• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Jennib69

Jennib69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

I have decided to attempt a diary of my day to day experiences in hopes of helping someone going through the misery of Cymbalta withdrawal.
My story:
I started Cymbalta a year ago for fibromyalgia. I have also had bouts with depression and anxiety my entire life so I had hopes of the Cymbalta helping with that as well. I have been on every anti-depressant out there starting in 1990 with Prozac. Ive not taken anti-depressants as a constant but rather as an on and off thing whenever a new one came out. I would try it a few months or longer, decide it didn't help or just get to a place where I thought I didn't need them. I never had any real or long lasting problems getting off any of them ( yes even Paxil and Effexor) until the Cymbalta. This has been a mind-blowing event in my life. I will try and accurately describe each phase in a day by day account until I feel no more side effects. I have read for hours on this site trying to find something like this and feel it would be beneficial to all fellow sufferers.
First I need to explain my reasons for stopping the Cymbalta. #1- weight gain and the inability to lose any of it regardless of the amount of dieting or exercise I did. #2- I honestly couldn't tell that the drug was working anymore due to my fibromyalgia pain getting worse and the fact that I had little to no energy and had begun sleeping 14-18 hours per day as well as a kind of disassociation with life in general. Nothing excited me, nothing made me feel....well anything. I need to add that a few months ago I attempted a dose reduction for 1 week. The symptoms which I thought were my body telling me it wasn't enough were too much so I went back to the original 60mg dose.

So DAY #1- I take Cymbalta (60mg) every morning and this morning- I just didn't... 2-3 hours after missed dose I notice I was feeling a bit off balance just like I had felt on the dose reduction I had tried a few months ago. I decided I had better do what I could while I could still do it because I knew what was coming- I cleaned house and washed my hair not knowing when I'd feel up to this again.
As the day progressed I felt more dizzy and the brain zaps started. The best way to describe these for me is to say it feels like someone sets off a small electrical charge in my brain that radiates out through my heart through my ears and to the tips of my fingers. Almost a popping sensation... I had to stop and sit or lie down several times. A bad first day but I knew it would get worse..

Day 2: the first few hours of the day I thought " maybe this won't be as bad as I thought" but by noon I was back in bed dizzy, lethargic, and "zapping" away. I turned the tv on for company until I realized that every thing on it made me cry, even cute little kids. OMG!!! That night when my husband came home and got in bed with me we were talking of inconsequential things and I would start laughing hysterically until I sobbed. I am losing it...

Day 3: all I can say is repeat of day 2 but worse- every symptom is worse. Stayed in bed most of day just zapping, even going to the bathroom was too much.

Day 4: dizzy(very) zapping not quite as bad (I think) add a new symptom- nausea...yuk!!! It's only 11:40 am I have a long day ahead... Been in bed most of it- think I'll probably stay here-

#2 Jennib69

Jennib69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

Will add more as the day progresses. Feel free to post questions/comments as I am just lying in bed with my phone.

#3 Jennib69

Jennib69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

Thought I should add that I am not taking any other meds at this time nor any herbal or OTC drugs. I have read here that most people take something to try to help. I am no doctor and can only go by what I feel but honestly I really do not want to take anything else as I really want to know what the Cymbalta and only the Cymbalta takes to get off. While yes it is sheer hell I just feel like anything else would just add to the mayhem.
I may feel differently in a few weeks if I'm not "all better" but for now NO MORE DRUGS

#4 Jennib69

Jennib69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

End of day 4: well almost... The zaps are definitely better now just need the lethargy and the dizzies to go away. Still crying over nothing but at least I'm feeling.
I am very hopeful this will not take weeks or months like some and I really feel like not being on any other meds is helping

#5 Imasurvivor

Imasurvivor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

OMG! I stopped at 20 cold turkey after decreasing over a 2 year period and the only reason I didn't wean off of 20 is because I was away and lost my newly refilled prescription. I'm on Day 17 and although symptoms are SO MUCH BETTER I still feel achy n exhausted w a constant headache. Zaps n ear buzzing there as day wears on. But the new lightness/happiness feeling makes me push forward! I hope you have read other posts on here coz at 60mg you might want to consider weaning to a lower dose first. My body/joint pains have increased but I'm determined to replace this drug w something more natural n general exercise. My Dr did just give me Omega3, 6 & 9 to take daily and soon I'll be taking a nutritional supplement to repair my body n replace all the depleted nutrients. Hang in there!

#6 Jennib69

Jennib69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

I tried 30mg for a week and felt pretty much the same as I have on none which is why I decided to just stop. My fibro pain is in my neck and shoulders and back and so far so good. Don't know if it's all the time I'm spending in bed or what but pain is not that bad.
I actually got up and cooked dinner and cleaned up afterward and don't feel too too bad.
I'm sure I'll need something more for pain eventually but I'm not doing anything like this again.

