Photo

Unbearable Symptoms since going off Cymbalta - please help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 curtisnh

curtisnh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:30 AM

I have been on Cymbalta for a short while, maybe 3-4 months for major depression. Decided to get off it after I resigned from my job due to personal reasons and try the natural coping method w/o drugs. I went up to a dosage of 90mg (3 capsules). My psych doctor would not instruct me how to get off the medication, probably for liability reasons. So I stopped the 90mg dose, going on 60mg (2 capsules) for a full week, then went on 30mg (1 capsule) for another week. Afterwards, I skipped a day and then took a final 30mg dose before going off completely. This morning marks day 6 of being off Cymbalta completely.

Initially, I felt very tired and irritable but that is not so much the case now. I have had to pass stool frequently and, this is the odd symptom that is difficult to explain... but I'd liken the feeling to pressure in my head, maybe light headiness is best word to describe, some dizziness. Some very brief flashes of feeling spacey, pulsating and a pre-fainting feeling. I don't feel any stabbing pain or feeling like electricity is running through my head, if I take the literal with the 'brain zaps' phrase.

A few questions:
1) Has anyone gone through the same thing as I did? If so, how long did it take you to feel better once you took your last dosage?
2) Now being 6 days off this evil drug, is there any harm in 'sucking it in' -- the symptoms, without reintroducing drug -- or would it be best to reintroduce drug and wean off at lower doses? Not sure if the symptoms are harmful, etc.

Doctor suggested I split capsule in half, going on 15mg for a while but I'd prefer not to mess with that kind of stuff and I'd rather not reintroduce the drug back in my system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 curtisnh

curtisnh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:50 AM

Greybeard,

Thank you for the warm welcome and the extensive response. I did some further reading on this forum and asked my psych doctor's substitute (she is out today) about the possibility of getting prescribed 1 or 2 Prozac pills for the longer half life if I have the terminology correct, to help the withdrawal symptoms be more bearable. I doubt he will do that, being a sub for my doctor but I'll wait and see what happens. I remember being on Wellbutrin first, then weaning off that while being introduced to Celexa (at same time) and had no withdrawal symptoms. I forget (no pun intended) how I weaned off Celexa and was introduced to Cymbalta. The first 2 didn't work for me and Cymbalta helped manage suicidal ideation due to rough times.

I just thought of something -- you recommended I do not run and do activities such as Yoga instead. In realization of the "runner's high" -- a natural high... and I don't know too much of this but wouldn't this help reintroduce a certain level of natural serotonin in the brain, and/or help restore the natural chemistry of the brain faster? Just a thought. If not, I might just walk vs. go running.

I'll also try reducing sugar intake, coffee, etc. as that will probably help. I do notice I feel better after sleeping and waking up in the morning but the head spins/sensations return after.

Are my symptoms pretty much the norm? I do not experience nausea, insomnia and some of the extreme ones. An aside - some people who experience insomnia may benefit from trying to go to sleep with an A/C on, or a fan on high as I do right now.

#3 curtisnh

curtisnh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

Thanks again for your reply. I called the psych doctor subbing for my normal psychiatrist this morning. I explained my situation/symptoms and history of tapering off the Cymbalta... I asked for a Prozac prescription due to the longer half-life and he seemed to fully understand the situation and agreed, further acknowledging it had been 6 days with the symptoms. He prescribed 30 20mg of Prozac (pharmacy gave me Fluoxetine HCL 20 MG capsules) -- assume it is the same thing. Was expecting to pay ~$100+ for the prescription (and was willing to!) and called pharmacy in concern while checking in on whether it had been filled... pharmacist jokingly said $700 and then $4 -- I guess some kind of price match thing with Wal-Mart. The doctor suggested I start tomorrow (day 7) on the Prozac, said it may take a few days to kick in and not to worry... stated it may take 2-3 weeks (he gave me 30 days worth though because it would be the same price regardless). I also asked him about a rumor I heard on YouTube... regarding brain zaps... specifically if my symptoms had done damage to my brain/brain nerves and he said no "but I bet it feels that way" -- he added brain chemistry is trying to get back to normal which is why the symptoms are there. He further stated Prozac, with it's long half life should prevent any kind of withdrawal symptoms at all and that I could simply stop taking 20mg of Prozac after the 2-3 weeks. I'll try to follow-up with an update around this time or when I feel better.

If anyone is not happy with their Psychiatrist/doctor in the So. NH area and wants a referral -- to someone that understands/acknowledges situation, I'd be happy to provide you with the above person's name. (Hoping at the time of writing this post that his confirmation of my research makes me feel better!)

#4 curtisnh

curtisnh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:16 PM

Here's a quick update. I had a slight headache for 3 days starting Saturday after I started taking Prozac. Probably a coincidence. Doc said it was OK for me to take Tylenol. After 3 days, headache subsided and now it's barely noticable, if there at all. Just feeling tired right now, feel like I'm in a daze sometimes but also feel an odd feeling of being able to focus on things which I've found difficult in the past. Also feel happier.

#5 curtisnh

curtisnh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:08 AM

Just a quick update. I went on 2 weeks of Prozac (generic 20mg)... been off it for some time. I get a headache every once in a while but it might also be attributable to how I also eat very unhealthy. I notice what may best be described as a pulsating emptiness in my head sometimes but not too often and it's barely noticeable. I assume that will stop after 2 months or so. An aside - but does anyone know what the medical term is for this sensation? Also another sensation I've noticed is hearing what sounds like fluid zip from one part of the head to another (split second) -- also happens rarely... asked a friend and she mentioned that occasionally happens to her as well so it might be common and I seem to remember that happening before I went on Cymbalta... so is just a curiosity.

#6 curtisnh

curtisnh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:22 PM

Just thought I'd check-in to see if anyone may have any info on this. I am basically OK at this point, mostly feel a 'fullness' feeling in my head and occasionally get a headache 2-3 times a week right now, which goes away with 2 500mg extra strength Tylenol. Do have a lot of stress in my life now too, which may or may not be connected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users