3 replies to this topic

#1 Momoftwo

Momoftwo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:28 AM

I have a question for those who have used prozac to help with withdrawals. Did the prozac eliminate symptoms such as the nausea and stomach cramping? Also....prior to Cymbalta, they had me on Lexapro and Zoloft--Both of which did not agree with my system. Does this mean that prozac may not work for me? Having been through this once, I am terrified of what is to come. I am thinking about trying the low dose prozac this time. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kathy

#2 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

Hi Kathy,
I began taking Prozac on Day 4 (today is Day 24). Within 24 hrs, symptoms were a little better. Within 36 hrs, most of my symtpoms were MUCH BETTER. However, some milder nausea and diarrhea stuck around for about a week. I had taken Prozac a few yrs ago without any neg. side effects or withdrawal problems. You mentioned Lexapro, which I have also taken previously without neg. side effects.

In my case, Cymbalta was the first anti-depressant that caused any negative side effects. I did notice some withdrawal symptoms with Effexor, but they weren't anywhere near as severe as Cymbalta. Everyone's body is so different, so it's hard to say whether or not you might have problems with Prozac. Discuss all of your concerns with your doc and see what she/he has to say.

#3 CathyH

CathyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:07 PM

Kathy.......I have heard that prozac can help tremendously with withdrawals. There are many on this site that have done it that way, and have gotten very good results. I am not one of them, as I could not get my doc to prescribe it. I did it without the prozac--just to let you know that it can be done, in case you can't get any. I'm at day 32, and the withdrawal appears to be over.

CathyH

#4 panthergirl

panthergirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

As I understand it, Prozac was the first generation, Celexa is "cleaned up" Prozac (2nd generation) and Lexapro is "cleaned up" Celexa (3rd generation). So all three are basically the same drug with Prozac being the oldest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users