• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 skipoet

skipoet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:48 AM

I've been on Cymbalta 60mg for almost 2 years. I was originally prescribed Cymbalta for nerve pain in my ankle. I shattered my ankle in 2009 and had severe nerve damage from the accident. I was originally prescribed Lyrica for the nerve pain, but gained 60 lbs and refused to take it anymore. I remember weaning off that drug was hard, and I have no doubt I'm about to go through much worse.

I finally bit the bullet and had surgery a couple months ago to sever the damaged nerve, so there's no reason I need to take the Cymbalta anymore. However, I've run out of the pills before and I have a little of an idea of what going cold turkey would feel like (brain zaps, fingers and toes tingling, fever-like, hyper-emotional), and I just don't think I can do it. I'm also on 25mg of Amitriptyline for migraine prevention, and I've read that taking another anti-depressant while weaning off Cymbalta can help, but it seems like people usually use Prozac. I'd also like to use the Cymbalta pills I currently have to taper off as I don't have insurance right now, so can't get lower doses. I have about 2 months of pills left.

I have two questions that I would love help answering:

1. Has anyone tried to taper off Cymbalta while on Amitriptyline? Does the Amitriptyline help?

2. If I use the Cymbalta pills I have and count out beads, does it make more sense to halve the pills and than halve it again and again, or drop by 10mg? How long should I wait before lowering each dose? One week? Two weeks? A month?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and providing me support. I've been reading posts here since I knew I'd need to get off the Cymbalta, and it's really great to know there's a community of people who know what I'm about to go through. I have an incredible support group around me, but it's hard for them to understand and support something they've never experienced.

#2 Finnishguy

Finnishguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:33 AM

1. I haven't tried, but I switched from amitriptyline (aka Triptyl) originally to duloxetine (aka Cymbalta). And yes, it seems to make it easier but at least for me, amitriptyline causes massive weight gain - 20 pounds in a single year (despite the fact I normally gain no weight).
It is far easier to wean off amitriptyline in my experience, however.

2. By far the route requiring least effort is to go Cymbalta 60 mg -> 30 mg -> Yentreve 20 mg (also duloxetine so identical effects). After being
on Yentreve for some time, you can start halving the number of beads to make withdrawal easier. I stopped cold turkey after taking 20 mg for a year, and despite the small quantity, it has been extremely difficult, mostly psychologically (extreme anxiety and panic).
Using a smaller size for a year or so before reducing again makes the process much, much easier. Completely cutting off any dosage other than 20 mg
or less can be extremely severe and even dangerous. It is possible to lower to dose after every two weeks or so, but it will be difficult.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users