• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

Hi everyone. I've been on anti-depressants for the past two years. I started with Lexapro back in february of 2010 and started cymbalta about june of last year. Well, due to the fact that I have very little money anymore, I had to stop seeing my doctor who had been giving me samples of cymbalta each month. I had heard about St. John's Wort and ordered a few boxes of it, mainly because it was so damn cheap and I had heard good things about it. Last day I took cymbalta was saturday (30 mg x2). I've been having what I believe are withdrawal effects. I have had some of these before when I went a few days without lexapro back in 2010:

1. Strange "pulses" in my head. I have no idea if these are the infamous brain zaps that everyone seems to get. I get pulses in my head, kind of like a heartbeat, but I think an "electric" feeling would describe it better. It is most noticeably at the base of my skull right where my spine connect to my skull. I've also gotten it in a few spots on my back and close to my left shoulder blade, but it seems to be present most in that spot in my head.

2. Emotional sensitivity. I don't know if this was a side effect of taking the St. John's Wort or not (some background: after taking my last dose of cymbalta on saturday, I took nothing on sunday, then on monday and tuesday I took the recommended 3 doses of st. john's wort). I noticed it last night when I suddenly felt really depressed and started crying out of nowhere. The littlest thing would set me off. Again, I don't know if the St. John's Wort caused that, since it didn't happen on monday and it hasn't happened today (yet).

3. Irritability.Happened most notably on monday after two doses of St. John's Wort. I was getting pissed at anything. I wasn't super "HULK MODE" angry or anything, but I was definitely getting pissed way more easily than normal. Didn't really happen at all yesterday, but today I have noticed that my fuse is a bit shorter than usual (though not to the same extent as two days ago.)

4. Trouble sleeping. Happened monday and last night. Those pulses in my head kept me up even though I was super tired. It felt kind of like I was asleep, but at the same time I was awake. Not sure if that makes sense, but it definitely wasn't as restful as usual.

5. Lethargy. Monday and yesterday I felt incredibly drained. Not sure if it was the lack of good sleep or not. Today I have a bit more energy, but I'm still a bit yawny.

6. Haze. I don't know how to really describe this one. It's like my whole body and mind is foggy. It's not super pronounced, but it is noticeable. I feel like the pulses have something to do with it.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read my long post if you did. I just had a few questions. What would be the St. John's Wort equivalent to 60mg of duloxetine? Would the regular 3 dose a day be sufficient? I'm going to stay off it for a few days to make sure that it wasn't exacerbating these effects, but if it wasn't, I'd like to use it to help. Also, what's the average time that this withdrawal takes? My symptoms aren't as bad as some I've read about (Thank God), but I'd like to know how long I should expect to feel this way. Thanks again!

#2 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Well, nevermind. I'm definitely feeling angry again. Also, I feel emotionally unstable. Like, I'm normal, but I feel as though the littlest thing might set me off. I don't know. Three days in and I feel like I'm at the end of the rope. Is there any generic duloxetine out there that runs for cheaper than regular cymbalta and actually works?

#3 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

I recognize all those symptoms. Last dose 3/17. Finally started rehumanizing a few days ago. Good day/bad day alternations for me.
Can you go online and look up some herbal remedies for calming and balance? You may be able to pick up a combo of some sort. Passaflora, Gotu kola, Lemon balm, Valerian, etc may help. I think you are wise to skip the St. John's wort and see what happens.
The rages were horrible! I've cussed my cat, my goats, my hens, my husband, my radio, my computer, etc. Shameful.
This site has been so helpful to me. $ymbalta 'discontinuation syndrome' is painful and disturbling. But so many people have survived it. Don't let Eli Lilly win. Ride out the storm. Please keep us posted.

#4 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

I recognize all those symptoms. Last dose 3/17. Finally started rehumanizing a few days ago. Good day/bad day alternations for me.
Can you go online and look up some herbal remedies for calming and balance? You may be able to pick up a combo of some sort. Passaflora, Gotu kola, Lemon balm, Valerian, etc may help. I think you are wise to skip the St. John's wort and see what happens.
The rages were horrible! I've cussed my cat, my goats, my hens, my husband, my radio, my computer, etc. Shameful.
This site has been so helpful to me. $ymbalta 'discontinuation syndrome' is painful and disturbling. But so many people have survived it. Don't let Eli Lilly win. Ride out the storm. Please keep us posted.

