• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 salvadora

salvadora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:35 AM

Hello, a newbie here. I am on my fourth day of cold bird off Cymbalta. I know it's not the way to go; I know tapering would be preferable. In any case, I'm just going to list what I go through here. A lot of people, it seems, have really horrorshow times getting off this drug, and I don't know if I'm going to be one of them. Hopefully what I describe will help me and someone else.

Some background: I've been on Cymbalta for 20 months for major depression and anxiety. About a year on 30, and the last period on 60 mg.
Before taking the drug, I had terrible times sleeping and was experiencing rushing thoughts, and the idea of suicide would pop up in my head frequently - not in any kind of ideation way, but the concept would just bubble in and out, sometimes several times a day, which was a bit worrying and certainly annoying. I found Cymbalta cleared my head, as though the storm in my frontal lobe had disappated. I didn't have any really notable side effects when starting, apart from some nights with difficulty sleeping due to a kind of manic feeling. It did not help my sleeping, nor my depression really. I have not been able to give two sh*ts about anything for a couple of years now, and it affects my working life as well as personal life. I've also had the wonderful weight gain many people discuss. On the whole, my side effects have been very minimal, but the part where I don't care about anything in the world is so awful, I feel like I'd trade it for all kinds of other symptoms. And I'd love to just be able to sleep like a healthy person - it's either 12 hours or 2 with me.

A few days ago I ran out of meds. Something in me said to hell with it, we're getting off this time. I know that not only is it inadvisable to stop abruptly, but that doing it without an awful lot of premeditation is also rash. So I'm trying to be as good to myself in other ways as possible. I have told many of my friends exactly what I'm doing and feeling, and have even scheduled time to get out of the house and meet them, go see a film, etc, and they're not allowed to let me off the hook. :) I am going off all alcohol for the next few weeks at least, trying to tire myself out before a decent bedtime, and go to work, but to keep my life mostly simple.

Day 1:
The first day without meds, I only felt a bit more anxious in the evening. The same as any time I accidentally missed a dose.
I also had bad dreams.

Day 2:
Basically like the first day, only the anxiety in the evening was accompanied with feeling a bit foggy in the brain. I can still work and concentrate when I need to do something - I was in the middle of a performance project, and had no trouble doing public speaking - just felt rather averse to performing before the show. Feeling much more antisocial.
Trouble sleeping, nodded off around 7:00 am.
Bad dreams: check.

Day 3:
Brain fog: quite a lot of it. I can concentrate when needed, but I feel I have to steel myself for the effort.
Vertigo: a feeling like being a bit dizzy much of the time, and when walking through town, it's like there's a separation between what my eyes see and what my brain perceives. It's annoying but so far not so frustrating as to make me lose my temper.
Antisocial feeling much stronger, but once I do mix with people, it's okay. Slightly more irritable than usual.
Random, short bouts of crying.
Bad dreams: oh yes. At this point the nightmares almost make me laugh, because they are *so* obviously about very basic fears - death of a loved one, getting kicked out of my house unexpectedly, etc.
Sleeping: got to sleep early, slept a lovely 9 hours. With only slightly disturbing dreams.

Day 4:
Waking up a bit tough - nothing unusual for me in the past 2 years.
Brain fog: it's ON. I'm at work but trying to focus on my tasks and minimize contact with colleagues. I feel like I'm not quite here in some ways. On the way to work I didn't want to look others in the eye.
Vertigo: check. A fairly constant, low-level feeling. It's a wee bit like being hung over without any pain or nausea.
Strong awareness of bodily tension.
Thoughts racing occasionally.
Runny nose!

I could also mention the optimism: all of the symptoms I'm having I am so far able to classify under "temporary, it's the drug, I can do this, it will get better" in my head.

#2 Meglette

Meglette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

Same for me except you didn't mention any "brain zaps". Once they start in the day, for whatever reason, they don't go away. They disable me completely. I took Cym for Fibromyalgia pain and chronic depression. Even on cymb I was getting horrible sleepiness, and the definitely "2-scheisters" lack of feeling you described. I get good sleep with 10mg Ambien. I'm not able to work and just walking my two dogs is unbalanced and painful. I am getting a bale of knitting done. Its the only thing I know I can do without the brain zaps coming on. I'm even holding my pee and poo grunts are scary.
I know that's more info...but I wanted to illustrate how flipped out this withdrawal is. Against my Dr's advice, I will not restart this drug...I bthink.

#3 salvadora

salvadora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:24 AM

Same for me except you didn't mention any "brain zaps". Once they start in the day, for whatever reason, they don't go away. They disable me completely. I took Cym for Fibromyalgia pain and chronic depression. Even on cymb I was getting horrible sleepiness, and the definitely "2-scheisters" lack of feeling you described. I get good sleep with 10mg Ambien. I'm not able to work and just walking my two dogs is unbalanced and painful. I am getting a bale of knitting done. Its the only thing I know I can do without the brain zaps coming on. I'm even holding my pee and poo grunts are scary.
I know that's more info...but I wanted to illustrate how flipped out this withdrawal is. Against my Dr's advice, I will not restart this drug...I bthink.