#7 Lazydaizy

Lazydaizy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • why_joining:
    I recently weaned off Cymbalta, after using it for 2 years for depression. The depression is gone, but now I'm in the withdrawal horrors

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:09 AM

Hi Jenni,

You're doing really great, and it sounds like you have a supportive husband to help you through. I'm taking all sorts of supplements, but it's my husband that's really pulling me through this.
I'm completely over-emotional too, but maybe this will ease a little and become less raw with time.
Be kind to yourself and keep posting about your progress XXX

#8 Jennib69

Jennib69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

Hi Lazydaizy
Thank you, I think I am doing pretty well. And yes my husband is wonderful!!! Even when he doesn't understand he just supports me with blind faith 💗
Best of luck 😊

#9 Jennib69

Jennib69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

DAY 5: today (so far) is a much better day. Yes I am still dizzy and have an occasional brain zap and still a bit nauseous but I FEEL BETTER THAN I DID YESTERDAY!!
This is all I needed to continue- just getting to the peak and coming down the other side of the mountain.
I'm still resting (a lot) but I have been able to do things in between my "rests" such as clean house and shower- without feeling as if I'm going to pass out on the floor. 😃

#10 Jennib69

Jennib69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

Nausea was bad for first half of day, much better now. Today was really really better than yesterday. I even managed to get all my husband's paperwork done for his company-So my concentration is getting better also. 👍

#11 Jennib69

Jennib69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

Day 6: So I have just about kicked Cymbalta in the butt!!! I am feeling almost normal- still a bit dizzy here and there but not constant- zap now and then but hey!! I am over the hump!!
Like I said, after all the research I did on how this crap works and reading everyone's story here I knew that 100% cold turkey with no "helpers" was the only way for me to go. I'd rather feel like death for a week and get it over with than feel like death for months trying to "wean" and then have to "wean" off all the helper drugs.

VICTORY IS MINE!!!

#12 Lazydaizy

Lazydaizy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • why_joining:
    I recently weaned off Cymbalta, after using it for 2 years for depression. The depression is gone, but now I'm in the withdrawal horrors

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

Wonderful news! XXX

#13 Imasurvivor

Imasurvivor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

Sounds like you're doing great! I'm shocked how tired I still am but I have longer times of feeling good. I still have brain zaps but they too are much better and seem to come more in late afternoon and evening when my body is exhausted. It's Day 20 for me and I'm finally crying less. What a roller coaster ride this has been. Reading everyone's post has helped me stay strong. Good luck to you Jenni it truly sounds like you are out of the woods!

#14 Jennib69

Jennib69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

DAY 10: definitely the best decision I ever made (getting off) I am now feeling much more energetic and normal. I cut the lawn yesterday!! The only really bad side effect I have now is nightmares ugh...

#15 Lazydaizy

Lazydaizy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:24 AM

Jenni 1, Cymbalta 0
XXX

#16 FibroLady

FibroLady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

I am both thrilled & terrified that I found these message boards.

I'm very interested in this thread specifically because I'm also a Cymbalta user (for about 6 years or more) and want to wean off of it. I wasn't sure which to do....quit cold turkey or wean. I work 3 or 4 days a week, and, I can't miss work for this crap, so, your thread has made me realize that I need to do this cold turkey when on 9 days of vacation.

Way to go on coming off of it. I've heard these nightmare stories & it scares the hell out of me to stop using this devil drug.

#17 Ridew

Ridew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

I'd like to know how's OP going thru it (her last post was August 8th)

#18 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

i'm so happy to find this blog..I'm 65 been on cymbalta at least 7-10 years..20-60mgs..I have had a buzzing in my head for so long..could this be from the up and down of med? omgosh, God brought me here. right now i'm on 30mgs and i'm stopping right now. I've thought about it many times..I have absolutely no sex drive, even tho the desire is there..I feel lost to the world...can't seem to reve my energy..I don't feel depressed,except for just being so stuck on how I feel..for crying out loud, why am I so afraid to go off this monster of a drug..we'll see..this is the day i start, because I need a refill and i'm not going to do it and i'm not telling my doctor because she will discourage me from doing this..there has to be other ways to handle the fibro cycles. I don't know if cymbalta is doing anything for me because I still have much pain alot of times. My goals are to 1] get rid of the buzz. 2]rejoin life 3]feel more energy 4] have an orgasm again[I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but it has been a problem]...please talk to me with encouragement and I will talk to you with the same..blessings, mimi

#19 Bettyrose

Bettyrose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Dear Mimi -- welcome! Those sound like really good goals, all of them... I was on Cymbalta for a number of months, on a variety of other antidepressants for many years, and it is only looking back that I realized how they numbed me out. In a way Cymbalta was a perverse blessing, because it made the effects so obvious that I was finally able to see that this was not just a case of my meds "not working to help the depresssion." At least some of the meds were helping maintain and deepen the depression. This is particularly true with regard to our sex lives, and everyone should be blessed with one, it may be only one part of what makes life worth living but it is a real one! I wish I had realized the effects these drugs were having on me all thru the 1980's and 1990's when they caused me relationship problems and I too often blamed myself for being a cold fish.

