• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nurse

nurse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:49 AM

I am an Oncology RN in a rural hospital. Started on Cymbalta a year and a half ago becuase I felt I could not control my anger. I have been on Lexapro and Effexor in the past with poor response mainly becuase of the rotten sexual side effects. After my hospital went through some internal changes my job focus changed and my stress level was cut in half. I now feel that I no longer need to be on Cymbalta. I have tried once before to wean off, but as everyone here knows, the side effects are horrible. I thought it was just me being me. My wife is very supportive and I choose to stay on the 60mg daily dose. Well, things change and I don't want to take this any more, and the more I read about Cymbalta, the more I want to get off of it.

I took 30mg last night instead of 60mg. My nausea is tolerable, but already I feel foggy. My wife does not know that I'm doing this and she asked me what was wrong this morning. Maybe it's wrong to leave her in the dark, but I want to know what mental changes I go through over the weaning period and need a non-bias opinion. The only thing I really am worrid about is if my anger comes back. Then what do I do?
-T

#2 nurse

nurse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:01 PM

I'm sure I will get through it. Thanks for the reply.

The only reason I started Cymbalta is to control my temper. It seemed to really help, but so many things were changing for me personally and professionally that it's hard to imagine Cymbalta could take credit for all of it. My biggest fear is that I will become a jerk again. I have a 2 and 4 year old and when I'm not a work, I have them until the weekend when my wife is off as well. Great kids, but trying on my patience at times. Don't want to be one of those dads you see in Walmart yelling at his kids for being kids.

Guess I'll just see how things progress. Don't have much of a choice besides staying on the drug, and I don't want to take anything else right now.

Thanks
-T

#3 nurse

nurse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:18 PM

Been off Cymbalta for 18 days now. Unfortunetly, the temper has come back. This was the reason why I started Cymbalta in the first place. I figure this would be as good of place as any to ask about other meds..Prozac, Lexapro...I'll be talking with my Dr tomorrow and I've done tons of research on different meds. I have even talked with several patients of mine. Just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts that might help me.

I have never felt "depressed". What happens with me is for no reason at all, when I wake up in the morning I'm mad, and ready to rip some heads off. I hate the feeling. My wife and kids get barked at by me all day long. I've tried everything in my power to focus the energy elsewhere but that, so far, has been unsuccessful. Working 12hr shifts, don't really have the energy to workout when I get home, and on my days off I have the kids until my wife comes home. There again, chasing a 2 and 4 year old around the house all day almost wears me out more than work. I don't smoke, and I've cut back on drinking over the last few months to maybe a beer or two a week. Don't know what else I can do to help besides getting back on a medication which I don't want to do. Feels like I don't have a choice. Wifey wants me to join one of the martial arts programs, but just like every other blue collared family, we are pinching every penny and I just don't have the money. Any suggestions. I am open to anything at this point. Thank you.
-T

#4 nossri4me

nossri4me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

Good Luck with your withdrawal I posted under "weaning off Cymbalta" if you want to know what my experience was. You'll make it, but don't get nervous about anger sx during the immediate withdrawal period. I am pretty laidback and I became impossibly irritable and edgy for about a week. My family hid when I got home. :evil:

In the long run- if "the anger comes back"....you can start now to plan daily activities that help you cope...as lazy as we get, I believe daily exercise is vastly overlooked. My long walks after work (four miles in an hour) helps me unwind tremendously. Figure out what helps you. It isnt easy but it is worthwhile.

I have also heard the best reading on this for men is a book titled "The Irritable Male Syndrome: Understanding and Managing the 4 Key Causes of Depression and Aggression" by Jed Diamond. Its on Amazon.com. Have not read it myself but may be worth checking out.

I am not happy with how the mental health field has us all turning to drugs for the entire answer to our problems. Cymbalta helped me when I was severly clinically depressed, thank God it did. But it's up to me to do want I have to on a daily basis to remain mentally healthy too.

#5 nurse

nurse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:17 PM

Good Luck with your withdrawal I posted under "weaning off Cymbalta" if you want to know what my experience was. You'll make it, but don't get nervous about anger sx during the immediate withdrawal period. I am pretty laidback and I became impossibly irritable and edgy for about a week. My family hid when I got home. :evil:

In the long run- if "the anger comes back"....you can start now to plan daily activities that help you cope...as lazy as we get, I believe daily exercise is vastly overlooked. My long walks after work (four miles in an hour) helps me unwind tremendously. Figure out what helps you. It isnt easy but it is worthwhile.

I have also heard the best reading on this for men is a book titled "The Irritable Male Syndrome: Understanding and Managing the 4 Key Causes of Depression and Aggression" by Jed Diamond. Its on Amazon.com. Have not read it myself but may be worth checking out.

I am not happy with how the mental health field has us all turning to drugs for the entire answer to our problems. Cymbalta helped me when I was severly clinically depressed, thank God it did. But it's up to me to do want I have to on a daily basis to remain mentally healthy too.

Thanks for the support. Maybe I should have the wifey hide in the closet :roll:

I'll check out that book, couldn't hurt right?
-T

#6 nossri4me

nossri4me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:53 PM

Yeah, you could have your wife see if the local library has it. Ask her to pick it up for you if you feel dumb about getting it yourself.You may get a good idea or two...an open mind helps you learn alittle something. Then again, the book could be total BS. Lol, who knows?? I guess thats the point.
None of us asks for the burden of having to deal with anxiety, depression, anger, it just happens. Sucks it happened to us...why couldn't we be struggling with the demands of handling a multi-million dollar inheritance?
(I understand all about work demands and financial pressure, I am a divorced mom working two jobs.)You are lucky to have a supportive wife who is willing to work with you on things. I hope you do the same for her. People stop trying in relationships way too fast these days. There is no perfection out there.

Personally, I am abit angry at myself at having become dependent on medication to help me cope with life. Until I fully came off it, I did not realize how powerful a drug it was. Xanax is nowhere near as strong as this stuff. I wonder why docs dont talk to us about getting off this stuff at some point?
I think alot of us have lost our way...we truely need to figure out what helps us to to feel less angry or less anxious and follow through with it every day. There's no more time for the self, we exist just to get by. What have we done to ourselves?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users