• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigjee

bigjee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:21 PM

After 5 years on Zoloft and 3 years on Cymbalta, I have successfully tapered off of Cymbalta. However, this method takes 8 weeks and if you're not in an immediate rush to get off of Cymbalta, then this is the method that will give you the least withdrawal symptoms.

Here is how I did it. The whole process takes 8 weeks and you are going to be pouring out a little bit of the medicine each day until there is finally nothing but 1/10th of the medicine in the capsule.

I only have 60mg capsules and for 30-days (one refill period), I started dumping the granules inside the capsule into the sink. First, I slid apart the capsule, and started pouring out a little bit of medicine at a time. Inside the capsules are little balls of medicine.

Buy the end of the eighth week I had only the capsule's shell, and 5-7 tiny balls of medicine at the bottom, around 6.5mg (10% of capsule).

Now, here was the icky part. When you go from 10% capsule to 0%, you may feel some discomfort. You may have feeling of light-headedness, or 'brain zaps' as they are called by users in this forum. When they happen, you'll know what I mean.

If you start experiencing 'brain zaps' take a 25mg Benadryl to alleviate symptoms. I experienced around 6 days of discomfort at the very end of the program. "The body has a hard time letting go of Cymbalta, apparently."

Worked like a champ. I am medicine free for the first time in 8 years. Yay! I hope this helps you. Know that it will get better; the symptoms you are experiencing are bio-chemically related so you have to keep that in mind at all times.

#2 tamatola

tamatola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:57 AM

Good for you!!! I like your advice; I am glad to know there are little balls in the capsule instead of powder. I was wondering how I was gonna divide the powder. Now I know it won't be so hard. When I finish my 30 mgs, I will begin the "emptying process" too and go down a little each day. I'm like you; I figure I've been on stuff for 10 years, a couple months to get off of it isn't so bad.

I hope you do well without meds. I think sometimes we just get so dependent on that medicine taking care of the problem, that we don't deal with the cause. I know that's how I did. I just wanted someting to make it all go away. Now I am older and more mature and ready to fight whatever lies ahead!

Again, congrats to you and thanks for the advice!

Tammy

#3 perrypool

perrypool

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:12 PM

Congrats on your success! You are where I plan to be! I'm currently down to 15mgs a day and soon as I feel better I will cut that to 0mgs. May I ask what you were taking Cymbalta for? I'm taking it for anxiety and panic attacks. I can't wait to be med free. Thank you for your story... it is very inspiring!

Perry

#4 bigjee

bigjee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:17 AM

Congrats on your success! You are where I plan to be! I'm currently down to 15mgs a day and soon as I feel better I will cut that to 0mgs. May I ask what you were taking Cymbalta for? I'm taking it for anxiety and panic attacks. I can't wait to be med free. Thank you for your story... it is very inspiring!

Perry

I worked for Enron Corporation from 1997 - 2000 and had all of my life savings tied up in my 401k with them. I lost everything.

The Settlement? I got a check from Enron about 2 years ago for $39. I lost about $1.5m. That's what started the whole thing.... :oops:

#5 bigjee

bigjee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:44 AM

Wow. It's been a while since I took my last Cymbalta. The brain zaps are 100% gone. There hasn't been a single one.
I was worried that I had some how permanently scarred the neuro pathways. I am happy to report that the well-engineered human brain recovers nicely and started again outputting ALL neurotransmitters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users