• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Maymiee

Maymiee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

I started taking Cymbalta 7 years ago due to irritability and general anxiety. I also have a bit of a phobia being in public around people. Like going to the grocery store, malls etc.

A couple weeks ago I had blood work done in advance of a dr appointment that is next week. My lab results were mailed to me and they indicated a high white blood cell count. After googling causes I stumbled upon serotonin syndrome aka serotonin toxisity ?sp?

From what I read, serotonin syndrome is very dangerous and can be deadly. I really don't have the patience to wait for my appointment next Tuesday. I'd rather just stop taking the Cymbalta asap. In fact I didn't take it this morning.

Now I'm all worked up and worried. Has anyone experienced Serotonin Syndrome? Any recommendations? I did try to call my dr's nurse this morning but never got to talk to her. <_<

#2 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Check out this link for a list of symptoms:
http://www.mayoclini...ECTION=symptoms
The best way to get off $ymbalta is G-R-A-D-U-A-L-L-Y. Check out the advice that URIEL has given here on this forum. Gradual reduction will save you much misery.
However, Ifyou are having the symptoms listed on the Mayo Clinic website then see a doctorimmediately because, as you already know, it's a SERIOUS condition.
Get well soon! :)

#3 Maymiee

Maymiee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:19 AM

Thank you Happy :) The Mayo info was very helpful. I have calmed down a bit. It looks like Serotonin Syndrome is an immediate reaction which is not what I have experienced. I still think I should quit the Cymbalta though. I will talk to my doctor about it on Tuesday.

#4 happyzapynot

happyzapynot

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

Thank you Happy :) The Mayo info was very helpful. I have calmed down a bit. It looks like Serotonin Syndrome is an immediate reaction which is not what I have experienced. I still think I should quit the Cymbalta though. I will talk to my doctor about it on Tuesday.

Good! Since each human being is unique we all know what is best for US. However, your doc may not agree so be sure to arm yourself with printed info on the side effects of $ymbalta. I talked to THREE different psychiatrists after I was locked up on temporary detention order (Virginia law)after my $ymbalta induced suicide attempt and NOT ONE of the three even bothered to consider that $ymbalta was influencing my behavior. That's how duped they are by Eli Lilly's marketing prowess.
This is the best info I've found so far:
http://www.fda.gov/d...e/UCM172866.pdf
Keep us posted!

#5 TXcounselor

TXcounselor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    On Cymbalta for about a year for peripheral neuropathy. Withdrawal from the drug has been hellish and life-changing. Need support and want to support others.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Wait a minute....my blood tests this week also had high white blood cell count. Also high blood pressure and high pulse rate. They said the cell count is related to the respiratory infection, but now I'm wondering if the respiratory infection is related to the cymbalta ('cuz I finished my z-pack and I still feel like sh*t). I figured my immunity is low and I'm around small kids all the time, but maybe this is all related. He said he thinks there is something else going on, but I don't. I know what this is! It kind of scares me since I'm having some trouble breathing and shaking and the docs deny this could be related to Cymbalta.

I am a VERY VERY lucky person and I'll be at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester in about 10 days. I'm seeing neurology and pain management and will be getting full diagnostics for peripheral neuropathy of unknown origin. I'm praying with all my might that they don't tell me Cymbalta withdrawal doesn't exist like my Local Yokal doctors did. And I'm expecting they'll be doing the fullest workup under the sun, so I'll keep everyone posted on what they say. I'm also timing my final wean to coincide with my visit, so if dropping off from a very low dose is anything as bad as dropping off from 30 mg, I'll be in the hospital/clinic anyway. I have waited four years for this! Please pray that I get some answers!

Happyzapynot, thanks for posting your links. The FDA site link above didn't work for me...it says the page was moved or no longer exists. What is it about? Is there another link to it? THANK YOU!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users