4 replies to this topic

#1 Holly

Holly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:09 PM

I'm just curious how you got through the withdrawals and still was able to make it to work? My first attempt at quitting, I had to get back on because I couldn't afford to miss anymore work, and that's one of my biggest fears is losing my job because of this crap. How did you get through the day?

I've missed a lot of work. I keep wishing I could just go off by myself for a month or so--I'm picturing a mountain retreat here-- :D and get better without all the stress of trying to work, take care of the family, all the expectations, etc. One of the ironic things about it is that I work for my husband's family business, and there is a lot of stress and turmoil there which is adding to my problems, but Iknow that if I was working at another business I wouldn't have been able to miss as much time without repercussions. The worse that is happening to me is that the in-laws are giving me the stink-eye and telling my husband I'm a slacker. Whatever. Still, for me on the days that I do make it, I've had to shut my door and try to limit the interactions with others as much as possible, not drink caffeine, and pray a lot. Good luck to you. The recent addition of 20 mgs. of Celexa has calmed the withdrawal symptoms, as well as my emotions. I'm focusing much better at work, but of course, one wonders if this is just delaying the inevitable if I am to ever be med-free.

#2 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:27 PM

I was lucky to go through the worst of my withdrawal over the long 4th of July weekend. After 3 days on the Prozac, I was able to go back to work without any problems. However, I missed a lot of work while on Cymbalta when my dr increased my dose (without warning me of possible negative effects). I'm lucky I didn't lose my job or just quit during one of my emotional fits. There were many days that I became very agitated at work and had to leave...luckily, I was able to use a combination of sick, comp, and vacation time. If I hadn't figured out that the Cymbalta was causing my problems, I probably would have lost my job. I took the Prozac for about a month and stopped it about a week ago without any problems.

#3 mctmdream

mctmdream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:44 PM

DivineQuemical,

I completely understand what you mean when you started this forum "for those who are employed". When I read some of the posts here I always wonder if most of these people don't work or what??? I'm sure most of them do, and I'm sure we are all going through the same crap.
There have been many days when I have thought I lost my job as consequence of my anger rages caused by the cymbalta withdrawal combined with different new medications prescribed by my MD that made things worst. Right now I'm at 20mg of cymbalta and taking benadryl only when I feel too bad. Some days have been unberable. My job requires me to travel constantly and that ads to the stress. Somehow I'm still here, and some days I even have energy to laugh, and feel like eating. I wish "psychological issues" were not such a stigma and I could tell my boss "I am going through this process of getting off an antidepressive, so It's going to be a couple of difficult months...bear with me please..." But I would be considered a freak if only people knew I was on antidepressives...because emotional and psychological problems are still regarded as devilish....depression is not cancer....so it will never be respected.....

Good luck! :)

#4 Holly

Holly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:32 PM

But I would be considered a freak if only people knew I was on antidepressives...because emotional and psychological problems are still regarded as devilish....depression is not cancer....so it will never be respected.....

Two thoughts come to mind: You are right, there is still a stigma. It is getting better, though. Most insurance companies cover therapy now, because it's kind of a given that employees will need it now and then. Also, I am frequently surprised to find out people are on anti-depressants who I never suspected. Considering that anti-depressants are the most frequently prescribed medications in the U.S., you have to assume that there are a lot of people on them that you don't know about.

Secondly, I was just thinking about how my great-grandmother was kept locked in a bedroom in the family home while going through menopause..Apparently, she suffered from depression and anxiety, and had what was known then as a "nervous breakdown." This was in the 1910's era. (Think Jane Eyre--talk about a movie adding to the stigma of mental illness! hello.)(the book treated the subject a bit more humanely, but let's face it, the Bronte sisters were always throwing in horrificly tortured characters to spice up their books--quite effectively, I might add) Anyway, my great-grandmother could have benefited from medication and therapy available to me today! But, instead was locked away til she "got better." According to my grandmother, "she never was much of a happy person," even after, and didn't live long. So, we have something to be glad about, at least, that we're not suffering like that, locked up by our families. :) Anyway, it helps me to think about it like that.

#5 nossri4me

nossri4me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:24 AM

I did it. I have a desk job though. Don't think I could have done physical work. I took me a full eight days to feel better. I was lucky I could hide in my office most of the time though and avoid people, meetings and difficult tasks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users