Thank you very much for the response. This is just really trying. I never really had any side effects on the cymbalta aside from some occasional diarrhea, so going through this is a real eye opener. Honestly it feels like my brain is starved for that crap. I told a family member about it and just the suggestion that I should maybe go back to the doctor to get more of the stuff gave me a wave of euphoria. What the hell is wrong with me?

#5 aprilrose94

aprilrose94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    need advice from anyone in the same situation

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

oh man that sounds tough. im only after starting cymbalta and am thinking i should wean myself off before i get any more used to it but i feel like i have to try. maybe you should stick to the herbal remedys because at least theyre more natural than all those engineered chemicals..im having the same side effects as you..and i know its hard to feel out of control of yourself but at least u know its because of the medicine and not just random. it will get better. its so tough but you have to hang in there x

#6 melly

melly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

I am on Cymbalta for my fibro pain. I am slowly tapering off as it has led to side effects that I can no longer tolerate. It worked great for the first year but then not so well. In my opinion the withdrawl effects outway the usefullness of the drug. If I had known this would happen I would never have taken the drug. I hope they take this drug off of the market.

#7 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for the responses. Just got up a little while ago and I have some other things to note about my side effects:

1. The pulses might be the brain zaps. As I was trying to get to sleep last night, they intensified a lot. It wasn't painful or anything, but more like a random, periodic booming in my head that was keeping me awake. It did stop after a while and I got to sleep eventually, but it was just extremely annoying.

2. The emotional side effects aren't present when I wake up, but increase and get stronger throughout the day. Anger doesn't seem to sprout until the afternoon or so, and the emotional sensitivity/crying doesn't come until later at night like around 6-7 PM. Honestly, the emotional symptoms are the absolute worst. If those weren't there, I think I'd be able to take the rest of the withdrawal easily. I'm absolutely dreading the night now.

3. I slept a whole lot last night. Went to bed around 11PM and I woke up at around 10:40AM. Might be a result of not sleeping well the other two nights, but last night I seemed to get a good rest.

I'm contemplating getting some help from family to cover my doctor for a while and tapering off of this slowly rather than cold turkey as I'm doing now. I had no idea it'd be this bad.

#8 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for the responses. Just got up a little while ago and I have some other things to note about my side effects:

1. The pulses might be the brain zaps. As I was trying to get to sleep last night, they intensified a lot. It wasn't painful or anything, but more like a random, periodic booming in my head that was keeping me awake. It did stop after a while and I got to sleep eventually, but it was just extremely annoying.

2. The emotional side effects aren't present when I wake up, but increase and get stronger throughout the day. Anger doesn't seem to sprout until the afternoon or so, and the emotional sensitivity/crying doesn't come until later at night like around 6-7 PM. Honestly, the emotional symptoms are the absolute worst. If those weren't there, I think I'd be able to take the rest of the withdrawal easily. I'm absolutely dreading the night now.

3. I slept a whole lot last night. Went to bed around 11PM and I woke up at around 10:40AM. Might be a result of not sleeping well the other two nights, but last night I seemed to get a good rest.

I'm contemplating getting some help from family to cover my doctor for a while and tapering off of this slowly rather than cold turkey as I'm doing now. I had no idea it'd be this bad.

Tapering off is a good idea. So is SLEEP. :)

#9 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Well, I made an appointment to see my doctor again, but it's for next friday. I'll be updating this thread if anything worsens or gets better. I'm expecting the week from hell. :mellow:

#10 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Well, I made an appointment to see my doctor again, but it's for next friday. I'll be updating this thread if anything worsens or gets better. I'm expecting the week from hell. :mellow:

You may want to google MAGNESIUM DEFFICIENCY. I've been doing research this evening and low magnesium may have been my problem all my life. Perhaps some chelated magnesium supplements would help. I'm going to get some asap.
This link was particularly informative:
http://www.angstrom-...-magnesium.html

#11 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

You may want to google MAGNESIUM DEFFICIENCY. I've been doing research this evening and low magnesium may have been my problem all my life. Perhaps some chelated magnesium supplements would help. I'm going to get some asap.
This link was particularly informative:
http://www.angstrom-...-magnesium.html

Please keep us updated on that. I've been reading about it as well and it seems very curious that magnesium isn't used to treat depression more, from what I've read.

