• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 feellikeimdying

feellikeimdying

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:47 AM

Hi again, A little more self control today. Really no improvements in my side effects but at least Ive stopped crying. My road to cymbalta becan a few years ago when after being wounded, captured, beaten and eventually escaping by killing my 9 year old guard. after 3 days of hell in Afghanistan, I was found and rescued by some locals. Upon my return to the states, I was diagnosed with PTSD and discharged. (big surprise) Since then, I have been on so many psychotropic drugs that I cant even remember them all. I have to tell you tho. effexor, lexapro, and cymbalta are all evil evil meds. As I said before, I wont go on any more. I have found that xanax is helping a little with the withdrawal. I wont go to the trouble of listing all of the side effects or withdrawal symptoms since they are the same as pretty much everyone here. I will always have PTSD. racing thoughts, nightmares, hypervigilence and flashbacks. I have decided that I can deal with all of those but not these meds.I just hope that I can get clean after all these years. Thanks for your kind responses. Michael

#2 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:15 PM

Michael,
I'm sure you are not the only veteran with PTSD that has gone through this terrible withdrawal. In fact, one of the other threads over in "Cymbalta In the News" copied an article dealing with the military's use of anti-depressants like Cymbalta to treat PTSD. Of course, the people on here responded to that info with anger and frustration because they knew that veterans like you would end up being "traumatized" yet again by this terrible drug!

Thank you for serving our country!

Please don't give up! You are obviously a survivor, so don't let a drug manufacturer take that away from you! You will get through these horrible emotional days. It sounds like you are in the worst of it right now. I was willing to take Prozac to help me through the worst of the withdrawal, but others on here found some relief with benadryl, Omega 3 Fish Oils, and other various vitamins and supplements. Read everything you can on here and come here when you need support!

#3 mokincaid

mokincaid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:41 PM

Hi Michael, Prettey horrible story. I too am a ptsd sufferer. Nothing so horrible as your story but pretty bad nevertheless. I can sympathize with your symptoms of ptsd. I have been suffering from this for over 18 years now. For me the drugs havent worked either. Sounds like you and I have had the same cocktail tried on us. I cant tell you when or if it will get better. All I can say is leave the pistol alone. Nothing is ever accomplished from the grave. Try to get out of the house. see freiends. get a dog. anything that might help. I have been off of cymbalta of just a week and it is pure hell. I just know that it will get better. by the way, I was part of an EOD team attached to the SEALS myself (probably when u were in grade school) so I understand that too. Thank you for your service and take care. mokincaid

#4 1984

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:40 PM

I currently work with vets, so I'm very aware of PTSD. Unfortunately, I was mentally and physically abused as a child, and was sexually assaulted during my teens and twenties. It took me a long time to get through all that, with the help of a higher power and a few good friends. I still have "issues". Sometimes I can't go to places where there are crowds, I get so panicky. I couldn't go to my own graduation one year, because of the anxiety. I haven't had the greatest work record, I've used alcohol to numb the pain, and drugs. I just consider myself quirky, now. If I know something is going to set me off, then I just don't do it. I can tell when the anxiety is coming, it's like being in a danger zone and I don't want to go there or I know I'll just freak. I'm a very jittery person anyway and always on the alert. My previous boss used to think it was funny to scare me and make me jump. I recently did that at my new job, a man walked up behind me and spoke in a very loud voice-I nearly went through the roof. I tried cymbalta, bad effects. Tried Lexapro, worse effects. Don't try Lyrica.

Anyway, I'm glad you made it back. I'm often surprised that I survived some of the things I went through. I think of life as a play, and my part hasn't ended, yet. I still have something to contribute and I believe you do. too. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here today. Maybe we're not like everyone out there, but who wants to be? I wish you the best. Just give it time, it gets better. One day, one play, at a time. 8-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users