Photo

The Solution to Cymbalta Withdrawals! Finally! Yay!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mff1485

mff1485

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:05 AM

Hi,

I have been weaning myself off of the dreaded Cymbalta for the past 3 months or so after being on the drug at the low-dose of 30mg for only 6 months. My mother was also on the drug for a month or two more than me, but at a higher dose. I have the terrible 'brain shocks, zaps, shivers' that everyone talks about- I call it like 'trippin' or my time lapses. Anyway, my mom has found a great solution to the side effects from withdrawals. The amino acids: L-Theanine, L-Tryptophan, GABA calm, Coffea Cruda, and Restless Legs all designed to help alleviate the sore muscles, random bad moods, panic attacks, insomnia, and generally bring you back to normal. I have tried so far, L-theanine and L-tryptophan and they already help me so much- I am feeling more like myself again and have less and less of the brain zaps. You should take 3 or so L-theanine pills a day- one in the morning, one in the afternoon and one at night on an empty stomach to really feel the effects. I weigh abut 115 lbs, so if you weigh more or less, perhaps you should take different amounts to see how your body reacts. Please share this information with everyone you know who is withdrawing from Cymbalta- it really HELPS!

Mary :o

#2 mctmdream

mctmdream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but what are amino acids? When and how do you buy them? Do you need a prescription? How do you use them? Are you on risk of any side effects?
I'm very ineterested in trying anything that helps with the Cymbalta Withdrawal but I'm cautious not to get hooked on anything worse.
Please talk more about the use of these supplements.

Thank you!!! and good for you!!!

#3 iliao93

iliao93

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCamby IN
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawals

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:24 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but what are amino acids? When and how do you buy them? Do you need a prescription? How do you use them? Are you on risk of any side effects?
I'm very ineterested in trying anything that helps with the Cymbalta Withdrawal but I'm cautious not to get hooked on anything worse.
Please talk more about the use of these supplements.

Thank you!!! and good for you!!!

Hey, all of us here are just learning! Thanks for the question...I had never looked that one up before so you helped me learn something new today ;) Below is what I found, if you want more just put amino acids in any search engine( like google).

Amino acids
Group of organic compounds, basic constituents of proteins. (Babylon translator)

An '''essential amino acid ''' or '''indispensable amino acid''' is an [[amino acid]] that cannot be synthesized '' (Wikipedia)

Definition: The building blocks of proteins.
There are 20 different amino acids. Amino acids are linked together to form small chains of amino acids. These chains link together to form proteins.

Of the 20 amino acids, 11 can be synthesized in the body. That leaves nine amino acids that you need to get directly from your diet. Those nine amino acids are called "essential amino acids.

http://nutrition.abo... ... o_acid.htm

#4 mff1485

mff1485

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:14 AM

Hello all,

I'm sorry I have not written back in a timely manner, but here is my reply to the questions about amino acids. You don't need an Rx for them- you need to go to a good health food or dietary needs store and talk to the people that work there. Find a high quality brand of both L-theanine and L-tryptophan because there was a bad batch out a few years ago from a Japanese company. Make sure you understand how to take them and what you can expect. I actually don't know a whole lot about amino acids myself, except what I learned in biology class in high school, which was a long time ago. However, I've tried to refresh my memory and talk to people who work in health food stores.

Basically, these amino acids like L-theanine and L-tryptophan are things naturally found in the body (they are what make up proteins- which makes up our entire body "building blocks of nature" as they call them) and in things such as food- prime example is L-tryptophan. Remember how most people joke about getting sleepy on Thanksgiving after eating turkey...well, its because L-tryptophan is found in turkey and causes people to get very calm and sleepy. I take L-tryptophan right before bed and it keeps me asleep all night. To sum it all up- from taking Cymbalta, we have messed with our Seratonin levels that make us happy and calm and not irritable. now that we are depleted, our body is down and sad and irrationally upset. I have no explanation for the "brain zaps" and other side effects, but the low energy and sleeplessness, restlessness, irritability and even for me- the brain zaps have reduced to a minimum. After two weeks on these amino acids, I feel like my old self again. I know I should use a more professional site than Wikipedia, but for now, I'll quote passages I found helpful:

