• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JeffAtl

JeffAtl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:37 AM

I went off this a few months ago and am more depressed than ever before. I'm so sick of this. I need to take something, but what? The only reason I went off Cymbalta was weight gain and more importantly, it stopped working. So now I'm wanting to call my doctor about Zoloft, Effexor, or Lexapro. Which is best? Zoloft supposedly helps with extreme shyness, which seems like it would help me a lot. Shyness is a major side effect from having no confidence, which I don't. What to do???

Thanks,

Jeff

#2 nossri4me

nossri4me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

The only med you list that I was on besides Cymbalta was Lexapro. I recall 10mg was the average dose, I took 15mg, mostly for an anxiety discorder. It worked very well with my only problem being it made me tired; I would nap any chance I got.
Make your appointment soon, no need to try to soldier on thru a depression....your doc should be able to help you decide.
N

#3 MarianContrarian

MarianContrarian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:21 PM

Be really careful about Lexapro - I have been struggling with Cymbalta for almost two years now and I tried Lexapro for about a week last year when I started building a tolerance to the Cymbalta and decided to try other drugs... I am a normally very kind and helpful person, generally the sort of person to go out of their way to help someone else with anything , however, during the single week i was on Lexapro I was violently angry and extremely hungry all the time. I was working customer service in a retail store at the time and I was seriously afraid I was going to physically lash out at a customer more than once. Wellbutrin gave me terrible tremors (which is no good because i am an artist and graphic designer), and Zoloft made me feel more depressed than I was before I took it. I have problems with recurrent anxiety, social anxiety, and extreme feelings of worthlessness that i have dealt with ever since I was a child. I only decided to go on medication when a bout of depression began to intrude so deeply into my life that I began to have panic attacks for no reason. Now, as i write this i am suffering greatly from Cymbalta withdraw even after two weeks of stepping down the dosage and I am not sure what to do for myself, but I just wanted to warn you about my experience with Lexapro.

#4 milinda

milinda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:27 AM

I can tell you effexor is in the same class as cymbalta and will do the same. wellbutrin is about the only one out there with less weight and sexual side effects. milinda

#5 JeffAtl

JeffAtl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:05 PM

Out of desperation I started Lexapro 10mg about 4 days ago. No difference so far and no side effects. Not sure how long it will take to notice a change. There may be a slight elevation in my mood, but only slight so far.

#6 mytwohands

mytwohands

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • why_joining:
    Because cymbalta sucks & I feel terrible.

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

If you do not want to experience the same withdrawal side effects as Cymbalta, I wouldn't recommend Effexor. Its side effects are just as bad (brain shivers, etc).

#7 MichelleK

MichelleK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    I'm quitting cymbalta very soon and need some support

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:42 PM

I went from Paxil to Cymbalta since it had the least amount of side effects. Weight gain was the primary reason for taking this over the Paxil. Definatly find something easy to get off of when you are ready. So many of these are difficult.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users