayer each day for all of you that are going through this difficult stage!

Sincerely and Respectfully,
Sherry

#3 jdepp73

jdepp73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for your responses. ...it was very insightful and it gives me hope.

Sherry, As long as Scott has you for support, you will both make it. This will be over soon and better days are around the corner. Anyway I can help, let me know.

It is a nightmare, in sleep and waking moments. It is painful; emotionally, mentally and physically. Cymbalta promises so much and we have all been let down and I feel like an experiment gone bad.
I didn't know that these types of medications prevent you from REM or deep sleep. No wonder we HAVE to keep taking them. So, with cymbalta, it prevents our brain from producing chemicals we need to be happy by depriving us of REM sleep so we can get our artifical happiness from the little make believe happy chemicals in a bottle?
Sounds like logic to me. As the late George Carlin would say, its all BS and its all bad for you.
In Utah, the majority of the people I know are taking some type of anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medicine. There is, in my opinion, a level of perfection that people are trying to live up to or at least appear to live up to.
This is the first time in approx. 10 years I am taking nothing at all. It's like waking up for the first time. I know these types of medications are needed for some. I really did need it myself as I was raised by someone who was manic depressive and was never treated. My dad did the best he could but he was out of control and left all of us with issues to deal with, that will last a lifetime.

Anyways, today, I love life. I don't live in a vanilla state of mind anymore, where I'm not too sad but not to happy either. Cymbalta withdrawal was scarier than @#*@ and made me realize the guineau pig life is not for me anymore. Plus years of a loving relationship has given me the chance to cope without it.
I am not religious but the lords prayer has helped me through this on tougher days. I will also pray for each of you, especially Scott. I hope he finds peace of mind soon. No one should have to go through this alone.

#4 Sherry

Sherry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:53 AM

Thank you so very much for the kind words that REALLY are making me feel that life will be good again... eventually.

I can hardly wait to tell Scott that there is someone out there (Utah?) that cares. He was so mean to me on the phone last night! I know that it is the Cymbalta, but he isn't able to see that he is angry.

I feel so sorry for him and I am doing everything that I can to help him get through this. I am about to try to come off of Wellbutrin, so I may have issues of my own coming up. I hope not.

It's going to be 97 degrees today here in the deep South (Birmingham, Alabama), so I am going to get out and swim for a while. Being in the water is one of my ways of dealing with anxiety.

Thanks, again for writing to me! I will continue to think of you and pray for ALL OF US!

Sincerely,
Sherry

#5 jdepp73

jdepp73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:57 PM

Physically, I am still doing okay, except occasional tiredness. And although I am trying to be patient with myself, others are ready to slap me upside the head. My 8 year old daughter told her grandma, while they were alone, that her "mom was ornery 'cause she isn't taking her happy pills anymore...by choice, dad thinks she's crazy too". My husband, although normally supportive, is getting tired of me ripping his head off and apologizing 5 minutes later, almost daily. I don't blame him and I feel guilty for this. My friends think I am too quiet and that I am not myself anymore. Everyone has to repeat what they are saying because my mind is always off somewhere else. After reading many of your posts, I am not going to just quickly jump to some other medication so I can make others in my life more comfortable being around me. Sounds selfish I know but I really need this. I am going to give it 2 months. If by then, I am still having these "moments", I will look into prozac or something.

I can't afford a counselor with 25% of our money going to medical expenses, not that we have any other medical issues, it's just like the rest of you, our health care system sucks. I am now feeling emotions that I haven't dealt with as I was able to suppress them with medication for years. I am not sure what to do about that. I would appreciate any recommened books, advice, quotes, etc... that help you get through the day.

Sherry - If you read this, Tell Scott "Hi" from Utah! I hope he doing well, enjoying the summer and drinking in the sweet tea! I love your neck of the woods; the people are so nice there.

"Because Nice Matters!" (This was posted on my fridge by someone, so I thought I would share)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users