Photo

Going To Begin "cold Turkey" Tomorrow & Scared As Hell!

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#31 CymbaltaCrap

CymbaltaCrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:
    To find support and information regarding the weaning off Cymbalta. Also to help and support others in similar situations.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:39 AM

haha! Unless of course you're on your own at home, then it could become rather boring! :P

#32 George1970

George1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationPaisley, Scotland
  • why_joining:
    To find out if I am the only person lost on this drug and to help others in the same position

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

I can see the labido levels are rising for a couple of our members !! Lol

#33 CymbaltaCrap

CymbaltaCrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:
    To find support and information regarding the weaning off Cymbalta. Also to help and support others in similar situations.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:53 AM

haha!

#34 George1970

George1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:
    To find out if I am the only person lost on this drug and to help others in the same position

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

And so the bubble has burst !!! The last 12 hrs have been a total mare !! Vomiting, thumping head, shakes, general flu like symptoms, I knew I was getting it too easy !! Feel a bit better since I woke up but I really didn't enjoy that, I am taking it as a sign my body is dumping all that crap medicine so I am looking on it as a good thing...............god,I am great at this denial thing. !! Lol

#35 CymbaltaCrap

CymbaltaCrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:58 AM

Oh that's no good George1970! I had a few days like that last week also... Nausea, headaches, touch was strange, and shakes... But it did pass!! Remember that! It WILL pass!! Slow down if you need too. Stop taking out more and just go for a couple of days with taking out whatever you took out the previous day. 'slow and steady wins the race!'

#36 George1970

George1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:04 AM

Oh that's no good George1970! I had a few days like that last week also... Nausea, headaches, touch was strange, and shakes... But it did pass!! Remember that! It WILL pass!! Slow down if you need too. Stop taking out more and just go for a couple of days with taking out whatever you took out the previous day. 'slow and steady wins the race!'

Am "cold turkey" !! I think I am getting extremes both ways, I feel fantastic and then god awful !! i know it's just a faze I have to get through.............it's character building !! Lol

#37 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:33 AM

George

For that pounding head, get some L-theanine at a health food store. It works wonders, I know. GreenMachine recommends it.

It helps with anxiety and restlessness too.

Lemon Balm will help with the shakes as well. That is a herb that they usually have as a tea in most health food stores.

Get some omega 3 into you, eat ocean fish or buy a fish based capsule and get some ground flax or eat walnuts, this helps to detox your blood and raises your serotonin levels. Crapalta stopped your system from producing serotonin and these foods will help restore your natural production.

I had to double my dose of omega 3 yesterday as I had the brain zaps so bad.

The nausea can be reduced with the spice ginger (ginger ale can help too) and eating just a bit of food every couple of hours. Don't try to eat a big meal have smaller meals more often.

You hang in there, it will get better soon. You can beat that Crapalta.

Take care of you

Nancy

#38 George1970

George1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

It's bed time here and touch wood am coming out of a really rough couple of days !! This stuff should come with a health warning !! I hope all you out there in withdrawal land are staying strong .........I am !!

#39 InAFog

InAFog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

Please folks...please ask your doc for buspirone (Buspar) to help when weening off Cymbalta. I tried just cutting the dose and it was a nightmare. I ditched my PM and went to a neurologist who knew exactly what to do in this case. In my case...20mg Buspar twice daily and cut the cymbalta from 120 daily down to 60...30...20...then stop taking altogether. I was leery at first but found myself rejoicing at the very minimal manageable withdrawal symptoms. Please...ask your doctor for Buspar. It worked like a charm for me, I hope it does for you because I feel your misery.

#40 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

WARNING - do not read if you do not have a sense of humour. The author of this posting has a twisted sense of humour and is suffering from Crapalta Discontinuing Syndrome and cannot be held responsible (lol lol lol lol lol lol)

This whole conversation may not be politically correct and I apoligize in advance if I offended anyone as that was not my intent.

After rereading it I did think of not posting it, but then those of us who are still beading counting or cymbalta free and still struggling, will all see humour  that I intended.

InAFog - I fear you may have just replaced one problem with another.

Common BuSpar side effects may include

dizziness, headache, blurred vision        - so does Crapalta and I have that :(

drowsiness, feeling tired                         - yup this one too -_-  

feeling restless or nervous                     - and this one :(

nausea, dry mouth, upset stomach        - not as bad lately but still there    :wacko:        

sleep problems (insomnia), strange dreams - yup (did the same company make this too :angry:  )

stuffy nose, sore throat                                  - I thought my sore throat was sore from being so dry hmmmmmmmmmm 

ringing in your ears                                        - no but I have brain zaps, do they count :blink: ? 