#12 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

Just an update on today. Pulses are still there, and that foggy feeling still remains, although it seems to be slightly lessened. Definitely more irritable than usual once again, but that whole "hanging on an emotional precipice" thing didn't really happen last night and has yet to happen today. Doctor's appointment is next friday, but if things start to get better and I lose the emotional side effects completely, I'll keep on going cold turkey. Considering adding a magnesium supplement, since after reading happyzapynot's posts and doing some research, it seems like I'm not getting enough magnesium daily and it could help.

#13 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

Update: Pulses still there, but I didn't notice them as much today. Still irritable and pretty easy to anger/annoy. I've felt like my emotions might crash at a few points, but I was able to manage it by focusing on other things and not thinking so much (still sucks though). Other than that, I've noticed that my appetite has gone up a bit.

#14 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Update: Pulses still there, but I didn't notice them as much today. Still irritable and pretty easy to anger/annoy. I've felt like my emotions might crash at a few points, but I was able to manage it by focusing on other things and not thinking so much (still sucks though). Other than that, I've noticed that my appetite has gone up a bit.

"Able to manage" are wonderful words, aren't they? My last 30 mg cap was 3/17 and I still get zaps. Not as strong, though. Caffeine definitely increases them. Exercise seems to bring them on, too.
Imporvement in appetite is probably a sign that your brain is beginning to normalize.
This afternoon, for the first time in a LONG time, I actually felt like 'myself'!
There IS light at the end of the tunner. B)

#15 TXcounselor

TXcounselor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    On Cymbalta for about a year for peripheral neuropathy. Withdrawal from the drug has been hellish and life-changing. Need support and want to support others.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

Glad you're feeling more like yourself! It seems like about a month is "average" for feeling better and maybe 6 weeks for feeling normal. I'm doing the slow wean, which has been much better, but tonight my husband irritated me so much that after a few warnings to settle down, I threw a bread stick at him. I don't even regret it. I just can't tolerate too much noise/teasing/antagonizing. I feel like keeping bread missiles in my purse to throw at people when they don't heed my warnings! I joke because I don't know how else to get through this...but it did feel good to throw something. Perhaps I should make an Eli Lilly target board for darts. Perhaps darts are a bad idea for a dizzy person with the shakes and Hulk-like rages. I'll stick to bread.

#16 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

"Able to manage" are wonderful words, aren't they? My last 30 mg cap was 3/17 and I still get zaps. Not as strong, though. Caffeine definitely increases them. Exercise seems to bring them on, too.
Imporvement in appetite is probably a sign that your brain is beginning to normalize.
This afternoon, for the first time in a LONG time, I actually felt like 'myself'!
There IS light at the end of the tunner. B)

Well, I'm still unsure if I'm out of the woods yet. I was on 60mg daily for around 9 months, and I was on lexapro for a year and a half before that. I felt quite hazy today, and last night I slept for around 11 hours. Pulses are barely there, but I feel as though my emotions are still changing too easily. Hopefully there is a light at the end. Thanks. :)

#17 tomitsu

tomitsu

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

I totally feel your pain. I sm going through withdrawals as well:

These are a few things that are helping me,

1. L-Tyrosine - I take cognitive aminos and they have L-Tyrosine. Helps with my lethargy and depression also helps with stress.
2. Fish Oil or Omega 3
3. Vitamin D3

I am also battling this but will win!!

#18 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

I totally feel your pain. I sm going through withdrawals as well:

These are a few things that are helping me,

1. L-Tyrosine - I take cognitive aminos and they have L-Tyrosine. Helps with my lethargy and depression also helps with stress.
2. Fish Oil or Omega 3
3. Vitamin D3

I am also battling this but will win!!

Thanks for the response. I'm actually considering taking a magnesium supplement, because after reading a few of hapyzapynot's posts and researching it, I seem to only be getting 20% of my daily dose.

Another update: Last night I couldn't get to sleep until about 3:30. Might've just been the heat, but I woke up just fine at about 9:30. Also, I think I have a way to describe the emotional sensitivity. It feels kind of like walking on a tightrope. I'm usually fine, but if I start to sway too much one way, I feel like I'll just lose it and crash. It's the worst for feeling sad and depressed, but I find it's also easier to laugh and be happy about little things (as well as get angry at little things).

#19 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Well, I'm definitely going back on cymbalta. The emotional side effects are just too great. I've been feeling them a lot today after some stuff happened at home. I can't function like this.

