• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 graces_gizmo

graces_gizmo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:17 PM

I had to write in and let everyone know that I am on day 2 of weaning off the nasty Cymb. using Prozac.
IT IS WORKING!!!!!
I had a tiny little bit of light-headed (ness) yesterday but was able to do regular activities.
Today, I feel like my vision is changing slightly.
No nausea, upset tummy, or dizziness! YEAH!!!!
I am taking approx. 15 mg of Cymb. (1/2 regular dose) and 20 mg of Prozac, until everything normalizes or a week whichever comes first.
I did sweat a little today, Cymb. made me freezing cold all the time. So I think I'm normalizing a bit.
Also, the Chamomile Tea is helping me get to sleep.

Good Luck to all who use this method, I think I can do this! :)

#2 Momoftwo

Momoftwo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:14 PM

Please continue to post your comments. My psychiatrist wants me to do 20mg of Cymbalta for 6 more weeks (to level things out), and is going to try the prozac method. I am curious to see how you do. Thanks for posting.

#3 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:32 PM

MomofTwo,

You may want to question your dr about staying on the Cymbalta for 6 more weeks. My psychiatrist just told me the other day that the longer a person is on Cymbalta (or other SNRI), the more severe the withdrawal symptoms will be. Of course, she waited until AFTER I had withdrawal problems to tell me this!!

Although I do agree that a taper method is probably better than cold turkey, 6 weeks seems like a long time to be on the same dose. Especially if you are doing that in combination with Prozac. I stopped cold turkey and started the Prozac on Day 4 of withdrawal. Within a few days, the worst of the physical withdrawal symptoms had ended. So, if you use the Prozac, you may want to consider a much shorter time at 20mgs. This is all just my opinion based on my experience and what I have read on here and in other places.

As you know, the biggest problem is that 20mg is the lowest dose available; and, many people still report significant problems stopping from 20mgs. But, if you are going to be taking the Prozac, your symptoms will probably be greatly lessened.

#4 graces_gizmo

graces_gizmo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:34 PM

Just wanted to check in.
It is now late night of day 5.
Yesterday i felt a little nausea and light headed. I was able to go about normal activities but, we postponed a 3 hr drive to the the State Fair we had planned for today. I didn't want to be so far from home if my symptoms got worse.
They didn't. Today I felt fine. I actually suggested an early evening grocery shopping trip to town with a stop over at a favorite restaurant for a margarita and Mexican Pizza.
I don't know why I felt yucky yesterday. Perhaps the 4 day 1/2 cycle, or maybe I dumped a bit more than 1/2 out of the capsule.
Since I am only eyeballing it, it is very possible.
Hubby wants me to take more than a week with this stage. We have a lot going on the next 3 weeks. He doesn't want to take a chance on me crashing ether mentally/emotionally or physically. I plan to wait and see how the next few days go. I got a month of Prozac and 2 months of Cymb. So I can take my time.

I am thrilled to be down to approximately 15mg of Cymb. with 20 mg of Prozac daily. :lol:
Anyway, this method of getting off the nasty Cymb. is working well for me. :D

#5 jean

jean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

Just wanted to give all of you an update on how I am doing. For those of you who have not read my past posts, I was on 120 mg of Cymbalta for a number of years. The last several weeks I have had problems sleeping and started having headaches and night sweats. Thought it was menopause symptoms as I am almost 60 years old and have had lots of problems with menopause for the last 15 years. Anyway, I was taking Klonipin for sleep and it stopped working. Doctor precscripbed Ambien and it did not work. In the meantime I stupidly decided to stop taking the Cymbalta in an attempt to clean out my system. Didn't know about the withdrawal problems. Well, in a few days I got all of the awful symptoms you all have talked about and went to the doctor. He said I was having withdrawal symptoms from stopping the Cymbalta and told me to take 60 mg daily. He also prescribed Lunesta which is helping my sleeping problems. Anyway, starting back on the decreased dose of Cymbalta helped immensly and now I am in the process of decreasing the meds further. On August 7th I started on 30 mg of Cymbalta and 20 mg of Prozac. Started having stomach cramps and chills on August 9th but really manageable compared to symptoms I had earlier. It is now the 11th and I really am doing quite well. No major problems. An occasional stomach cramp and some jitters but certainly so much better than when I went cold turkey. SO I want all of you out there who are so bummed about your symptoms to know that things will get better. I know I am certainly not through this thing but I do feel as if I have some tools to help me through this. Thanks to this site and especially Greybeard for the advice on Prozac. My doctor was hesitant about giving me Prozac along with the Cybalta as he felt I probably wouldn't need it. But I told him that I read that many of you on this site had problems especially when you went to 30 mg every other day (my doctor was suggesting that after I was on 30 mg daily that the next step was every other day). I told him that I really did not want to risk withdrawal symptoms when Prozac with the longer half-life than Cymbalta (Prozac stays in the body longer) would decrease any symtoms. I will keep you posted on how I am doing. Jean

#6 Momoftwo

Momoftwo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:03 PM

Those of you using the Prozac....how are things going? Check in if you get a chance....I am hoping to use this method when my psychiatrist weans me. Currently I am on 20mg so I think he is just going to switch me over. Thanks.

#7 graces_gizmo

graces_gizmo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:38 PM

Checking in again.
It is now day 11of weaning off the nasty Cymb. using Prozac.
Today I cut back to 7.5mg of Cymb. with 20 mg of Prozac.
I went by weight - divided weight of pellets from 1 capsule by 4. Returned the 1/4 of pellets to the capsule.
Since Day 5, things have been pretty uneventful. I have felt my eyes and body temp adjusting. I have had to turn on the air conditioning a few times, especially at night. Remember, I was always cold on Cymb.
On Tuesday I started 3x400IU Vitamin E at night for blood thinning. A CAT scan found a blockage in left leg. Dr. offered an RX, but highly recommended aspirin. I tried aspirin, got nausea and gas, so am trying Vit E. I may have to look for another alternative cause I've had diarrhea 2 nights in a row. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I forgot to add that my weight is coming back down, YEAH!
Also, I have gotten 2 full nights sleep in row- in bed by midnight and up at 10-11:00 am. This is huge, I haven't slept so well in at least 10 months!!! I am excited to think I may actually start having FULL days again soon!!!

This method of getting off the nasty Cymb. is working well for me. :( I hope I don't have any trouble getting off the Prozac.
I'll keep you posted.

#8 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:46 AM

Graces_Gizmo,
I took Prozac during withdrawal, but I still had diarrhea for almost 2 weeks. I continued taking the Prozac for about a month and recently stopped it without any problems. Good Luck!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users