Yikes, that sounds more intense than my particular experience so far. I am very much hoping not to get the zaps - I didn't mention them because so far I haven't had any, knock on wood, God willing and a fast infield, etc. Knitting is fabulous, though - I'm into sewing, myself, so I will be happy to get into that again at some point. I haven't had too much disturbance in the bowels, either, at least nothing to write home about. :)

Anyway, the report:
Rest of day 4:
Brain fog and vertigo cleared up somewhat by the late afternoon, which was very nice.
Took a long walk, some forested areas, the sight of a good-looking tree set me off crying. Honestly.
Was very tired at night but stupidly stayed up past bedtime watching a film, and then had trouble sleeping until 4 or so - not because of wakefulness, but because of asthma-like breathing that appears to be my body's new way of telling me it's under stress. Thanks bod.
Dreams a bit less freaky.

Day 5 so far:
Surprisingly less trouble getting up and out of the house.
Brain fog and vertigo are there but not as intense as yesterday.
I feel antisocial, but as soon as I tell people I'm feeling antisocial, we get into a conversation and then I feel quite sociable after all.

So far my feeling is that if it's like this for another week or two or even a month, I can handle it. I haven't yet had any bad arguments, really bad mood swings, or zaps. I have no idea whether it's relevant that I had only very mild side-effects from the drug in the first place, if I compare them to what others have reported.

#4 salvadora

salvadora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:41 AM

Day 6:

Sleep disruption, but that's due to asthma and being out of ventolin since my bag was stolen. I cycled (and THAT was fun, with my current sense of balance) to the hospital at three in the morning, got a pleasingly high-tech treatment of some bronchiodilator delivered via a massive machine that fills a face mask with mist, and went home to sleep. No disruptive dreams. Got some ventolin so my sleep shouldn't be so fraught from now on.

Random crying spells: particularly brought on by music. The bus driver this morning had the radio on, and when Tom Jones and Mousse-T's "Sexbomb" came on, I started welling up. THAT is hilarious, except I'm crying too.

Concentration and brain feeling: I'm getting used to a near-constant feeling of being stoned, in the sense that one's brain and five senses don't seem to be synching up precisely. It's at the sort of level where I can totally take this for a couple of weeks or even months - but if the rest of my life is like this, I will at some point have a screaming hissy fit and go postal.

Other than that, just waiting for the body to clear the evil. :)

#5 salvadora

salvadora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

Day, well, something. That should tell you about my state. Something like 10 or something.

Last few days have been slightly horrorshow in a few ways.

Mania: yet not doing actual "work" work, but just being stubbornly awake for 36 hours at a stretch. Been playing a lot of computer games, as they're terribly easy to focus on. This, I think, I should cut out to improve.
Loss of appetite: an unusual thing for me; usually I feed my anxiety. A week ago, food all tasted a bit more vibrant, which was weird. Now it all tastes like cardboard.
Depression/apathy: not doing simple things like washing.
Panic?: Went to the shop to get some groceries. The experience was one of mild panic in the shop, a couple of instances of eyes welling up, violent urges towards people who were in my way, and once I got home a full-on weepy session out of nowhere. Thank goodness for flatmates who are good at just calming me down. I can confidently say that was my worst experience of grocery shopping, ever. I felt more different kinds of awful in 10 minutes than I think I ever have.

Fog and brain: not really. I noticed it when I went to the shop, a bit, but that was such an awful experience for everything else, I didn't really mark it much.
Dreams: when I sleep they're okay, they don't feel good nor bad, but I can tell they're the dreams I get when sleep-deprived (the way I dream it's like my brain defragging itself, putting things in order, but it's not unpleasant or stressful).

Still optimistic, as long as this part doesn't last too much longer. I know it's just the damned brain. Also, my flatmate said she was proud of me for giving up the Cymbalta even though it was making me wonky, and that actually gave me quite a boost. I figure it's a pretty decent sign I'm writing it up. :)

#6 salvadora

salvadora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:05 AM

12 days out.

Crying a lot! With no warning. Wearing sunglasses when I go out.

Sleeping still less than hunky dory.

Friends and family proving to be a great help, just to be there and be normal while I'm being all goopy-faced around them. Every time I break down and cry I feel better afterwards.

Short bursts of rage, just quick-lived impulses to smash something, really. Or short thoughts about, well, not about suicide, but about not being alive.

Medium-length bursts of productivity: work, cooking, email, yoga (!)

Brain fog and that "stoned" feeling is much less of an issue now.

Noticeable amount of small, short-term memory lapses - opening up a new browser window and suddenly having no idea what I wanted to do with it; forgetting the thread of a conversation, etc.

Thoughts often racing.