#20 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

Well, I'm definitely going back on cymbalta. The emotional side effects are just too great. I've been feeling them a lot today after some stuff happened at home. I can't function like this.

You know what is best for you. I sincerely hope things get better ASAP.

#21 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

You know what is best for you. I sincerely hope things get better ASAP.

Thank you. I hope so too.

#22 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

Well, small update. Pulses are pretty much unnoticeable now. Emotional side effects are still raging though. I contacted the FDA to let them know about the withdrawal symptoms I've been feeling.

#23 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Well, small update. Pulses are pretty much unnoticeable now. Emotional side effects are still raging though. I contacted the FDA to let them know about the withdrawal symptoms I've been feeling.

I'm glad to hear the brain pulses have relented. Throughout this ordeal I've noticed that a symptom will come to the forefront for a day or so and then subside, only to be replaced by a differnt symptom hogging the stage.
For the past few days I have been depressed and miserable. I also had a cracked tooth (SSRI/bruxism relationship has been confirmed by the American Dental Association. Not able to find info online re SNRI/bruxism relationship but I have two molars that cracked receintly and it's probably $ymbalta related) which finally abscessed. I suspect my extreme emotional misery was do to the tooth. Not that the abscess has drained I feel so much better. Could there be a physical problem underlying the emotional distress? Just a thought, but it may be worth pursuing.
I hope tomorrow will be better for you! :) Thanks for the update. Every bit of info we put on this site will help someone else.

#24 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

Update. Been back on Cymbalta since friday. First thing I noticed is that the emotional sensitivity/hopeless feeling is still there, but the edge is taken off, so I'm thinking that might have just been my depression rather than a side effect of the medicine. The rage was definitely a withdrawal symptom though. I also have been feeling a strange squeezing feeling in my brain towards the back and to the left. Not painful at all, just odd. All other symptoms are gone. My bowels feel a bit messy though.

#25 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

Update: I'm afraid that maybe Cymbalta has lost its potency in helping me deal with my depression. After being off of it for 12 days and starting again, it seems to not work so well anymore. I'm hoping that it's just that my brain was starting to get used to the lack of Cymbalta and is now just readjusting, considering how most of these drugs state that they need a few weeks to start showing a difference.

#26 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Update: I'm afraid that maybe Cymbalta has lost its potency in helping me deal with my depression. After being off of it for 12 days and starting again, it seems to not work so well anymore. I'm hoping that it's just that my brain was starting to get used to the lack of Cymbalta and is now just readjusting, considering how most of these drugs state that they need a few weeks to start showing a difference.

It stopped working for me after a few months and thew me into mania and depression simultaneously. Why I kept taking it I don't know. I swear that it is mind control substance.
I wish you the best. Maybe you could get some insight by googling depression is not a disease.
Hang on. Things will get better for you. It just takes time. And time, as we well know, is not a fun thing when you are depressed/anxious.

#27 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

It stopped working for me after a few months and thew me into mania and depression simultaneously. Why I kept taking it I don't know. I swear that it is mind control substance.
I wish you the best. Maybe you could get some insight by googling depression is not a disease.
Hang on. Things will get better for you. It just takes time. And time, as we well know, is not a fun thing when you are depressed/anxious.

Thank you. I'm waiting until things normalize before I try to start tapering off. Hopefully it starts getting better in a few weeks. It's working a little, but I still get these waves of depression every day at random times.

#28 GrandPulse

GrandPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

Update: I'm normal again, kind of. I seem to have normalized, except I've been having a lot of gastrointestinal trouble. If I don't take any food with my dose, after an hour or two, it'll feel like there's acid eating a hole into my stomach. Some diarrhea here and there, but nothing too extreme. I'm meeting my doctor again in a few weeks. Hopefully I can beat this.

#29 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

Update: I'm normal again, kind of. I seem to have normalized, except I've been having a lot of gastrointestinal trouble. If I don't take any food with my dose, after an hour or two, it'll feel like there's acid eating a hole into my stomach. Some diarrhea here and there, but nothing too extreme. I'm meeting my doctor again in a few weeks. Hopefully I can beat this.

Ain't "normal" extraordinary?! :D
Prilosec OTC helped with my GI problems.
Glad you got through the withdrawal.
Abbott Labs is being slapped with a 1.9 billion dollar suit redarding misuse of Depakote. There's hope for something similar concerning $ymbalta.
Blessings and Peace!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users