• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 talee1960

talee1960

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

For a long time I've wanted to get off Cymbalta (was originally prescribed by my well-meaning-now-retired GP for my perimenopausal ugliness).  He'd said I wouldn't have to be on it long, just get me through this stage in my hormone house party.  I am seeing a therapist which I consider a huge treat to myself, and she's highly qualified. She mentioned some weeks back that she doesn't think I need to be on the Cymbalta - I agreed.

At the doctor this past Monday and he stepped me down from 60mg to 30mg.  Today is day 3 of half dose and OMG.  What is with my CRYING?  I'm a critically busy litigation paralegal - I know what I'm doing and have been one of the best in my field for quite some time!  I'm also pretty fun - or maybe I WAS pretty fun.  The bottom line is, starting yesterday, I can't stop crying.  If someone in the office comes in to see me - I cry.  I had a meeting with the managing partner yesterday (a very sweet guy) and......I cried.  I'm sitting in my office with the door closed now....crying.  I feel completely stupid and guilty and like I should just walk out and not return.  I bit off the receptionist's head this morning just because she's a ditz, but she didn't deserve it.  I'm utterly horrified at the overnight Jekyll-Hyde change in me.  Holy cow......

I've read on these forums this morning and now I'm scared.  I cannot imagine getting worse instead of better once completely done with Cymbalta.  I cannot imagine crying harder, hating people more, being angry all of a sudden, not being able to string two thoughts together or focus on anything.  I work - it's what keeps my family fed and keeps me happy - I LOVE MY JOB! 

Is there ANYTHING out there anyone would suggest?  I'm totally open to natural supplements, activities, staying away from or increasing intake of certain foods - I'll do whatever it takes to not suffer too badly!  I'm 52-1/2 years old, overweight, live in Portland, Oregon, am intelligent and (normally) a happy, funny gal!  HELP ME - PLEASE. 

#2 deb55

deb55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    after three years on Cymbalta, I decided to stop taking this vile drug cold turkey. I need a support group

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

For a long time I've wanted to get off Cymbalta (was originally prescribed by my well-meaning-now-retired GP for my perimenopausal ugliness).  He'd said I wouldn't have to be on it long, just get me through this stage in my hormone house party.  I am seeing a therapist which I consider a huge treat to myself, and she's highly qualified. She mentioned some weeks back that she doesn't think I need to be on the Cymbalta - I agreed.

At the doctor this past Monday and he stepped me down from 60mg to 30mg.  Today is day 3 of half dose and OMG.  What is with my CRYING?  I'm a critically busy litigation paralegal - I know what I'm doing and have been one of the best in my field for quite some time!  I'm also pretty fun - or maybe I WAS pretty fun.  The bottom line is, starting yesterday, I can't stop crying.  If someone in the office comes in to see me - I cry.  I had a meeting with the managing partner yesterday (a very sweet guy) and......I cried.  I'm sitting in my office with the door closed now....crying.  I feel completely stupid and guilty and like I should just walk out and not return.  I bit off the receptionist's head this morning just because she's a ditz, but she didn't deserve it.  I'm utterly horrified at the overnight Jekyll-Hyde change in me.  Holy cow......

I've read on these forums this morning and now I'm scared.  I cannot imagine getting worse instead of better once completely done with Cymbalta.  I cannot imagine crying harder, hating people more, being angry all of a sudden, not being able to string two thoughts together or focus on anything.  I work - it's what keeps my family fed and keeps me happy - I LOVE MY JOB! 

Is there ANYTHING out there anyone would suggest?  I'm totally open to natural supplements, activities, staying away from or increasing intake of certain foods - I'll do whatever it takes to not suffer too badly!  I'm 52-1/2 years old, overweight, live in Portland, Oregon, am intelligent and (normally) a happy, funny gal!  HELP ME - PLEASE. 

It will be alright :)   I am 57 years old and I am on day #18 of going cold turkey.  I am an insurance agent and have had to work everyday through the withdrawal.  You will have good days, and you will have bad days - it is all part of the detox process.  Just keep a good support group or person around you to talk out your feelings.  Know that as abnormal and out of character the behavior you are experiencing is for you, it is normal for this type of withdrawal.  I am not over the withdrawal by any means, but I am 100% better than I was last week.   My train of thought wanders, I sometimes have issues with the written and spoken word, but it is improving.  Good quality vitamins, magnesium supplements, Omega 3 Supreme and yoga have helped me.  This forum has been a blessing as well!!! 

My sons and grandchildren live in Portland...  I cried when I saw your location because I get emotional about everything :unsure:

#3 2WheelHorse

2WheelHorse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationArkansas
  • why_joining:
    Learn from others share and help others by sharing my experience. Become well!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Hi Talee , Click this link to see a post that I wrote about what worked for me.  You don't need to subject yourself  to drastic withdrawals.  There is another way.  I am in the same age group and also have a career which requires me to be stable and with a clear mind.  Much to lose.

https://www.cymbalta...ase-brain-zaps/

Joe

#4 boscodad

boscodad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Hope you are feeling better. 

I don't know why these doctors continue to recommend backing down to 30 mg so quickly.

Bead counting worked for me where you reduce the amount of beads in a 60 mg capsule by

5 to 7 beads per day until you are down to half a capsule....

THEN you back down to the 30 mg and continue with the bead counting, reducing the

beads 7 to 10 per day until there are none left.

This is a great way to GRADUALLY ween off of this drug.

Good luck to you. Let me know if I can help in any way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users