6 replies to this topic

#1 Steph

Steph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

Hello,

I came accross this board while doing a seach..after I quite the Cymbalta CT.

I was put on 60mg a few months ago and I have been profusely sweating and in a fog since then. I didn't put two and two together until after I had lunch with a friend recently. We spoke about the horrible side effects of Cymbalta and I finally connected the dots.

So fast forward to today, day 6 being off Cymbalta.

I'm not having the brain zaps that i have read about on this forum, but I'm having horrible nightmares (like I used to have b4 I started the Cymbalta and one of the reasons why I started it)

The first few days I had bad stomach cramps which has almost gone now. I have had a really hard time falling asleep. I don't want to go back to the cymbalta as I have read some of the stories here and other places. But I was considering it a few days ago.

I'm so glad there is a forum, because you just don't know what others are going through and I think we can learn from each other...so kudos to you all for this place.

BTW, also since I've taken the cymbalta, I've gotten 'lazy eye'. I have to work at my computer with my right eye closed so I do not see double. (the eye excercises I'm supposed to do make me very dizzy and nauseaus) I never had this problem and it did coinside with the start of this drug. I'm also on Lexapro 20mg per day and I take ambien at night to sleep.

Thanks.

#2 Steph

Steph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:38 PM

I forgot to mention that I have ADD too. I think the cymbalta made my focus worse and now that I'm off of it I feel as though I can't even type this post. I'm so sleepy and non motivated. If I have to go back on this Cymbalta I'll be so dissappointed, but I can't loose my job because I'm "out of it" KWIM?

Thanks

#3 Jenofhearts

Jenofhearts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Locationmilwaukee, wi

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:33 PM

Hi,
I am new here as well, thank god I found this site. I have been feeling so low, it is good to know there are others out there. I am a 47 year old woman, been on anti depressants for about 20 years, started with Prozac, thought it wasn't helping anymore a few years ago and my doc put me on Cymbalta. Well, things were fine for a while and after about 18 months on it I was getting extremely lethargic, super dizzy, sweating, agoraphobic, started gaining weight, and super nervous. Being 47 I thought this was maybe peri-menopause. Well, I started to read up on the side effects of Cymbalta and I fit the bill as they say.
I decided to wean off of it, first it was 60mgs down to half of that and then a day off day on. It was hell, I had to have her give me a 20mg everyday, which I am about 10 days into. I am so tired and spacey, dizzy, confused, feel that out of myself feeling, no where is safe anymore. I sometimes think I am losing my mind, then I read some of the other stories on here and I realize and tell myself I am going through withdrawal and it must get better?????? Also, on Cymbalta I was having extreme nightmares, very violent and would stick with me all day. Those have subsided a bit thank god. I feel like I am in a fog all the time and sleep is the only relief, but I wake up and feel the same. I would not wish this on anyone, I am still if not more so agoraphobic, my family has been great and seems to understand,but if not for them I doubt I would be able to even shop for myself at this point, the thought of leaving the house is terrifying to me. I hope I can come out of this soon, I am going to finish the 20mgs and then go to 20 for 2 days and one day off. I have a therapist to help me as well and she made this suggestion as she has seen many patients trying to go off of this drug, she said it will take many months. She said Effexor and Cymbalta are the worst to get off of. I am so scared any advice or kind words would surely be appreciated, thank you all and hope to see you again soon, I will be checking back often!!
Jen

#4 rjwade

rjwade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:09 AM

Jen wrote:

of. I am so scared any advice or kind words would surely be appreciated,
thank you all and hope to see you again soon, I will be checking back often!!

Unlike most folks here, I am not actively trying to get off the Cymbalta. But, with that said, I've had several instances where I have had to go without. Not good- but not always avoidable. What drew me here was the continuing need to make a clear distinction between what was likely to be symptomatic of withdrawal and what wasn't. Once you have that- you regain some small measure of control and can take steps. My withdrawal symptoms have become fairly recognizable and consistent. For instance, I will have screaming nightmares and night sweats. If I find myself going without for more than a day or so, I'll read something humorous before turning out the lights, so I don't just lay there and analyze everything I did during the day, and sleep on a bath sheet/beach towel. The bath sheet probably helps more than the reading but the point is that I took steps and tried. I made the distinction and acted.

Keep trying! IMHO- once you've got enough information that you can clearly classify what's going on as "withdrawal", you've regained some small control of the situation and things aren't as scary anymore.