I think you can look around here and realize that this is a drug you have to get off of gradually. Some people are more affected than others -- some get over the withdrawals in a week, others are badly affected for months. It took me about one month exactly to get over the crying jags, dizziness, extra fatigue, and very strange nightmares. Let us know how it goes and check back often.

#20 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Day 6: So I have just about kicked Cymbalta in the butt!!! I am feeling almost normal- still a bit dizzy here and there but not constant- zap now and then but hey!! I am over the hump!!
Like I said, after all the research I did on how this crap works and reading everyone's story here I knew that 100% cold turkey with no "helpers" was the only way for me to go. I'd rather feel like death for a week and get it over with than feel like death for months trying to "wean" and then have to "wean" off all the helper drugs.

VICTORY IS MINE!!!

so I totally agree...I'm feeling off and pissy, but...you're right...a week or so...but, that's just me...

#21 Jnine

Jnine

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawals

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

I hope someone can help me. I am about to start weaning myself off 60mgs of Cymbalta. The last couple of days I have taken a few graduals out of my cdaily capsule but last night I missed my dose completely. Well, today has been hell. I have had body and brain zaps all day not to mention the being dizzy and having "trails" when I turn my head too quick. I have been taken this for the last year for nerve pain. I recently weaned myself off another nerve med and did it pretty good but I had heard that cymbalta would be rough. Any advice or insight would be appreciated. I just want my life back.

#22 truckprincess

truckprincess

Best Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawals

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

Jnine, try some over the counter motion sickness med. It helps a ton with the dizziness, lightheaded feeling, nausea, head swooshing etc. It has taken me about 6 weeks to go from 60mg to 30mg but I tried several different things to get here and finally said screw it and just stuck to the 30mg. I think I got my body used to not knowing for sure just how many mgs it was going to get which may or may not have truly helped. Can't say I feel perfect but better each day. You can check out my long post if you want to see what I have tried. It's listed under my battle so far.

#23 Jnine

Jnine

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawals

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

Thank you for posting. I am trying to wean myself off of 60mgs daily. My doctor (whom I have lost total faith in) stated that I could do it cold turkey. Thank goodness for forums like this or else I would be in big trouble. I accidnetly missed a dose after taking a few graduals out nightly and was in pure hell yesterday. Took my dose last night minus the few graduals but still had zappers today & tonight. I have heard the clarition or something like it would help. I tried it today and it did help abit. But wow this is so much harder than weaning myself off the lyrica which I was at 250mg daily. Came off of that in under 3 weeks. The only way I can explain weaning myself off of this, is like a bad acid trip without any of the fun. Zappers in my hands and feet than they feel like they are either heavy or not attached to my body, Turn my head too fast and i see trails and get dizzy. Itching, sweating and cold all mixed into one. The best part is that I am trying to work while doing all this when really all I want is my bed yet sleep scares me as the dreams are frightening.Any advice folks???

#24 Jnine

Jnine

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawals

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Thank you someone told me to try clarition which has helped today. It is strange though I tend to get the sappers around 2pm every day while at work. I am hoping that as time goes by it will be later each day until one day it doesnt happen. I am hoping to be off of this by xmas as I now know it wont be a fast process.

#25 truckprincess

truckprincess

Best Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawals

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Thank you someone told me to try clarition which has helped today. It is strange though I tend to get the sappers around 2pm every day while at work. I am hoping that as time goes by it will be later each day until one day it doesnt happen. I am hoping to be off of this by xmas as I now know it wont be a fast process.

I was getting the brain zaps too until I stared taking the motion sickness med. I have the Rugby travel sickness med which I bought a few years ago ( I think it's actually expired lol) but thought I would give it a try one day and helped a ton. No more zaps! So that and advil or ibuprofen have been my best friends recently. I take allegra daily so for me to say if allergy med actually helps any or not I couldn't say one way or the other. Glad to hear the clariton helped you some though.

#26 truckprincess

truckprincess

Best Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawals

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

Thank you for posting. I am trying to wean myself off of 60mgs daily. My doctor (whom I have lost total faith in) stated that I could do it cold turkey. Thank goodness for forums like this or else I would be in big trouble. I accidnetly missed a dose after taking a few graduals out nightly and was in pure hell yesterday. Took my dose last night minus the few graduals but still had zappers today & tonight. I have heard the clarition or something like it would help. I tried it today and it did help abit. But wow this is so much harder than weaning myself off the lyrica which I was at 250mg daily. Came off of that in under 3 weeks. The only way I can explain weaning myself off of this, is like a bad acid trip without any of the fun. Zappers in my hands and feet than they feel like they are either heavy or not attached to my body, Turn my head too fast and i see trails and get dizzy. Itching, sweating and cold all mixed into one. The best part is that I am trying to work while doing all this when really all I want is my bed yet sleep scares me as the dreams are frightening.Any advice folks???

Sorry I just noticed you said your doctor you could quit cold turkey??? He needs to be smacked! You need to contact him and ask for samples of the 30mg and tell him about your symptoms. I can't believe any doctor would EVER suggest going cold turkey. Even drug manufactures list that you should not stop abruptly. Tell him that!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users