• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 windupbird

windupbird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

I've been on Cymbalta for 8 months. 30 mg for the first 4 months and 60 for the next. For the first 2 weeks the side effects were pretty bad, extremely tired, dizziness and nausea. Everything subsided after 2 weeks besides always being tired. I've slept about 12 hours a day for 8 months. After 4 months with no real benefit to depression and some minor benefit to anxiety I decided to up my dose to 60mg. Still was tired all the time and no real benifit to depression either. But I got 2 new weird side effects. Constant Tinnitus in my left ear and weird vision problems were I couldn't seem to focus. Also, I started having constant heart palpitations and muscle spasms. So 4 days ago I quit Cymbalta cold Turkey. The ringing in the ear is basically gone and all I really feel is nauseous and dizzy, but it isn't to bad. Will this get worse over the next few days?

I also, just started taken Pristiq today hoping it will work for my depression and have fewer side effects. Will switching to Pristiq help with my withdrawal since they are both SNRI's? Advice appreciated.

#2 Heartfeathers

Heartfeathers

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • why_joining:
    I no longer trust the medical profession and I will NEVER take another prescription drug again! NEVER!!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

I hope the Pristiq helps with the withdrawals. You will know SOON if it doesnt. Good luck!

#3 DonMH

DonMH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationPeachland,B.C., Canada
  • why_joining:
    My wife is suffering from major Cymbalta withdrawals.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

My wife was put on Pristiq and weaned off Cymbalta in one week. The results were horrendous. You must wean off Cymbalta very, very slowly. See the post on the official protocol by Professor Healy. The side effects of Pristiq are similar to Cymbalta but it works amazingly well in some patients. See if your doctor could give you a small dose of Prozac whilst you come off Cymbalta and then try the Pristiq.
Hope this helps. DonMH.

I've been on Cymbalta for 8 months. 30 mg for the first 4 months and 60 for the next. For the first 2 weeks the side effects were pretty bad, extremely tired, dizziness and nausea. Everything subsided after 2 weeks besides always being tired. I've slept about 12 hours a day for 8 months. After 4 months with no real benefit to depression and some minor benefit to anxiety I decided to up my dose to 60mg. Still was tired all the time and no real benifit to depression either. But I got 2 new weird side effects. Constant Tinnitus in my left ear and weird vision problems were I couldn't seem to focus. Also, I started having constant heart palpitations and muscle spasms. So 4 days ago I quit Cymbalta cold Turkey. The ringing in the ear is basically gone and all I really feel is nauseous and dizzy, but it isn't to bad. Will this get worse over the next few days?

I also, just started taken Pristiq today hoping it will work for my depression and have fewer side effects. Will switching to Pristiq help with my withdrawal since they are both SNRI's? Advice appreciated.

#4 windupbird

windupbird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

My wife was put on Pristiq and weaned off Cymbalta in one week. The results were horrendous. You must wean off Cymbalta very, very slowly. See the post on the official protocol by Professor Healy. The side effects of Pristiq are similar to Cymbalta but it works amazingly well in some patients. See if your doctor could give you a small dose of Prozac whilst you come off Cymbalta and then try the Pristiq.
Hope this helps. DonMH.

How long was your wife on Cymbalta and why did she want to switch to Pristiq? How long did it take your wife to feel better? Ultimately, did the Pristiq work for your wife?

I've been off Cymbalta since Sunday now and have taken Pristiq for 3 days. I'm feeling really sleepy and a lot of dizziness and light headedness. How long will this last? I think its to late to go back to Cymbalta and wean off slowly. I just wanted to be done with it and on Pristiq cause I want to feel better. I lost my job because of Cymbalta so I really need something that works so I can get back to work.

#5 Bettyrose

Bettyrose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

Dear Bird -- My side effects while taking Cymbalta were similar to yours: always tired and foggy, occasionally dizzy, and it did just about nothing for my depression. It sounds like you started taking Cymbalta because of depression and anxiety ... but the depression and anxiety did not cost you your job. Cymbalta did.

Pristiq is also an SNRI. It is basically the same drug as Effexor (they are venlafaxine and desvenlafaxine) so anything you read about Effexor will probably apply to Pristiq. It sounds to me as if you are getting the same side effects from the Pristiq as you did from the Cymbalta ... not withdrawal symptoms, but plain old drug symptoms. Be very careful, because the effects of taking one drug before the other is out of your system can result in a kind of overdose called serotonin syndrome (I think this did happen to Don's wife who was switched from a massive dose of one drug to a massive dose of the next by some idiot doctor.) If you start having headaches, fever, confusion, stiff neck, get yourself to an emergency room!

I've got no doubt the depression was painful -- been there. But it sounds like the depression treatment has been even worse -- been there too. You might want to think seriously about getting off the antidepressants altogether, SLOWLY, and investigating whether anything else might help you feel better: counseling, exercise, or whatever. There are some good protocols for withdrawing from these things safely. Prozac has been used by some because it doesn't clear out of your system as fast as Cymbalta, so quitting it does not cause such a "crash landing." But before you try a third drug make sure you have a doctor who understands your goal of being drug-free. Best of luck!!

#6 windupbird

windupbird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

I really have no desire to be so extreme as to say all Anti Depressants are bad and to be off them completely. I have a illness and need proper treatment. I also see a psychologist once a week.

So its been 1 week since I went cold turkey off Cymbalta and then switch to Pristiq on the fourth day. Today all of my withdrawals are gone and I'm feeling very good. Very happy to be off Cymbalta as I feel it isn't a very good anti depressant. My withdrawals weren't as bad as most peoples on this forums, which I am thankful for. I didn't experience any Brain Zaps which was good. Not sure if Pristiq helped alleviate most withdrawals or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users