#5 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:09 PM

Jen,
I'm glad you have the support of a doctor and a therapist, that is a huge plus in the battle against Cymbalta Withdrawal. Unfortunately, many doctors are still not aware of the potentially serious withdrawal symptoms. One thing you may not know yet about this drug is that it has a very short "half life". That means that the drug clears your system very quickly (my doctor told me Cymbalta's half life is around 7 hrs).

The short half life is why the "every other day" method doesn't work very well with Cymbalta tapering. Some drugs, like Prozac, have a long half life (up to 1-2 weeks). That is why other drugs can be successfully tapered using every other day. Other people on here have described this method as putting your body into withdrawal every other day. Based on the biochemistry of Cymbalta, that is an accurate description.

As Greybeard mentioned, there are better/safer alternatives than the every other day method. I took Prozac to lessen the severity of my withdrawal symptoms. I started taking it on Day 4 of withdrawal and I think it really helped a lot. Since Prozac's half life is longer, I am now free to taper off of it withdrawal. (I had previously taken Prozac and it quit working so I switched to another anti-dep. But, I didn't have any trouble coming off the Prozac previously, so I felt it would be a "safe alternative" this time.)

Many others on here have had success with opening the capsules and removing the "pellets" to taper down slowly over time. As Greybeard mentioned, as long as the pellets do not get wet or compromised in anyway, that seems to be a pretty safe method. Still others have found relief from withdrawal symptoms by using benadryl, natural herbal supplements and/or diet changes.

I encourage you to read as much as possible on here and feel free to ask questions or just ask for support when you need it! We are all here trying to help each other. Always remember, you will get through this and it does get better!

#6 Steph

Steph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:40 PM

I am so so sorry that i have not been back on here. I've been too 'sick' to even deal. I don't know if it's w/d or if i need to go back on it, but I feel like TOTAL hell.

I want to thank you all for replying to me, I didn't even think I could get on here today, but I'm close to 'the edge' if YKWIM.

I should have been on here getting support, but I was wallowing in despair. I dont' know what to do. It's like I can't even read or comprehend. My brain is mush and I'm getting to feel there is no help for me. If my life is going to be like this then it's not worth it.

The nightmares are terrible. I have dreams that are unspeakable!

My doc is a psyche doctor and he did prescribe both. It was that the lexapro wasnt' working anymore. And I don't feel like I'm getting any real sleep.

Greybeard- I hope I get myself back, because she is gone right now. I do take melatonin. I am also taking an Omega 3 w/fish oil. I'm going to read your previous posts because you know a lot about what is going on with my brain. and I can tell my brain is not functioning. I was taking both lexapro and cymbalta. My psych doc wants me to go back on cymbalta, but I dont' think I should

Jen- I too am feeling very very low. Actually that is an understatement. I haven't feel so bad in my entire life. I too was experiencing the same things of cymbalta w/d and it def. fits the bill. These dreams I'm having are sticking with me all day too. I had this dream about people being skinned alive...I can't take it...I can't live like this. And the agoraphobia...it's happening to me. I'm sorry I haven't checked in and I can only say it's NOT like me to 'check out' like this. I just want to curl up and die already.

I thought about asking for wellbutrin or upping the lexapro. I think my doctor doesn't want to fiddle with any more meds until I feel stable. But how am I going to keep my job if I'm a total waste.

Maybe I should inquire about Prozac.

Again thanks for your support and I'm sorry I haven't been checking here, but believe me I appreciate the replies. At least I'm not alone.

((huggs))
Steph

#7 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

Steph,
I went to my dr on Day 4 of withdrawal when I was feeling pretty out of it. She wanted me to restart the Cymbalta or Pristiq (new version of Cymbalta), but I said NO WAY! I told her what I had learned on here, that I knew the drug was out of my system and I wasn't going back on it. She was very understanding. I was willing to take Prozac when she suggested it because I had read on here that it really helped others.

Within 24 hrs of taking the Prozac, I felt some relief. After 3 days on the Prozac, I was out of bed, at work, and feeling clear headed. I still had some emotional (sad) moments for a few days and the nausea/diarrhea stuck around for 1-2 weeks. But after starting the Prozac, my symptoms were very manageable compared to what others have said about their first 2-4 weeks of withdrawal. I stayed on the Prozac for about 5 weeks, then stopped it without any discontinuation problems.

So based on my personal experience, I say try the Prozac if the dr will let you. I haven't read any stories of people saying Prozac didn't help, or that it made them worse...so, I don't think there would be any harm in trying it if when a person's dr will prescribe it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users