• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MJoy

MJoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

I'm new to the site. I've been on 60 mg Cymbalta for about 4-5 months. going off of it now. I have been recently diagnosed with ADHD after dealing with years of untreatable depression. I'm 32 and female.
Cymbalta was helping somewhat but not much. I really only remember feeling good for the first 2 weeks on it - so i'm not sure it ever really helped. It made a lot of my ADD symptoms worse and all I wanted to do was sleep all the time.
Started a stimulant medication about a month ago and at first it was helping a lot but then I started getting to where every day I was agitated, anxious, nervous etc. At first I thought it was just the stimulant but the more time went on I started thinking that the cymbalta was the root of the problem.
At my last psych appt it was decided that I would go off of both (cymbalta and focalin XR) and we would re-evaluate. I'm hoping to eventually go back on Wellbutrin (have been on it in the past) along with a low-dose stimulant to manage ADHD symptoms.
My dr told me to go down to 30mg (cymbalta) for 1 week and then go off completely.
I know that this is a fast taper but part of me thinks it will be fine- I don't want to drag this out. I've read a lot of people who have been tapering for months and still dealing with withdrawal symptoms - maybe as bad as going off quickly.
Next week at this time I might be saying something different. I hope not.
So far I've noticed a few brain zaps and got a headache this afternoon that fortunately went away with some excedrin.
I'm supplementing by taking fish oil (omega 3's) and multivitamin as well as B6 complex.
Trying to remember to stay hydrated but its hard for me to remember that.
Will update later as things progress.....

#2 MJoy

MJoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

I've noticed the past couple of days that emotions are coming easier. I'm starting to cry while watching television and also laugh at things that weren't as funny as before.
I'm still on 30mg and have a feeling I'll be in tears a lot more once I go down to 0.

#3 MJoy

MJoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

Update:
I'm currently in Brain ZapVille. I took a small amount of cymbalta (opened up a capsule) yesterday and today nothing.
My appointment is on Monday and I anticipate being given a prescription for possibly wellbutrin as well as an ADHD stimulant. Or possibly just the stimulant.

Emotions are still very strong and i've had a little bit of a struggle controlling them at times. work has been o.k. this week. By the way I have a wonderful boss who offered me the day off on Friday. Of course I took it. :)
And I'll be working from home all next week so I can cry and brain zap in the privacy of my own home. LOL

I'm still preferring the quick taper method (even though I'm in the middle of it) because I'm getting it done quicker. If I was slow tapering I have a feeling I'd be having brain zaps for months.

BTW some of the zaps aren't too bothersome. But every once in awhile there will be one or two that make me have to stop and re-focus. They're crazy!

#4 MJoy

MJoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

I wish I could find something that would help with the brain zaps. That is my biggest complaint at this point. The next worse problem for me is the increase in IBS symptoms. Next is the emotions. OMG. I cry so easily. Its getting a little better the last couple of days but its crazy how much I've cried over small-ish things. Its theraputic though :)

Oh if the brain zaps could just go away, it would make my life so much more pleasant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users