Drug interaction warning: Buspar ↔ Cymbalta - combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome                                SO since most of us that are getting off Crapalta have that to some degree we would be ok? or worse?? :huh:

So I can get off Crapalta faster but then I have to get off another drug because my serotonin levels will still be too low. :rolleyes:

Thanks but no freaking way. :lol:

#41 George1970

George1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

WARNING - do not read if you do not have a sense of humour. The author of this posting has a twisted sense of humour and is suffering from Crapalta Discontinuing Syndrome and cannot be held responsible (lol lol lol lol lol lol)

This whole conversation may not be politically correct and I apoligize in advance if I offended anyone as that was not my intent.
After rereading it I did think of not posting it, but then those of us who are still beading counting or cymbalta free and still struggling, will all see humour  that I intended.

InAFog - I fear you may have just replaced one problem with another.

Common BuSpar side effects may include
dizziness, headache, blurred vision        - so does Crapalta and I have that :(
drowsiness, feeling tired                         - yup this one too -_-  
feeling restless or nervous                     - and this one :(
nausea, dry mouth, upset stomach        - not as bad lately but still there    :wacko:        
sleep problems (insomnia), strange dreams - yup (did the same company make this too :angry:  )
stuffy nose, sore throat                                  - I thought my sore throat was sore from being so dry hmmmmmmmmmm 
ringing in your ears                                        - no but I have brain zaps, do they count :blink: ? 

Drug interaction warning: Buspar ↔ Cymbalta - combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome                                SO since most of us that are getting off Crapalta have that to some degree we would be ok? or worse?? :huh:

So I can get off Crapalta faster but then I have to get off another drug because my serotonin levels will still be too low. :rolleyes:

Thanks but no freaking way. :lol:

Your a witch Nancy !! Lol

#42 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

Why thank you George

#43 George1970

George1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

Another day on and I feel bloody fantastic !! The ups and downs I am experiencing are nothing short of epic !! On a serious note this drug should really be looked at again, I really don't know if I am Arthur or Martha half the time !! Lol hang in there folks and keep the faith !!

#44 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

lol @ George

#45 CymbaltaCrap

CymbaltaCrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

haha!! You guys crack me up!! lol lol

#46 CymbaltaCrap

CymbaltaCrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for your good intentions InAFog. I hope you're doing ok!?

#47 George1970

George1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

I have an upside to withdrawing from this terrible drug, as I had decided to take control of my life and was full of determination I wanted to do positive things so joined the gym and went on a diet !! Fast forward a week and I have lost 13 lbs due to three things, some cardio, healthy eating and vomiting on a fairly regular basis due to medication withdrawal !! Lol feeling good just now but hope I don't crash like last time, hope you are all fairing well

#48 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Well that is  a tough way to loos weight!! Don't dehydrate.

#49 JukeGirl

JukeGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

This is my 2nd time coming off Cymbalta.  I was on it a few years ago for about a year or 2.  Decided to come off and went COLD TURKEY.  I was MISERABLE but made it through because i could take some time off.  This time just reducing has been bad.  After reading this sight I decided to do the bead count thing.  I took 7 out for a week and did fine.  I took 14 out starting Sunday and adding 7 more everyday since.  I can tell i'm coming down because of the fogginess and headache mid day but it's not too horrible.  Before I couldn't miss more than a day or I would be in the bed unable to get up.  I have been wanting to come off for a while but didn't want to go through the painful withdrawals.

I have been also taking a Pure Life Multi Vitamin (all natural, no filler, no persv and veggie capsule) and fish oil.  I do think it is helping but Damn this medicine.

I saw were someone had mentioned strange dreams.  I have had some of the strangest dreams EVER.  Some I have enjoyed   :wub:  and  some have been quite scary.

#50 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

Welcome JukeGirl!  Some other things I would like to recommend would be theanine (suntheanine brand) @ 100-200mg on an empty stomach which helps with a variety of the withdrawal symptoms, also meclizine helps with the zaps and dizziness as with most of the other antihistamines available OTC but I believe meclizine helps the most.  Stick around the forum...great people around here. 

#51 Mamanaka

Mamanaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

I just stopped taking Cymbalta today. I have been on 60mg for about 6 months and have been scared to stop after hearing about withdrawal symptoms. I'm so glad I found this site! Maybe with some support from a few people who've been there, I can do it.
I have suffered with depression for 30 years and fibromyalgia for 10. My PCP, who I've been seeing for over 20 yrs also thinks I'm bi-polar. He could be right. It runs in my family and I lost a sister to suicide 25 yrs ago.
Are there people out there who have stopped taking this drug without all the torture I've read about? I guess they wouldn't feel compelled to post about an uneventful experience. I'm just hoping I'll get lucky!
I live alone and I'm worried about my well-being and safety with withdrawal because I also have postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS).
Am I crazy to do this by myself without tapering off? I just don't want to drag it out for months.
I guess I'll know in the morning...wish me luck and THANK YOU for sharing your experiences. I might be calling it "Crapalta" by this time tomorrow!

