2 replies to this topic

#1 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:13 PM

While on Cymbalta, I went through a period of compulsive, out of control, shopping (for things I didn't need) which led to massive credit card debt. The debt is still there and will be for quite some time. However, I recently took on two extra part-time jobs to help me with my finances. I am hoping this will help me get caught up and start paying down my debt. In the fog of Cymbalta, I didn't have the mental energy to think about coming up with a solution to my financial problems. I am very happy at this point just to be able to think clearly about this problem, and to now have the mental and physical energy to take on extra work to help me earn more money.

There is something about Cymbalta that triggers compulsive behavior in some people. I say this because several people on here have talked about the compulsive shopping, and on another site, I have read stories about people who gambled compulsively while on Cymbalta. One person described the "need" to gamble while on this drug, and then as soon as she quit taking it, that feeling was completely gone almost immediately. So, something about this drug is affecting that part of our brain. Scary!!

#2 iliao93

iliao93

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCamby IN
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawals

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:40 PM

Yes, Houdi, even tho I'm still in the taper stage my compulsive spending is way better. I wouldn't say it's gone altogether, but definately getting under control. And that my friends was another main reason for my wanting to stop taking this poison. My spending got so bad it almost cost us our home. We are now paying for my behavior by making double mortgage pmts. We just got through paying massive monthly pmts. on our gas bill from the winter! This has been extremely stressful for me as on top of the guilt I can't help feeling, I had to completely quit working last October. We really depended on my income to make it. I was trying to see a therapist but couldn't afford the deductable & weekly charge to do it. So I am rsesigned to having to do everything the hard way. This all really tried to beat me down, we were forced through eminent domain to sell our paid off home 4 years ago. Now we have a new 30 year mortgage. The state was buying so many properties in our neighborhood that they essentually set the market value for the homes they bought. So needless to say we didn't get even near what we should have.
Oh dear, I feel a rant working up so I better nip it in the bud!
Be Well,
Bobbie

#3 Attorney_Victim

Attorney_Victim

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:05 PM

Houdi,
I'm no medical expert, but my theory is that Cymbalta affects the chemical process in the brain that triggers these obsessive/compulsive behaviors. Like I said, many others have reported this same side effect to varying degrees. Hopefully someday, independent researchers (not affiliated with Lilly) will do thorough research on the side effects of Cymbalta and explain exactly what areas of the brain are affected. Until then, all we can do is document, document, document our own experiences for future purposes!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users