Still optimistic. :)

#7 salvadora

salvadora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

15 Days.

Now in addition to those random bouts of misery, I get random feelings of happiness. Or I look around and find myself actually interested in other people for the first time in a couple of years. And that is pretty nice.

My sleep is WAY the bloody hell off of any kind of circadian rhythm. On the other hand, I've quit work so I'm just sleeping when I want to at the moment. But I would like to get that sorted.

Brain fog feeling is minimal.

Emotions are still fairly close to the surface, but I'm getting more comfortable with them being there. I've had a couple of very good days, basically. Starting to feel like "myself" again. I know with only two weeks in to this process, I'm nowhere near done, but I will shamelessly count that minor victory.

#8 salvadora

salvadora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

15 Days.

Now in addition to those random bouts of misery, I get random feelings of happiness. Or I look around and find myself actually interested in other people for the first time in a couple of years. And that is pretty nice.

My sleep is WAY the bloody hell off of any kind of circadian rhythm. On the other hand, I've quit work so I'm just sleeping when I want to at the moment. But I would like to get that sorted.

Brain fog feeling is minimal.

Emotions are still fairly close to the surface, but I'm getting more comfortable with them being there. I've had a couple of very good days, basically. Starting to feel like "myself" again. I know with only two weeks in to this process, I'm nowhere near done, but I will shamelessly count that minor victory.

#9 salvadora

salvadora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

17 Days.

I have a habit of being able to stay awake for 36 hours, get a ton of stuff done, and almost *enjoy* a constant half-tired half-wired buzz. I know this isn't the sort of thing that should last forever 'cause it's basically a bit manic, but on the other hand my mood is so positive I can't knock it.

I think Cymbalta may have been doing a thing or two for my back pain, which seems to be a bit more attention-seeking in the past half week or so than it's been for a long time.

Obviously this kind of manic phase isn't a mental ideal, either, but it *feels* like such an improvement. You cats, I'm sure, know the feeling. This too shall pass.

#10 becki

becki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

Salvadora, sounds likes you are doing great. (great is relative, right?)
I'm almost 3 1/2 weeks off, and can't believe how good I feel. I totally get the "manic" feeling, went through one or two days like that while doing a slow wean, and now that i"m completely off, I have more energy than I have had in the past 3 years combines. I am finally cleaning my house like a mad woman, because I have had NO motivation or energy to do it for the past 3 years.
I still get really mad/irritated really quick. Hoping that will subside.
Good for you for sticking it out.
Sorry about the back pain. You need your sleep in order for your body to heal itself. Try to get some rest if you can.
Take care!

#11 Imasurvivor

Imasurvivor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

I think those of us going thru this w/d business can all relate. My therapist reminded me "this is the first time in YEARS that you are actually really FEELING your feelings!". So yes we feel anger, sadness and happiness and it's like open nerve endings so it's intense. I'm trying to embrace this and know I'm learning HOW to feel again and deal with my emotions. My gut says we will all settle down in awhile. Keep the faith and keep looking ahead!

#12 Imasurvivor

Imasurvivor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

I think those of us going thru this w/d business can all relate. My therapist reminded me "this is the first time in YEARS that you are actually really FEELING your feelings!". So yes we feel anger, sadness and happiness and it's like open nerve endings so it's intense. I'm trying to embrace this and know I'm learning HOW to feel again and deal with my emotions. My gut says we will all settle down in awhile. Keep the faith and keep looking ahead!

#13 salvadora

salvadora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

Thanks, becki and Imasurvivor both! And congrats on sticking it out yourselves.

I know about the cleaning the house thing... LOVE it. I also have the similar feeling of having feelings that I haven't had to feel in a while and it's a bit like a rope with a frayed end; everything is so close to the surface. But I can wholeheartedly say I prefer the raw emotions to the total lack of them.

Got a very good night's rest last night, and dog gone it if the days aren't long and full of things to do when you get up at a reasonable hour. :)

Day 18:
feel rather like a normal person. Like a good normal person too.

#14 salvadora

salvadora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

For the sake of completeness, Day 26.

In the last week or so, basically none of the symptoms has come knocking at my door. Sleep habits are good, moods good, getting more active and working.

Two things which may also bear stating would be that, while I was on Cymbalta, I was just as likely as not to head down to the pub with my mates at least twice a week, and since coming off, I've been mostly teetotal, with the odd glass of wine with dinner maybe on 3 occasions. I just think it's possible that has also helped with sleeping and moods.

#15 Holyhell

Holyhell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:46 AM

For the sake of completeness, Day 26.

In the last week or so, basically none of the symptoms has come knocking at my door. Sleep habits are good, moods good, getting more active and working.

Two things which may also bear stating would be that, while I was on Cymbalta, I was just as likely as not to head down to the pub with my mates at least twice a week, and since coming off, I've been mostly teetotal, with the odd glass of wine with dinner maybe on 3 occasions. I just think it's possible that has also helped with sleeping and moods.

Thanks for the posts. Sounds like things are normalizing for you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users