15 replies to this topic

#1 max211

max211

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Hello,

I am on day 8 or 9 since my last pill.  Today was a little better - brain zaps not as bad and the nausea wasn't as bad either.

I am sure there are many out there that have tried to explain to someone what the brain zaps feel and sound like.  Most people look at me like I am crazy.  I tell them unless you have been through it, you would not understand  :wub:

The closest thing I can come to is telling them it sounds like a salt shaker, shaking salt.   Sometimes it's one or two at a time and sometimes it's a "rapid fire" mode.

I have even gone so far as to find this page online that has salt shaker sound effects:

http://www.pond5.com...alt shaker.html

The closest thing I could find was the sound on the top row, second one from the left.

Since you all have been through the brain zaps and understand, I would like to hear how you describe the sound you hear in your head.

Thanks  :rolleyes:

#2 deb55

deb55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    after three years on Cymbalta, I decided to stop taking this vile drug cold turkey. I need a support group

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

Brain zaps.....  Yuck I am on day 11, I think.  Today is one of my bad days that I fell I have regressed in my withdrawal.....   So tired and worn out.  Trying to work everyday and maintain normalcy is wearing me out..

I liken my my brain zaps to this:  my brain is a bug zapper and as each insect comes to the light Zap!!!  Like electrial bolts..   They have lessened, but this withdrawal is taking it's toll on me...

#3 Heartfeathers

Heartfeathers

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • why_joining:
    I no longer trust the medical profession and I will NEVER take another prescription drug again! NEVER!!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Brain zaps.....  Yuck I am on day 11, I think.  Today is one of my bad days that I fell I have regressed in my withdrawal.....   So tired and worn out.  Trying to work everyday and maintain normalcy is wearing me out..

I liken my my brain zaps to this:  my brain is a bug zapper and as each insect comes to the light Zap!!!  Like electrial bolts..   They have lessened, but this withdrawal is taking it's toll on me...

Hang in there sweetie. It gets better.  Hang in.   

#4 deb55

deb55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    after three years on Cymbalta, I decided to stop taking this vile drug cold turkey. I need a support group

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Hang in there sweetie. It gets better.  Hang in.   

Thanks so much for your support and kind words.  Having two days off work really helped.   I feel so much better today - much more clarity :D  I know that once I become mentally taxed, the withdrawal will become more uncomfortable, but I will take every ray of sunshine I can and bask in it through this process...

#5 OffMyMeds

OffMyMeds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

Mine sound like when you're listening to an AM radio and lightning strikes in the distance. (I went 30-20-10-0 over a course of 2 weeks. I'm now on day 6 at 0)

If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't know what to call them!

#6 CymbaltaCrap

CymbaltaCrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:
    To find support and information regarding the weaning off Cymbalta. Also to help and support others in similar situations.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:09 AM

What my head and body feel when I had brain zaps was that my head and body don't move together. That my body would move one way and it would take while for my head to catch up... That's how I explain it to people...

#7 michaelpinson

michaelpinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

I am 21 days since my last capsule and I am barely noticing the zaps. They are definitely getting less severe and I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Anyone who is having a really hard time, all I can say is it will get better. Drinking lots of water, exercise, and eating regular meals really does help. I got that advice on this forum and it is sound. No lies, there were some rough days (and nights); but if you really need to be free of this medicine, you CAN do it. Hang in there!

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Congrats MP!!! Good job.

#9 lovemymocha

lovemymocha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:17 AM

Mine "sound" like the sound made on Law and Order when they show the next location where the scene is taking place!  It's not the sound, but still describes the sensation, as everyone here agrees it's so hard to describe!

#10 DRtailspin

DRtailspin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Deb55,

Thank you!  Finally someone who explained what I've been feeling.  I have been taking Cymbalta for about 3 years, a consistent 30mg dosage.  I decided to stop and started weening myself by skipping every other day...didn't know what else to try.  So after a week of that I just stopped.  Today is about day 3 of nothing and the brain zaps were freaking me out.  Of course I didn't realize what was going on until I started searching for related symptoms, which led me to this forum.

I'm sure if I went to my Dr. he would say I need to gradually ween off, but I'm ready to bite the bullet and be done with it...unless the zaps get worse.  Do they?

Also, my other symptoms are just like others here: very tired, lifeless, unfocused and generally feeling like crap.

Thanks  all for your input.

#11 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

Welcome DRtailspin

You are in the worst of it now so it is up to you.

I would suggest some mega doses of omega 3 and a supplement called L-theanine (make sure its suntheanine)

If it gets to be too much then the capsules come apart and you can take out about 1/2 of the beads to try to stabilize yourself.

Take a look at the bead counting method on this site as that is a method that works well for most people.

You can get off of this terrible drug and this is the best place for support in doing it that I know.

Take care

Nancy

#12 Heartfeathers

Heartfeathers

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • why_joining:
    I no longer trust the medical profession and I will NEVER take another prescription drug again! NEVER!!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

YOU CANNOT TAKE CYMBALTA EVERY OTHER DAY!!  The half life is too short.   You are continually throwing yourself back into cold turkey withdrawls.   Please listen to Nancy and start bead counting.   

#13 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

I always worry about the ones that come online and tell you how they are and then they don't come back. DRtailspin did come back the next day, but did not login after that. I wonder how he/she made out.

Take care of you DRtailspin

and you too Heartfeathers

#14 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:
    to share my experience and to ask for help

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

What my head and body feel when I had brain zaps was that my head and body don't move together. That my body would move one way and it would take while for my head to catch up... That's how I explain it to people...

that's how I explain it too

#15 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

I like that one too chimera.

You sound like you are doing great. Awesome

#16 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:
    to share my experience and to ask for help

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

I like that one too chimera.

You sound like you are doing great. Awesome

hey:) hanging in there, itching/burning still there but a bit more under control. still swearing like a trooper! hope you are doing ok and enjoying catching up on that much needed sleep 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users