2 replies to this topic

#1 davincisoprano1

davincisoprano1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:42 PM

Hi all... I'm new here.
I came across this board searching cymbalta withdrawal....

I have been on cymbalta since 10th grade (about 4 years now) and at the time I was in a deep depression and I won't lie that the Cymbalta DID help at the beginning.
I was depressed because I was overweight and I was overweight because I was depressed.... what a catch 22...

My doc put me on cymbalta and should've taken me off a few months later but decided to keep me on through the transition to college. Well I'm going into my junior year and mom and i decided enough is enough.
We saw a psychiatrist (whose daughter ironically goes to my school) who said my doctor was stupid to keep me on it as long as he did. So she gave me the go ahead to go off it. She put me on Deplin which is supposed to help with the withdrawal and aid your body in creating seratonin whereas cymbalta only opens the pathways.... I'm still on wellbutrin which i may or may not stay on.... we'll see how everything goes after going off cymbalta.
I have had two or three other episodes of withdrawal in the past where i just didn't go pick up my medication and went about a week without it and was on the verge of killing myself. Needless to say this time around isn't nearly as bad (I think the Deplin helps)

I've been weaning for about 2 weeks now (doesn't seem that long!) but I'm really feeling the effects. I also notice that when i DO take it I feel WORSE.... so right now I'm going onto day 6 without it. I've been über lightheaded and last night started getting the brain zaps.... they come and go.....

so does the lightheadedness.... and I haven't lost weight yet. Go figure. :D
But it's kept me from doing all I can at the gym too since I've been lightheaded.

I know it's probably not the best idea but I'm trying to go as long as I can.

For those who have gone off it (and those who did cold turkey) how long did it take you to fully get off it?

<3

#2 davincisoprano1

davincisoprano1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:26 PM

well i finally hit the point where my emotions went rampant. Worst part it was in front of my roommate.
I was trying to fix the internet to no avail so i stressed then started bawling (it was late so i couldn't call comcast and get any help.... i tried believe me) and then got SO frustrated I started hitting my cell phone against my head. Which in turn caused my screen on the phone to crack and go black.
I'm laughing reading this because it just sounds SO ridiculous.
I told verizon it just stopped working and I had no clue why. Thank god there was no phone shaped bruise on my forehead.
Then verizon "fixed it" by giving me a new phone transferring my numbers and then my pictures as well. I told them to do just the numbers but they didn't listen so I was stuck there for over an hour while this was taking place and ended up being a half hour late to my meeting. And i couldn't call the girl in charge bc lo and behold when they "fixed" it and "activated" it it didn't activate. Next day went and had them look at it again and had a guy who was more competent.
Phone finally worked. Went to get myself some teryaki chicken and rice (which was delicious since I hadn't eaten much that day) and went to borders to get a book.

The nausea is gone for the most part. I'm now just absentmindedly eating. THOUGH I do work to stop myself.
I'm worried I'm sending myself into another spiral though and I'm working to break it. (bulimia)

I am able to get to the gym but I can only do about 30-40 mins max whereas a few weeks ago I was going 50-60 mins cardio... I'm gonna put it down as I've been going off cymbalta and my body is still adjusting a bit.

Mom finally made me put my scale away because my weight is still such an issue for me. I hate talking about it because it does make me cry. I KNOW I'm not as big as I feel I am but it's hard looking into a mirror and seeing something you know you're not.
I'm hoping this subsides once I'm going to classes full time come monday (given fay doesn't mess anything up) and I won't have as easy as a time to eat... Plus I have to actually go BUY it. haha.
I'd rather put my money towards a cup of coffee and bring a Clif bar with me.

This kinda ended up being a journal entry.... whoops....

OH I did for the first time today start and finish something (digital painting). I got so lost in it I looked at my clock and three hours had gone by. I haven't done that in YEARS and when I say years I don't think that's really ever happened...

#3 davincisoprano1

davincisoprano1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:31 PM

I forgot to add, when I went to get the phone fixed my emotions were running rampant and i opened my mailbox to find a card from my little sister.

"Shoot for the moon Shauna. Even if you miss you'll land among the stars. I love you so much and I miss you lots. I just wanted to say that I am incredibly proud of you for how you're handling everything. I know what it feels like to think everything is going wrong. Just remember that it will be worse before it gets better. Right now you're in the worst part, so now things can only get better. If you get mad just imagine a candle in front of you and blow the flame out slowly. It really does help. Trust me." (she then talked about her day etc).

I just sat in my car and bawled. But it was a good cry where I realized this was only temporary and that it will get better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users