"Amino acids, including tryptophan, act as building blocks in protein biosynthesis...In addition, tryptophan functions as a biochemical precursor for the following compounds: Serotonin (a neurotransmitter)... Serotonin, in turn, can be converted to melatonin...It is particularly plentiful in chocolate, oats, bananas, mangoes, dried dates, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, red meat, eggs, fish, poultry, sesame, chickpeas, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, spirulina, and peanuts. It is also found in turkey at a level typical of poultry in general."

"Many people found tryptophan to be a safe and reasonably effective sleep aid, probably due to its ability to increase brain levels of serotonin (a calming neurotransmitter when present in moderate levels) and/or melatonin (a sleep-inducing hormone secreted by the pineal gland in response to darkness or low light levels). In particular, tryptophan has been showing considerable promise as an antidepressant alone, and as an "augmenter" of antidepressant drugs."

"serotonin plays an important role as a neurotransmitter in the modulation of anger, aggression, body temperature, mood, sleep, sexuality, appetite, and metabolism...Drugs targeting serotonin-induced pathways are being used in the treatment of many psychiatric disorders, and one focus of clinical research is the influence of genetics on serotonin action and metabolism in psychiatric settings. Such studies have revealed that the variation in the promoter region of the serotonin transporter protein accounts for nearly 10% of total variance in anxiety-related personality, and the effect of this gene on depression was found to interact with the environment"

"Theanine has been shown to reduce mental and physical stress, may produce feelings of relaxation and improves cognition and mood when taken in combination with caffeine. Theanine increases brain serotonin, dopamine, GABA levels and has micromolar affinities for AMPA, Kainate and NMDA receptors.L-theanine may help the body's immune response to infection by boosting the disease-fighting capacity of gamma delta T cells."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theanine

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Tryptophan

Please do your own research and find what's best for you. If you do decide to use these amino acids, they are not addictive or harmful to the body. But use your best judgment and do everything in moderation. Take it easy and don't overdo anything. Last week, I took 5-6 L-theanine pills throughout the day and this week, i'm taking 3-4. I just don't feel the brain zaps as much anymore and don't feel that 'hungover' feeling in the mornings, so I don't need the amino acids as much. If I'm feeling stressed, or know I will be in a crowded place, I take one just to make sure I don't have a panic attack. Take them as you need them and see how your body responds. Listening to your body is the best way to judge which way you need to go.

Hope this helps. Sorry I didn't explain more last time. :(

#5 iliao93

iliao93

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCamby IN
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawals

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:34 PM

Glad your finding some things to try! There are many places to find help....this is one.

#6 iliao93

iliao93

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCamby IN
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawals

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:10 PM

Thought I'd check in again after weeks...haha...you spammers are only spamming each other! Get a clue...no one comes here any longer because of you...so spam each other away!!!!

#7 Alkhemist

Alkhemist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:54 PM

Thank God I found this site! I was on a doctor-recommended wean-off plan and was told that I "shouldn't have any problem." HA! I went from 60mgs to 30mgs and was okay except for chronic nausea, which I didn't realize until I found this forum what was causing it. Then last week, I went down from one 30mgs pill every other day, and then stopped completely two days ago. This is WAY TOO FAST! I've been feeling terrible and had no idea why until I thought to do a search for Cymbalta withdrawal (which I wasn't told about). BINGO! Every symptom you folks listed is what I have.

How long does this last?

Alkhemist

#8 bethanne

bethanne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

Wow, sure glad I found this post and this site!
I've been weaning off Cymbalta 60 mg, then 30mg and every other day to nothing this last week. The effects have been really bad today.......brain zaps, headaches, sweats, lethargy and craving sugar! I'll give the Amino Acids a try.......thanks!

#9 bethanne

bethanne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

Thanks Houdi.........so appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users