#52 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Welcome Mamanaka

Well you are in the right place for support whatever way you decide to do it.

I did the quick drop from 60mg to 30mg all at once. It was rough enough to make me decide to taper from 30 down.

But I still did it fairly quick as it only took 29 days. 6 days at 30mg, then down about 1 mg a day after then at 8 or so mg said enough was enough and just stopped. It was doable (is that a word???? :P) but then I didn't really have to go anywhere as not working.

Hardest part has been headaches (get some L-theanine just make sure it is suntheanine it really helps) and anxiety. The pounding heart may be an issue for you if you are not careful.

Like I said though whatever way you decide to do it we are all here to help each other and it is a great place to vent :D

Take care of you

#53 Mamanaka

Mamanaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

Thank you lady2882Nancy! I will update tomorrow and hope for the best! I am experiencing some body aches (hips & legs) and feeling tired. I hope to God I can do this!

#54 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,895 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

Mamanaka, you can do this. Keeping this drug in your body, with all of its potential harh is a bad option. I read research that says that only 19-31% of peole who quit cymbalta have withdrawal. I also know several people who have went on and off cymbalta without any problems and I certainly hope you are one of those!! :) On the otherhand if not...we are here to help anyway we ccan. Keep us posted and stay in the saddle!!

#55 Mamanaka

Mamanaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

Thank you fishinghat! That stat makes me feel so much better. I am glad that some folks get off easier!
Lady2882Nancy, here's the update I promised...
I had a very disturbing evening and ended up taking my 60mg cap around 8pm. It started with widespread aches and pains, slight headache, eye pressure and zaps. Holy sh*t!!! Only took about 9 hrs after a skipped dose for me to realize I would need to taper to 30mg. I have ordered a new script for that.
When I woke this morning I had a huge blood vessel burst in my left eye! It looks awful! All I felt the night before was a little pain, pressure and itch. I didn't think I had even rubbed my eye that hard!
I will let you guys know when I get my new dosage and start on the 30mg.
THIS DRUG IS SCARY!!!!! And yes, it's better named "Crapalta".

#56 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

Mamanaka

I'm sorry to hear it didn't go so well. At least now you know, 

I know about the scratching as one night I was having a terrible time with an itchy calf and during the night I must have scratched really hard as I tore a small mole off the back of my calf. Those little things don't heal well at all and I have to keep a bandaid on it so that I don't tear it open again.

If you find you have problems with itchiness then get an antihistamine that is meant for skin reactions. I use hydroxyzine but that is by Rx and was something I already had.

Take care of you

Nancy

#57 Mamanaka

Mamanaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

I also wanted to add that last night as I was watching some tv and LOL/crying back and forth I thought: "this is what I read about!" And in the next instant: "I've been doing this for the last 6 mos!!!"

#58 George1970

George1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

Thank you fishinghat! That stat makes me feel so much better. I am glad that some folks get off easier!
Lady2882Nancy, here's the update I promised...
I had a very disturbing evening and ended up taking my 60mg cap around 8pm. It started with widespread aches and pains, slight headache, eye pressure and zaps. Holy sh*t!!! Only took about 9 hrs after a skipped dose for me to realize I would need to taper to 30mg. I have ordered a new script for that.
When I woke this morning I had a huge blood vessel burst in my left eye! It looks awful! All I felt the night before was a little pain, pressure and itch. I didn't think I had even rubbed my eye that hard!
I will let you guys know when I get my new dosage and start on the 30mg.
THIS DRUG IS SCARY!!!!! And yes, it's better named "Crapalta".

however you decide to go about your withdrawal mamanaka trust in yourself that it is definitely the right decision, I have went through cold turkey and it was by no means pleasant but I kept at it and think I am finally through the worst of it and I can tell you it is well worth a crap 2 to 3 weeks !! There are people on this site who will offer any advise you need and I can't thank the likes of fishinghat and nancy enough for the help they have given me. I have some similarities with you in the fact that I suffer with depression, stay alone, I am bi polar and I also have borderline personality disorder (am a nice guy really !! Lol) I also went cold turkey from 60mg, at the end of the day it's your choice how you come off this torture drug but you find there are great things waiting for you on the other side !! Stay strong and go for it girl !!

#59 Mamanaka

Mamanaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

Thank you George1970! I am really overwhelmed with the support you all have shown me! (In a good way!) I called my doc to get my script changed and hopefully he will be on board.
Actually just heard back as I was typing this and my doc says "yes"!!!!

#60 gargan4130

gargan4130

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationWashington State Usa
  • why_joining:
    I wanted to get other view points and the terrible post Cymbalta melt down . It would nice to get this drug off the market .

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

That's what I did . Be careful If you feel like weird things are happening , they are . I got some lighter meds that work pretty good . Just be careful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users