• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tinosh

tinosh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:54 AM

It seems to me that people on this board aren't really describing how to cope with withdrawal, but rather are focused on bashing Cymbalta or using this area as an arena to complain about how terrible everything is.

Of course, not all anti-depressants are for all personality types. My personal experience with Cymbalta was fantastic. Within a month on the drug, I was not thinking terrible thoughts, I was eating right, I lost 30 pounds, I was exercising again, and I found that I was infinitely more clear in my thinking and actions. I didn't over-react to people and situations, and I wasn't constantly angry and full of the "why me?" attitude. My best friend told me I was like a new person. The bonus was the help with the rheumatoid arthritis pain - apparently Cymbalta is a mild pain reliever as well. And I'm grateful for the chance to get my life back together.

After one year, I decided I would try to go off Cymbalta. It's been kind of difficult, but manageable. It didn't happen all at once - I tapered off of the drug over a three week period, and am now in my second week of drug free living. I feel dizzy often, and sometimes so nauseous that if I don't sit down, I might lose my lunch. It feels a bit heavy behind my eyes, like I'm sleepy or that I might have a sinus headache. The dizziness is sometimes in pulses, like what happens after I run really fast and suddenly stop. Sometimes I feel uncoordinated, and sometimes I can't focus. I'm not scared or angry about it - it's just annoying. I'm pretty sure it's not permanent.

The important thing is to listen to your body and your doctor. It's also very important not to read every single horror story out there, because if you "want" to feel bad, you "will" - and you will "suddenly" have every symptom in the book. Focus on yourself, and learn how to make yourself better. Complaining does nothing.

I'm cutting down on caffeine to help cope with feeling tired (caffeine exerts your brain and your nervous system). In addition, I am making sure that I am eating a lot of fruits, vegetables and nuts in every meal and drinking detox teas, juices and lots of water. Clearing out your intestines and detoxing your kidneys, liver and spleen are essential parts of coming off of any medications.

I'm in the second week of withdrawal, and I think it's worse this week than the first week, but from what I understand, that is completely normal.

#2 CathyH

CathyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:07 AM

I feel the need to respond to your post because the people here are truly in pain and anquish, trying to deal with getting off cymbalta. I came here looking for help, as my withdrawal symptoms were horrible. They were horrible BEFORE I found this site. I don't think most people come here looking to find misery, they come here looking to hear that it can be done, no matter how awful it is.

I'm glad your experience isn't as bad as some here: Something to be truly grateful for.

People come here to find what they need to get through. Whether it is in desperation, whether it is to vent, whether it is for the encouragement they so desperately need, whether it is to find people experiencing the same things they are. That should never be taken away by anyone. "Complaining" is a way to let your feelings out. I know that I read the "horror stories", and was relieved to know that I wasn't the only one.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I don't think it is fair of you to say that we take on other peoples symptoms, just by reading. That is hogwash.

Hope your symptoms continue to be "not so bad".

#3 Jenofhearts

Jenofhearts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Locationmilwaukee, wi

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:11 PM

I agree with Cathy, after all the name of this site is cymbaltawithdrawal.com..hmm I think you may just find some complainers in here. I think more than anything this is a place to go to see that you are not alone in the hell of this withdrawal process, for some of us it has been a very frightening thing to go through, including myself, and just to read a few posts and know that you are not alone or going crazy can be very comforting, and perhaps get you through another second, minute, hour, day or week of this experience.
If your withdrawals are "not so bad" I am not even sure why you are posting on here, I am angry as hell at Eli Lilly, and yes I will bash this med as much as I can to save others from being in the same horrible place I am right now.

#4 Holly

Holly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:51 PM

Right on, Jenofhearts and Cathy H!

This board has been a lifesaver for me, literally, and I'm sure others as well, JUST AS IT IS.

This is a reminder that we can't ever assume to know what is in someone else's head, heart or spirit, only our own. What is such a relief is knowing that someone has an inkling of how I feel, and that's the comfort of this group. "tinosh" is assuming she is me, and she's not. Speak for yourself, and don't assume.

#5 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:34 PM

Tinosh,

I'm glad your withdrawal symptoms aren't too bad. It seems that you were lucky because your doctor advised you through a slow taper. Unfortunately, MANY doctors, even psychiatrists who specialize in this category of drugs, are not aware of the potential for severe withdrawal problems.

That is why many of us are "mad." We feel like this drug company is not doing enough to educate doctors and patients about the potential for serious side effects and withdrawal symptoms. It is one thing for a doctor and patient to make an informed decision about the risk/benefit ratio of a given drug. But, when the doctor nor patient have all the relevant information about a drug, then they are not able to make an "informed decision."

Most of us who post on this site found it when we were experiencing very scary symptoms. Some people here were even having thoughts of suicide (there have been several well publicized suicides linked directly to Cymbalta withdrawal). This site has provided us with assurance that our symptoms are caused by the drug. We experienced the negative effects first, then found this site when we were at the "end of our rope".

This drug may be great for some people. But, it is deadly for others. Unfortunately, many people are not aware of the negative possibilities because the drug company never puts that information in their commercials, and they certainly don't let their drug reps tell the doctors about negative aspects.

Everyone here has done their own research about this drug, and we are able to provide each other information that even our doctors were not aware of. None of us would be "complaining" if we had made an informed decision about starting and stopping this drug. But we did not make an informed decision, because the drug company refuses to give any of us all the information it knows.

Good luck with your symptoms.

#6 CathyH

CathyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:43 AM

Bravo AV, GB, and Jen...........Spot on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users